Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,510,878 times

Advertisements

Maybe the Piggy Wigley will move back too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I thought it was Walmart's lower prices and large grocery section that doomed Albertson's the last time they had a presence there? Albertson's quit Ruidoso too some years ago when Walmart opened it's present location. Lawrence Bros. IGA now occupies the old Albertson's here.

I didn't live here then, so I don't know. Albertson's now apparently still has the same name (formerly Albertson's Inc, now Albertson's LCC), but is apparently under new management/owners.

If they can't compete with Walmart, it would surprise me that they would even consider coming back.

Albertson's was so overpriced in Midland that I rarely bothered to go by. I am surprised that they still have their THREE Midland locations, when they have to compete with 2 SuperWalmarts and 2 area HEBs.

In a small town in CO, I asked the agent where I should go to get my groceries. They have a fairly new SuperWalmart--as well as 2 fairly large City Markets.

She told me that the local Albertson's had the best selection and recommended that I go there. She didn't mention price, so I guess I'll find out. I was surprised that she even recommended it at all.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
I'm surprised you aren't attracting hordes of workers from south of the border since it's not that far. They're pretty much the only ones who even do construction work anymore in my area of the country.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I didn't live here then, so I don't know. Albertson's now apparently still has the same name (formerly Albertson's Inc, now Albertson's LCC), but is apparently under new management/owners.
Whatever the reason, it's all very strange. I wonder if Albertson's still requires customers to have their "discount card" in order to get the lowest prices. Several chain stores instituted that policy at one time and I refused to shop in those that required them. I could be mis-remembering, but I seem to recall that Albertson's would honor the card ONLY in the store that issued it. I recall I had to have a card at the one in Ruidoso if I wanted to rent the very cheap videos (now DVDs). They were 49 cents at the time and since it was only a short walk to the store for me I gave in to carrying their card here.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
That would be Albertson's LLC......

Why do you find it strange? Because they left and are coming back? Alamo NEEDS another grocery store badly, as far as I'm concerned!

I vaguely remember a red card that was used at Albertson's, but it's been so long ago!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Why do you find it strange? Because they left and are coming back?!
Exactly. The article I read in the El Paso Times about the return quotes the new Albertson's owners as claiming they have no clue as to why the former owners pulled up stakes. That also seems strange to me - that they are clueless. Considering it was more than just the Alamogordo and Ruidoso stores that closed, you'd think there would be a record easily obtained explaining the reasoning at the time. It was likely tied to the eventual sale of the chain, which occurred about the same time.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 17,004 times
Does anyone have any idea what the names of the construction comanies are? My brother has done this type of work for years, and would liike to move with us to the Alamogordo area?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammijo58 View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the names of the construction comanies are? My brother has done this type of work for years, and would liike to move with us to the Alamogordo area?
White Sands Construction is local and the largest and their office is on 10th street. They are doing several projects currently i.e. the new Fairfield Inn hotel, New health club and gym, New three story bank, new two story wellness center and converting a closed down baskin robbins to a new barbecue restaurant. They also have their signs on several old and closed down businessess for several months with nothing happining yet as i assume it's because they don't have enough skilled employees.

There's also work going on at the schools, new medical offices at the hospital and lots of new housing on the south side of the city and so i'm sure your brother would have no problem finding employment in construction here.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 17,004 times
Thans 80s Guy. He will be getting in touch with them soon. Thanks also about the housing info on the other thread, it has been a great help!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammijo58 View Post
Thans 80s Guy. He will be getting in touch with them soon. Thanks also about the housing info on the other thread, it has been a great help!
You're welcome and i hope it works out o.k. for you .

If your brother does come down first which is an excellent idea there are many safe non national chain motels on White Sands Blvd that have kitchenettes and charge around $150 a week where he can stay when he first gets here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico