Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,401 times

Advertisements

This problem has arisen recently in the Ruidoso area, as reported in the Ruidoso News:

USING STOLEN CHECKS FOR MAKING PURCHASES

Quote:
U.S. postal inspectors report there has been an epidemic of mail thefts, as criminals swipe outgoing checks from mailboxes that have their red flags up. The thieves will steal a check in the morning and cash it by the afternoon, the center said.

The National Check Fraud Center said check washing has increased at an alarming rate.

One of the earlier reported larcenies involved two checks taken from a mailbox that soon were used at Walmart stores in Ruidoso Downs and El Paso for nearly $200 each time.

Walmart, and some other merchants, use electronic funds transfers to automatically receive a payment using the check's account and routing numbers. The check is then handed back to the person that presented it to the checkout clerk.

Seems to me the answer is to return to the system where persons presenting checks for purchases MUST produce a valid I.D. And signatures compared.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
How can a check made out to a specific person or company be used to buy something at Wal-mart unless Wal-mart is part of the conspiracy?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM

692 posts, read 3,143,778 times
Checking Washing.....

Get a Gel Pen to write your checks.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
That's exactly why I have my mail going to a PO box. Not completely immune, but much safer than an outside house box.

I wanted to get the same block box with locking boxes, but didn't manage that here.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,604,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How can a check made out to a specific person or company be used to buy something at Wal-mart unless Wal-mart is part of the conspiracy?
I'm baffled too... so say I make out a check to State Farm... how can somebody steal that and use it to make purchases at Walmart? Isn't State Farm the only one who can use that?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Checking Washing.....

Get a Gel Pen to write your checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I'm baffled too... so say I make out a check to State Farm... how can somebody steal that and use it to make purchases at Walmart? Isn't State Farm the only one who can use that?
They use a process known as check washing, mail snatchers erase the ink on a check with chemicals, rewrite the checks to themselves, possibly increasing the amount payable, then cashing it.

It's not new or unheard of.

Rich

Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM

801 posts, read 2,213,810 times
About three years ago, after having checks stolen from my mailbox, I installed a very heavy-duty, locking mailbox with a 10" slot for mail and small packages. That has worked very well. I think it's better than the multiple-customer boxes. The street adjacent to mine has one of those boxes that serves a number of customers, and someone managed to pry the thing open a year or so ago.

On several occasions, I've seen people driving around neighborhoods opening, checking, and pulling mail out of mailboxes. Unfortunately, each time, I was on my bicycle and couldn't get a license plate ID.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:56 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,452,452 times
Do people really pay by check that much anymore? We use electronic payment for just about everything....

Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Do people really pay by check that much anymore? We use electronic payment for just about everything....
Yes, I believe so. I know people who still go to city hall etc to pay utility bills.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Wow. I guess there is something to be said for the 'bee-hive' mail boxes after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico