Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
That same diesel vehicle probably gets much better mpg at a lower rate of speed.

I bet it is less expensive to haul-@ss in the case of long-haul truckers, but they're mpg is already pretty low. I imagine after a decade or so, diesel prices may help truckers justify a more efficient approach to cross-country travel.

I'm not for letting drivers make the financial decision to drive fast or not. Gasoline/diesel is a national/global resource, it's not up to the go-fast community to determine the rate at which it is used. I think it's fair game to regulate the amount used. Heck, I think you should have to get a permit to own/drive an F-150 or larger (no, owning recreational equipment is not a good reason, you can rent a truck).

Of course, a Euro tax schedule would fix a lot of what I've stated...
Rybert,

Once I swipe my credit card or pay cash for the gasoline I purchase, then it becomes my property, and I utilize it in any manner I wish. I am not sure I am following your train of thought. This would be like mandating that someone be able to use oranges sparingly after a crop freeze in Florida, once the oranges were purchased at Albertson's. You can't do that. That's considered tyranny by government in my estimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers
... wondering why you want higher fuel taxes ...
Lower demand for petroleum in the U.S.
Lower imports ( and improved balance-of-payments ) for the U.S.
Lower income for petroleum exporting countries ( that generally hate us ).
Less need to drill for oil in dangerous places ( wait for better technology ).
Less "need" for military presence in crap-hole places around the world.

More desire and incentive to improve technology for alternatives
such as [ ... anything else ... ].

Since the only way such a tax could possibly happen is if it was revenue-neutral
and corresponded with a reduction in income taxes, I won't say stuff like:

More funding for mass-transit.
More funding for rapid-transit.
More funding for bicycle lanes
( to keep bikes off the streets for desert sun's sake ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
... if you add the typical 10 mph people will be driving near 90 and ...
People keep saying this, but that's because people tend to add 10 mph when they feel
the speed limit is artifically low. Is the "90 mph" theory born out in Texas and Utah?

If so, why do you care if people still want to go 90? I don't care.
As long as you don't ride my arse, go whatever speed you want.

I've read that even on the Autobahn, people tend to only drive 75-80.
Again, I don't care if you want to go 120.

Last edited by mortimer; 05-19-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Rybert,

Once I swipe my credit card or pay cash for the gasoline I purchase, then it becomes my property, and I utilize it in any manner I wish. I am not sure I am following your train of thought. This would be like mandating that someone be able to use oranges sparingly after a crop freeze in Florida, once the oranges were purchased at Albertson's. You can't do that. That's considered tyranny by government in my estimation.
Oranges will not bring the US to its knees. Oil, well, oil has that potential.

If people choose to use oil like absolute morons, something should be done about that.

You're right though, after you purchase it, it's yours. I suppose that's where crazy-go-nuts fuel taxes step-in.

It's not like this hasn't been done before. We've lowered/altered speed limits in the US to promote different driving habits in the past (fuel-efficient driving habits).

I suppose my point was that I find it excessively annoying that something so vital and precious is being used so poorly. Squandering resources is like a *ucking sport in the US. Christ!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
rybert - IIRC the ill fated 55 mph limit was just that - ill fated. it was ignored by most everybody and the right wing grabbed it as an annoying example of the "nanny" state.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Likewise, when the price of gasoline spiked to over $4/gallon
recently, people actually conserved - voluntarily.

If it was $5/gallon, they would conserve more. ... and so on.

Price: It's what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert
That same diesel vehicle probably gets much better mpg at a lower rate of speed.
My point was that someone who is getting 40 mpg at 80 mph is getting penalized because
of someone who couldn't get above 20 mpg if they were going 55. Back in the bad old days
of 55 mph as the national limit, we could have lowered the limit to 45 mph and improved gas
mileage all the more. 55 was a political limit and not based on good science or statistics.
The same goes for keeping the limit at 75.

Gas mileage improves with lower speed -- I don't care.
Severe accidents decrease with lower speed -- I don't care.

Don't drive if you can't deal with the cost/risk.

Last edited by mortimer; 05-19-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
@ Greg's comment:

I suppose that's where speed cameras come into play.

Of course, that's my own personal Catch 22. I HATE speed cameras!

Last edited by rybert; 05-19-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I suppose that's where speed cameras come into play.

Of course, that's my own personal Catch 22. I HATE speed cameras!
As do I Rybert! Really, I just want to be left alone. That being said, I do agree with many of Mortimer's points, they make a lot of sense.

New Mexico's spatial outlay, unfortunately, only exacerbates our need for fuel. Trips from Las Cruces to Albuquerque, for instance, all 230 miles, are common. I am from New Jersey and most people don't make it common place to drive 230 miles unless they are on vacation. Here, people drive from these two cities to have their kids participate in soccer tournaments. If fuels spikes to 5 bucks a gallon (and it will, sooner than we think or will acknowledge) then people in places like Fort Sumner, Silver City and Grants take it in the throat.

I am no seer when it comes to these matters, and I wish I had better answers, but I don't.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I know I have done a similar thread in the past, however, this thread is to know your opinion on where do you think 80 mph speed limits should be introduced if the state were to allow it. There are currently two states in the U.S. that allow 80 mph speed limits, those states are Texas and Utah.

Here is where I would put 80 mph speed limits:
  • I-25 between Las Cruces and Socorro.
  • I-25 between Las Vegas and Raton.
  • I-40 between Albuquerque (west of Unser exit) and Grants (this stretch actually has a minimum speed limit).
  • US 70 through White Sands (the only 75 mph non-interstate stretch of highway in New Mexico).
Does anyone have their own opinions on where the state should introduce 80 mph speed limits if the state were to allow it?
I think not only out west, but in many rural lightly travelled areas, east or west, they should introduce this. In Virginia, for example, a virtual police state in more senses of the word than one, you have only a 65 mph limit on interstates (e.g. 1-81 in some areas of rural Southwest Virginia you could go 75 or even 80 safely, this stretch of interstate is much more lightly travelled than 1-75 in neighboring Ky., which has a 70 mph limit, even within Lexington city limits). People drive 75 to 80 almost exclusively, and I know if in more populated East and South they do it, imagine in lightly populated New Mexico or Montana or wherever.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:33 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
I think not only out west, but in many rural lightly travelled areas, east or west, they should introduce this. In Virginia, for example, a virtual police state in more senses of the word than one, you have only a 65 mph limit on interstates (e.g. 1-81 in some areas of rural Southwest Virginia you could go 75 or even 80 safely, this stretch of interstate is much more lightly travelled than 1-75 in neighboring Ky., which has a 70 mph limit, even within Lexington city limits). People drive 75 to 80 almost exclusively, and I know if in more populated East and South they do it, imagine in lightly populated New Mexico or Montana or wherever.
Well, I am pleased to inform you that Virginia is raising their state speed limit to 70 mph in July. I-85 in Virginia has actually had a 70 mph limit as a pilot project to raise the state speed limit, and now it has been made official by Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell. I would also expect I-95 south of Petersburg to get raised to 70 mph, and perhaps I-64 west of Richmond (except near Charlottesville).

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Well, I am pleased to inform you that Virginia is raising their state speed limit to 70 mph in July. I-85 in Virginia has actually had a 70 mph limit as a pilot project to raise the state speed limit, and now it has been made official by Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell. I would also expect I-95 south of Petersburg to get raised to 70 mph, and perhaps I-64 west of Richmond (except near Charlottesville).
Thanks, that is fantastic news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico