Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM

471 posts, read 977,336 times

Advertisements

I would never drive it, getting somewhere that fast is just not worth the waste of gas it causes. Lets realize that people who want to drive 80 are already doing it. Leave the speed limit like it is, the racers gives the cops some easy pickin's to fill their quotas and they leave the rest of us alone..

It is always funny to see some Corvette blast by me on the expressway and then see some Kia flying behind it trying to "run with the big dog"

Almost as funny as seeing some Corvette putzing along slow and wondering why the driver bought it in the first place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
If you want to go that fast, have at it. I agree with others that my MPG goes to pot and it is not worth it. I set my cruise on 70 and leave it there. Maybe someday have adaptive cruise.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM

295 posts, read 591,888 times
From Albuquerque to Santa Fe it should increase from 75 to 80. I rarely see people doing the speed limit on my way to the City different.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
From Albuquerque to Santa Fe it should increase from 75 to 80. I rarely see people doing the speed limit on my way to the City different.
To the contrary, I often see people going dangerously slower than the speed limit, particularly on La Bajada hill (and usually in the fast lane), and on the hills next to the San Felipe exit.

I could live with 75 for the span north of Bernalillo if they'd just raise it back to 75 from 70 between Bernalillo and Tramway. There's plenty of visibility and lanes and no risk of hitting anything on that span, any worse than other stretches of 75 throughout the state.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:29 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
The interstates in NM are rather car free. I see no real reason not to have the speed limits at 80 mph on the interstates outside of ABQ. I used to zing around at 80+ mph on much more congested highways in Jersey.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
The problem is that this state's speed limits are too damn HIGH as it is. Most New Mexicans have older cars which were built back in the days when the maximum speeds were 55. Our cars can't "keep up with the flow of traffic" if 80mph speeds are actually ALLOWED. You're proposing basically outlawing older, slower, CHEAPER (in a state with an 80% poverty rate!) cars. Hell no. I recently got pulled over for going "too slow" so I'm going to fight to have the speed limits LOWERED back down to SAFETY. Nothing over 55 is SAFE, people. And 55 is the best speed for not wasting gas.

States which have higher maximum speeds also have posted "MINIMUM" speeds so that people in older/slower cars stand a fighting chance of not getting ridiculous tickets for "impeding the flow of traffic." Traffic shouldn't be allowed to "flow" at dangerously high speeds. I LIKE my Geo Metro. I will not have it basically, in a nutshell, outlawed for me to drive it.
A laughable post. If someone's car can't handle modern highway speeds they shouldn't be on the highway. But they'd have to be in pretty awful shape to not maintain 55. And if you're worried about obstructing traffic, go 55 and stay out of the left lane.

Nothing over 0 MPH is "safe".

Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
I would never drive it, getting somewhere that fast is just not worth the waste of gas it causes. Lets realize that people who want to drive 80 are already doing it. Leave the speed limit like it is, the racers gives the cops some easy pickin's to fill their quotas and they leave the rest of us alone..

It is always funny to see some Corvette blast by me on the expressway and then see some Kia flying behind it trying to "run with the big dog"

Almost as funny as seeing some Corvette putzing along slow and wondering why the driver bought it in the first place...
Or let's change it, you can continue to drive slowly, and those choosing to drive at an obviously safe speed won't have to pay BS fines.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 PM

96 posts, read 210,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
No. The amount of fuel wasted traveling at that speed is too high.
Rybert wants to go back to 55 mph. Moderator cut: Please leave out your political comments

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-25-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 PM

96 posts, read 210,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
A laughable post.
How so? This attitude is in keeping with that all 90% of New Mexicans: "I'm poor, and so the government should cater to my interests: free health care, slow speed limits, food stamps, etc."

If you drive a nice fast car? Tough. Nobody should work hard and be able to afford something nice.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Set the limit anywhere you want. The fast guys will ignore it anyway in the wide open places. The slow guys will try and block anyone from going unsafely fast.

IIRC Rt 60 west of Socorro already has a 75 mph limit and it is an undivided 2 lane. FWIW - If you want to go fast try maintaining a 50 mph average on the Bursam Road or the Road to Mogollon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico