Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 11:46 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there any particular reason why blue street name signs aren't allowed on New Mexico state highways? This doesn't seem to be an issue in other states, where I have seen blue signs on both state and even U.S. highways.

If you have ever wondered why the lighted blue signs on Coors from St. Joseph north to Irving were changed to green, it is because of New Mexico laws prohibiting blue street name signs on state highways. Coors is New Mexico State Highway 448 from St. Joseph northward to Alameda Blvd, with State Highway 448 continuing northbound via Corrales Road.

So, why would New Mexico have a problem with blue street name signs and other states do not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 PM

4,873 posts, read 4,816,295 times
I'm only being half facetious, but maybe the green sign paint suppliers had better lobbyists and made more political contributions.

Several years ago, when I lived elsewhere, there was a push to go from requiring one license plate on vehicle to two. Ease of policing was always the stated reason, until one of the newspapers found out that 3M (the manufacturer of license plate reflective coating) and their money was behind it. That ended the effort.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,410,091 times
I think it's because the blue street signs would disappear in our beautiful blue skies!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
I think it's because the blue street signs would disappear in our beautiful blue skies!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,197,204 times
Some states are trying to unify street sign appearance and have used the colors to designate whether a road is a public road or private road. In a lot of eastern states green street signs=public and blue signs=private.

Perhaps NM is going that route...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,819,404 times
The only state that I can recall consistently using blue street signs is California. I was in Missouri two weekends ago, in several suburban communities surrounding St.Louis and I was wondering if the same contractor made these signs that are currently in Las Cruces. They look virtually identical.

Philadelphia, for sure, uses green street signs, with geocoding above the names. El Paso uses green street signs. I think New Mexico is actually in the majority.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Why no blue street name signs allowed on New Mexico state highways?
Where did you determine that blue street name signs are not allowed on New Mexico state highways? Is that a law or ordinance that is published?
There has been an International sign standards for years which has been very popular in Europe and some parts of South America etc. Many U.S. Citizens seem to have a difficult time obtaining their International Driving Permit (IDP) because of the variety of signs and their meanings. Generall each color (and shape also) used on a sign has a general meaning attached to it. Thus, the color alerts the driver of what to expect ahead. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), a document published by the U.S. Department of Transportation, establishes standardized meanings for each color used in traffic signs. It also reserves three other colors for future use.
Yellow - General Warning
Red - Stop or Prohibition
Blue - Motorist Services Guidance
Green - Indicated Movements Permitted, Direction Guidance
Brown - Recreational and Cultural Interest Guidance
Orange - Construction and Maintenance Warning
Black - Regulation
White - Regulation
Strong Yellow-Green - Pedestrian, Bicycle, and School Crossings
Purple - Unassigned
Light - Blue Unassigned
Coral - Unassigned

Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
I found that in Taos County, blue street name signs are in the Town of Taos limits, while green street name signs are outside the town limits, in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico