Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:06 AM

716 posts, read 1,238,111 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans but haven't gotten the oportunity. My friend went a week before Katrina and said it was packed all the time and I've seen pictures of it and can't picture it being so packed. is it like that a lot or is it dead more often than not? Is it a big tourist place still? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I've always wanted to go to New Orleans but haven't gotten the oportunity. My friend went a week before Katrina and said it was packed all the time and I've seen pictures of it and can't picture it being so packed. is it like that a lot or is it dead more often than not? Is it a big tourist place still? Just wondering.
It's still a huge tourist destination though not quite as busy as it was before the storm.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Just as packed on the weekends, but not like it was during the weekdays before the storm. Still missing about 100,000 people from the city.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
It's worth no more than a two day visit.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Not to me.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM

310 posts, read 854,905 times
Quote:
If someone thought it was worth no more than a 2 day visit before the storm, they'd think the same now - that has nothing to do with the storm.

Tourism is increasing every year and weekends can be madness. Some nights of the week can be crowded too, but not every night like before the storm. You're not going to find it "dead" unless it's freezing cold outside like the last 2 nights were. Tourists are coming back in droves, especially for the big festivals. The city is getting packed when larger conventions are in town too. I think if you came with your friend, they'd never know the difference between this time and the first time they were here.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM

31 posts, read 104,404 times
I think it's interesting about how near recession our country is in. Yet, I see all the tourist coming here and spending money for rooms, eats and drinks. They also spend money on many other things such as swamp tours and such. Everybody wants to see some alligators!
I use to love to go down there in the fall, but it is quite busy then. The best time to come visit with the least people is right now till maybe late January except around sugar bowl when it is crazy.
I hope you enjoy your visit. New Orleans will always be New Awluns.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 PM

63 posts, read 564,879 times
New Orleans is still a great tourist destination and it is never dead. Anyone who says it is only worth a two day visit is so wrong. You need a day to visit the Louisiana museum next to St. Louis Cathedral and and the African American museum on Gov Nichols to really get a historical background on the city. That same day you can take one of the bus tours and visit the cemeteries then eat at Lil Dizzy or Zea's. The next day you can visit the french market and french quarter and eat at Cafe Du Monde for breakfast and Montreals for lunch or dinner. You can check out the tourist trap Bourbon Street and then move on to the locals Bourbon street which is Frenchmen Street. Frenchmen Street alone requires at least a 3 day visit. Get a Where Y'at, Gambit, or Off Beat to find out who is playing where in the street. No visit would be complete without seeing Mario Abney an amazing trumpeter or Glen David Andrews or his cousin Trombone Shorty. The next day take a ride on the ferry and have a poor boy at The Dry Dock Cafe or walk to Tout de Suite on Verrett to have some of their great breakfast. The farmer brown breakfast or the Ranchero breakfast is awesome. That evening check out Irvin Mayfields Playhouse in the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Another day can be spent riding the St.Charles street car and eating at Zea's or Hoshun or Houston's right on St.Charles. Hop back on the Street car and ride past Tulane University and get off and explore Audubon Park. Lake Ponchartrain is lovely to visit as is City Park and there are many, many, many music venues to visit. You need about 5 days to visit New Orleans unless you are just here to get drunk then 2 days will do it. Jazz Fest is an amazing time of the year as is French Quarter Fest, Gretna Fest and Essence Fest. Hit me up if you need assistance when you come.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 AM

129 posts, read 316,825 times
Two days is nowhere near enough time to explore all that New Orleans has to offer. We just moved here this weekend and I'm so happy that I can finally see everything the city has to offer. We usually only come for a day or two and I always feel that I am missing out on all of the great stuff.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM

880 posts, read 1,251,966 times
Quote:
Lies. We have been visiting twice a year since 2008 and still find new things to see and do, not to mention restaurants and music acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans