Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM

48 posts, read 80,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Google never updates Street View in America anymore, they're mostly focusing on other countries like Russia now. They have images on there like 5 years old in a lot of places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon 12 View Post
I saw a street view car here in Baton Rouge about a year ago, so I guess they're still updating.
I know it's not a good measure but they certainly come through San Francisco fairly regularly.

I never realized the dates were at the bottom of each picture. I noticed that there's occassionally a 2009 watermark on the actual image, though. I've actually read that there were plans to update the street views for New Orleans around that time but I guess that never happened. You would think Google would be on top of this as they're all about activism and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,952,344 times
I actually saw the Google car on St. Charles last year. So maybe some have been updated.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisanonymous View Post
I know it's not a good measure but they certainly come through San Francisco fairly regularly.

I never realized the dates were at the bottom of each picture. I noticed that there's occassionally a 2009 watermark on the actual image, though. I've actually read that there were plans to update the street views for New Orleans around that time but I guess that never happened. You would think Google would be on top of this as they're all about activism and whatnot.
Honey, *everythang* comes through San Francisco that has anything to do with Google. New Orleans ain't SF.

I actually live in Berkeley and was in New Orleans for the first time last month. Stayed several weeks. Here is my advice: get over any impression you have of what "nice" looks like in gentrified terms.

Don't get it twisted-- I LOVED New Orleans. Think its one of the best places I have ever been. But its real. Hard real. Poor real. Different real. Not the polished up yuppie idea of real. There are people with money, sure. But there are lots more without it. The place is a city of artists of all stripes and they don't all have coin. Watch you some "Treme" first and THEN ask your question.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Watch you some "Treme" first and THEN ask your question.

I LOVE this! Do it!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM

48 posts, read 80,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Honey, *everythang* comes through San Francisco that has anything to do with Google. New Orleans ain't SF.

I actually live in Berkeley and was in New Orleans for the first time last month. Stayed several weeks. Here is my advice: get over any impression you have of what "nice" looks like in gentrified terms.

Don't get it twisted-- I LOVED New Orleans. Think its one of the best places I have ever been. But its real. Hard real. Poor real. Different real. Not the polished up yuppie idea of real. There are people with money, sure. But there are lots more without it. The place is a city of artists of all stripes and they don't all have coin. Watch you some "Treme" first and THEN ask your question.
I'm confused. I put is a disclaimer that my example wasn't a good measure for New Orleans, and I didn't ask a question, and I haven't mentioned anything about the look of things. Is this advice meant for me?

I'll check out the show, though. Not because I'm ignorant of places that are "real" but because I've always heard good things about The Wire.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,360,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Google never updates Street View in America anymore, they're mostly focusing on other countries like Russia now. They have images on there like 5 years old in a lot of places.
Calm your nerves. You can't update every image of every American city in just a couple years.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 31,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrtx View Post
I mean no offense to anyone and I am trying to keep an open mind but every time I put in an Uptown address from a Craigslist ad into Google Maps I feel like I'm looking at the hood.

If I did the same for good neighborhoods in cities like Austin or Atlanta or DC, then the housing and street look normal.
I guess because it is...

Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,952,344 times
I hate "Treme". That is all.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,270,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrtx View Post
I mean no offense to anyone and I am trying to keep an open mind but every time I put in an Uptown address from a Craigslist ad into Google Maps I feel like I'm looking at the hood.
If I did the same for good neighborhoods in cities like Austin or Atlanta or DC, then the housing and street look normal.
Regarding New Orleans looking dumpy in google view...hmm?? Seems to me that they are still struggling to "fix themselves up" after Katrina devastated them. It has to be costing them more money than I will ever see in my lifetime to fix things. Something as simple as repaving a street or cleaning up fallen trees or replacing buildings will break a city's budget. The last thing I would ever do would be to refer to New Orleans as looking dumpy...how about saying BRAVE or DETERMINED?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,857,480 times
^^

You got that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans