Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM

135 posts, read 412,632 times

Advertisements

We may leave. Making decision today. I live in Mandeville and have two close friends- one in St.Tammany parish gov't and one who works for Entergy. Both may leave. With info I have, think I may leave as well. Don't want to face power outage in this heat with a small child. Worried more about water than wind, but still watching the updates. I don't want a surprise when it's too late to leave. Better safe than sorry. Family in Slidell plans on leaving as well.
This morning the gas stations over here had lines into the streets. The grocery shelves were emptying. At least people who are staying will be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM

268 posts, read 744,110 times
If you can get out with no loss of income or major disruption, ALWAYS get out if you live in low-lying
areas. Ironically all of NO is NOT considered low-lying. Anywhere near the river is usually safe, and
going out Bayou St. John is too. But I grew up in the German Coast upriver, and we never went
ANYWHERE. We simply filled the tub with water, boarded up the windows and tied down all the carports
and swing sets and such. Rode out dozens of big ones. But that was a half a block from the levee in
St. Charles Parish.

All that said, not sure I'd go for this one....looks AWFULLY stupid, trying over and over to organize an
eye wall, but its just not having much luck. I doubt you will get much flooding. LOTS of trees down
though if the rain has been as bad as folks say lately. If you are staying make sure to make beaucoup
ice and have a generator and a tub of water. We used to freeze gallon jugs and 2 liter bottles for a week
prior to the storms. If I was in the area, this storm would not move me.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
I am torn. The house I am in didn't flood during Katrina, and its on Esplanade at Burgundy (edge iof the Quarter.) Nevertheless, I am thinking I might go, just for the sheer discomfort of sitting in August heat without AC or running water. We have just been given two days off by my employer to get outta town.

First, where to go? How far away and in what direction? I have no relatives or pals in the state and am open. Second-- I have a two story place-- wise to move the furniture upstairs or keep it where it is?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 12,816 times
If you live in Lakeview would you leave? Are you leaving? We have small children and we keep going back and forth between staying and going.

We have no relatives nearby (closest is in Biloxi, which, for obvious reasons we're not heading that way) so where do we go if we leave? Like confusedasusual said, what direction?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I am torn. The house I am in didn't flood during Katrina, and its on Esplanade at Burgundy (edge iof the Quarter.) Nevertheless, I am thinking I might go, just for the sheer discomfort of sitting in August heat without AC or running water. We have just been given two days off by my employer to get outta town.

First, where to go? How far away and in what direction? I have no relatives or pals in the state and am open. Second-- I have a two story place-- wise to move the furniture upstairs or keep it where it is?

I wouldn't worry too much about the downstairs flooding, especially where you are. We're talking street flooding, not house flooding and that's some of the highest ground in the city.

I would however, empty the fridge. You don't want to come home to a fridge that has been without power for a few days.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Head north. Jackson, Baton Rouge,, maybe Shreveport. Stop when you find a room. Call ahead to see if you can get a reservation in Br.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Here in Tennessee we really feel for ya'll. Stay safe.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
SW Fla was a non event. We are hoping the best for you folk. Above and beyond, stay safe!!! We come into this life with nothing, we leave with nothing. Material items are just that, items. Keep what is important at the top of the list, important! Hopefully it'll just be some rain and some wind but prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Exactly. The storm protection system is in much better shape now. There will be some street flooding because I don't believe all the pumps are up to full capacity, but things should be okay.
Ha, there is street flooding with any heavy rain. Better hope you're not parked on the wrong street on the wrong day, you'll end up with carpet damage.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Fox News just had on a prominent meteriologist, Joe Bastardi. He says this storm is moving very slowly. This will cause the hurricane to affect the New Orleans area longer than Katrina did 7 years ago. 15 or more inches of rain is possible. In addition, he says the storm may go just west of New Orleans, but the strongest part of the storm is on the east side of the storm, right over New Orleans. In addition to flooding caused by rain, there could be a 15 foot tital surge coming from Lake Pontchatrain. The pumps may not be able to handle all of that flooding.

I'm originally from Louisiana and lived in the New Orleans meto area for many years, so I've been through hurricanes. I say, "Get out while you can."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans