Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 06:40 AM

4 posts, read 17,448 times

Advertisements

I have been given the chance to work in Tomball, TX or New Orleans and would like to know what people who have lived in the Houston area and New Orleans area have to say about each place. Such as youth and adult sports leagues, parks, outdoor/indoor family activities, weather, neighborhood friendliness, schools.... Any and all feedback will be appreciated......Is one safer than the other really? Cost of food, utilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,432 times
I currently live about two hours from New Orleans and I have relatives that live in Houston so I visit that city quite often as well. Personally even though I like New Orleans better, I think Houston would probably be better situated for your needs regarding schools. However property taxes and utilities are alot higher in Texas, and the crime rate between the two metros are actually pretty similar if you take into account Houston's problem with illegal immigration and the gang problem in certain areas of the city such as Sharpstown, Gulfton, or the Fifth Ward.

Both cities however have safe suburbs such as Mandeville, LA & Slidell, LA in New Orleans and Kingwood, TX & The Woodlands, TX in Houston.

Last edited by diablo234; 11-28-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM

166 posts, read 682,825 times
I am originally from Louisiana and lived in New Orleans for 4.5 years and I now live in Houston suburbs (the Woodlands area). For your needs I would have to say Houston but the suburbs as the previous poster mentioned.

Utilities depends on which electrical company you choose. Food prices are about what and what between the two cities. Extracurricular activities Houston by far has a ton of things to do so you can't go wrong with that. I don't know much about all the Independent School districts in Houston and especially not Tomball but on an average I think the education would be far better in Houston than in Louisiana.

Good Luck!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 PM

258 posts, read 1,021,058 times
Schools are better in Houston but the culture and is in New Orleans.
If you're a talented, open mind who can offer the city something, you'll go far more appreciated here than ever in TX. New Orleans people love when people want to make their city better in the new post-Katrina environment.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
Having grown up in N.O. and currently having family in Houston, here's my take: Houston has far more Baptists & Mega-churches than N.O., with the accompanying cultural implications. Depending on how you look at things, that could either be a "pro" or a "con."

Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
New Orleans:
Culture
Food
Urbanity
Relatively safe areas vs dangerous areas
Good private schools, relatively good public schools (Jefferson Parish, Handfull in Orleans Parish)
Dense, everything is close together
Diverse

Houston:
Sprawl
Strip malls and chain stores
Better schools
Safe areas vs not so safe areas
Generic
Looks like a giant Metairie (imo)

It's like Houston's Cons are New Orleans' Pros and vice versa.
Education would be the only factor to make me choose Houston, other than that it would be New Orleans hands down

Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 51,312 times
lol

That's the second time I've heard that Houston looks like "a giant Metairie". OMG. That's crazy.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 23,615 times
I live in Spring Tx.. just.. 20 minutes down the road for Tomball.. IT's suburbia close enough to the country.. IT has an Awesome Out door drive in Movie place.. great community college.. close to the renisance festivasl.. close to a great community college.. and Tomball is far oawy from Houston that most people don't know it..
Tomball has a cute antique shop district .. where the Ladies can get there ice tea and chicken salad sandwhiches.. Houston is Awesome with sooooo much to do you 'll never lack for restuaraunts and enertaining family that come to town.. Trust. me.. The only down side is Spring time when the pollen explodes all at once.. aaa chooo! you can grow citrus trees here.. You can get a house for a great price.. Tomball has a desirable community and if you can get into the Klien School distric then you are doing pretty good..
As for parks yTomball rocks.. there is a ymca that really nice there.. try typing harris county precinct four for your parks systems.. there are also an organic pick your own farm called matts orchard.. Soccer is really big in houston. (Houston Dynamo's did win once already
There are immigrants from all over .. not all are illegal.. the diversity is good.. As for the Large Churches.. Well when there is a city of over 4 million people.. I suppose they need a nice place to go on Sundays if you find a yahoo group.. or meet up .. you will find people with simalar interest in houston without a doubt.. WE are probally getting relocated to another state and I am sick to leave houston area.. becuaes it is a great place.. mueseums are out of this world, the aquarium, the town centers with fountains, Spring creek, the fishing, Moody Gardens in Galveston, Near by state and nation parks.. the weather is fantastic all but 3 summer months when it is hot... but as long as you have access to a swimming pool and sun block you should be fine..

Last edited by Thistle Zen; 03-09-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
TX property taxes are high but there's no state income tax, so it usually evens out. Housing is cheaper on the whole. And public schools are much better.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 AM

6 posts, read 20,845 times
Houston has lots of people and concrete and shopping malls. New Orleans has history, food and culture. Choose Houston if you are boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans