Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gls79 View Post
I'm suppose to visit the city after Memorial Day. Now I'm getting a little nervous and I almost want to back out. But I also don't want to miss the opportunity too see another part of the US I may not ever have the chance to again. Is it really that bad of a place?
This happened in a sketchy neighborhood. I don't live in the safest neighborhood myself but I never feel reason to be afraid.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
This happened in a sketchy neighborhood. I don't live in the safest neighborhood myself but I never feel reason to be afraid.
Thanks. I am excited to visit but I have to admit. Hearing this story today has made me a bit nervous. I also live in a city with lots of crime for its size in Michigan. But mainly the shootings that happen don't seem to be random. And I guess it's home to me so I'm use to it.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gls79 View Post
I'm suppose to visit the city after Memorial Day. Now I'm getting a little nervous and I almost want to back out. But I also don't want to miss the opportunity too see another part of the US I may not ever have the chance to again. Is it really that bad of a place?
Yes, obviously it is that dangerous. 19 people were shot, in one day in one place. I grew up in Philly and I am no stranger to violence. I've been mugged before in the Center City area of Philly, my sister's fiance was car jacked in South Philly one time and I have also been accosted and almost mugged while visiting friends in Atlanta. But never have I witnessed the lever of 3rd world violence that is so common in New Orleans.

It truly is sad as New Orleans is a great city but apparently the residents do not care enough to do anything about it as this seems to be all too common. It appears as if people do not care, as evidenced by the lack of comments on this very same page on the very day that 19 people were shot in broad daylight. People in New Orleans should be ashamed of themselves, and then to look at these comments on other pages in the New Orleans and it is obvious that people want the city to be more akin to the other southern city's such as Houston and Atlanta. News Flash people that will never happen if you don't get the violence in check. Mardi Gras and tourism are not enough to sustain a respectable economic engine for the city. In order to enter the big leagues you need big business. And as long as New Orleans has a perception as a wild west town where anything goes crime-wise then that will never happen. It will always be a second rate city in the country and even a third rate city in the south when compared to Houston, ATL, Miami, and even places like Charlotte.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKrukReloaded View Post
Yes, obviously it is that dangerous. 19 people were shot, in one day in one place. I grew up in Philly and I am no stranger to violence. I've been mugged before in the Center City area of Philly, my sister's fiance was car jacked in South Philly one time and I have also been accosted and almost mugged while visiting friends in Atlanta. But never have I witnessed the lever of 3rd world violence that is so common in New Orleans.

It truly is sad as New Orleans is a great city but apparently the residents do not care enough to do anything about it as this seems to be all too common. It appears as if people do not care, as evidenced by the lack of comments on this very same page on the very day that 19 people were shot in broad daylight. People in New Orleans should be ashamed of themselves, and then to look at these comments on other pages in the New Orleans and it is obvious that people want the city to be more akin to the other southern city's such as Houston and Atlanta. News Flash people that will never happen if you don't get the violence in check. Mardi Gras and tourism are not enough to sustain a respectable economic engine for the city. In order to enter the big leagues you need big business. And as long as New Orleans has a perception as a wild west town where anything goes crime-wise then that will never happen. It will always be a second rate city in the country and even a third rate city in the south when compared to Houston, ATL, Miami, and even places like Charlotte.
It's possible that the people who live here (myself included) had other things to worry about than what the internet response to this would be.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Like a friend of mine who is in the media: "Perception is Reality" and while not as severe, this shooting is perceived along the lines of local terror just like the Boston Marathon bombing. Like it or not, for a city where tourism is a major part of the economy, this violence doesn't help give people a sense of confidence in booking a trip to NOLA.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Like a friend of mine who is in the media: "Perception is Reality" and while not as severe, this shooting is perceived along the lines of local terror just like the Boston Marathon bombing. Like it or not, for a city where tourism is a major part of the economy, this violence doesn't help give people a sense of confidence in booking a trip to NOLA.
If it bleeds, it leads. Add to that the fact that any story on New Orleans is guaranteed to get some polarized responses, and it's easy to see why this has gotten so much play.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
If it bleeds, it leads. Add to that the fact that any story on New Orleans is guaranteed to get some polarized responses, and it's easy to see why this has gotten so much play.
19 people got shot though. Show me another story that happened today in any other city where 19 folks got ****. Lmao.@ you.trying marginalize this story like its just another random ghetto shooting. On a Sunday...on a mothers day no less.

Stop trying to.defend what happened and accept the fact that yall.got.some.serious problems down there.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
19 people got shot though. Show me another story that happened today in any other city where 19 folks got ****. Lmao.@ you.trying marginalize this story like its just another random ghetto shooting. On a Sunday...on a mothers day no less.

Stop trying to.defend what happened and accept the fact that yall.got.some.serious problems down there.
Sure, boss. Whatever you say.

After I heard about the shooting I did what I usually do on Sundays, which is pick up trash around my neighborhood. Why? Because clean neighborhoods are safer. So stop yapping from wherever the hell Reynoldstown is.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Sure, boss. Whatever you say.

After I heard about the shooting I did what I usually do on Sundays, which is pick up trash around my neighborhood. Why? Because clean neighborhoods are safer. So stop yapping from wherever the hell Reynoldstown is.
19 people got shot. Go google the web and see if madness like that happened in any other city in the US today. Hell see if.it happened anywhere else in the world today.

And Reynoldstown is a neighborhood in NE Atlanta. You are familiar with Atlanta right? LOL

Once again 19 people got shot. How is that not a big deal?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
19 people got shot. Go google the web and see if madness like that happened in any other city in the US today. Hell see if.it happened anywhere else in the world today.

And Reynoldstown is a neighborhood in SE Atlanta. You are familiar with Atlanta right? LOL

Once again 19 people got shot. How is that not a big deal?
Yeah, Atlanta has a flag football team, maybe an airport. Can you give me any reason to take you seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans