Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM

21 posts, read 65,090 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on areas where I should look to rent.

Details:
Rent: below or around $1100 total.
Wanted: 2 br/1 ba in a walkable area.

Looking in Mid-City right now and have heard Bywater (river-side of St. Claude) is safe. Is this doable? Any other location suggestions?

Are there any areas to flat out avoid?

I've checked out the threads I found of people in a similar situation, but rent $ has been different.
Edit: Also looking at the Nola Crime Map

Last edited by grad2012; 07-08-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Mid-City would probably offer the best in terms of safety and quality of the house/apartment, as the Bywater as gotten more expensive in the past years.
You could also look in The Warehouse District, Carrolton, and the other areas of Uptown.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
See: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...moving-no.html

The most walkable areas are going to be:

1. The older neighborhoods along the river (Marigny/Bywater, FQ, Warehouse, Magazine St, Carrollton, etc.)

2. Mid-City near Canal St. and Carrollton Ave.

3. Bayou St. John near the end of Esplanade Ave.

In Mid-City, try to avoid the area near Tulane Ave. Between Banks and Orleans from Jeff Davis to City Park Ave. is pretty solid and walkable. There is lots of commerce on Carrollton. Between Carrollton and City Park Ave is safer.

In Bywater, its pretty safe between the river and St. Claude. The Marigny just upriver tends to have more crime.

Uptown and Carrollton can be a little tricky as people have different definitions of the two. The area upriver from Carrollton Ave. can get sketchy real quick once you get past Oak St. Between Carrollton Ave. and Tulane U there are some bad pockets once you get away from the main streets.

Uptown between Freret St and the river from Napolean to Broadway is pretty freakin safe. From Napolean heading downtown, you have to watch it. Between St. Charles and Magazine is your best bet. You can stretch these boundaries some, but Central City, the Irish Channel (from Annunciation to the river) and River Gardens are areas you want to avoid. Magazine St. will have most of the commerce, but parts of Prytania, Tchoupitoulas and Freret have stores and restaurants as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM

21 posts, read 65,090 times
Thanks so much for the replies, especially regarding central city and the irish channel. There are so many listings there.

I'm mainly looking on padmapper/craigslist and nola.com - are there any other sites I should be looking at?

Oh and regarding the Warehouse District... Are there any boundaries I need to keep in mind there?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad2012 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies, especially regarding central city and the irish channel. There are so many listings there.

I'm mainly looking on padmapper/craigslist and nola.com - are there any other sites I should be looking at?

Oh and regarding the Warehouse District... Are there any boundaries I need to keep in mind there?
Central City and Irish Channel do have some ok areas, but you need to know where they are. There are a lot of listings that will say "Uptown", but they'll be located deep in Central City or a sketchy block in the Irish Channel. If you have a location in mind, let us know and can help you out.

A lot of landlords will just put signs out front and not do an online listing. So it definitely helps to be here and pass through some of the neighborhoods.

The Warehouse Dist. from Loyola Ave to the river is all good. Lots of young professionals, nightlife and easy access to other parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans