Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 19,873 times

Advertisements

I have lived in beautiful New Orleans for the past 3 years and am on my way out. I am heartbroken to leave, but for the sake of my career, I have to. Never in my life have I experienced issues such as I have here. I wonder if its just me, or if others can chime in.

First, I am not from here. I moved here from SoCal. I work for a large non-profit and was thrilled when I was able to come here. I have loved the city since my first visit over a decade ago. I am at a mid level in my career (I am 37), and was on the way up in my last position.

The first few months were fine. Everyone was extremely friendly and kind. I loved my workplace. I felt welcome. But then the cracks began to show.

No one seems interested in getting much done. I am used to a "laid back" vibe, but at the end of the day, we have actual deliverables. I am one of the only people in my office who seem to care. Our support staff does nothing-- they call in all the time, mouth off to managers, play video games, etc. But guess what? They are FROM here. They have other family members who work in the organization. So they just kind of hang out.

The nepotism is out of control. Our org got dinged from HQ for all the hiring of relatives, husbands and wives supervising one another, etc. They put out new policy that forbade this. Leadership paid lip service and went on with business as usual. EVERYONE hires their friends and kids. And nothing actually gets accomplished.

And, I am sad to say this, but this is the first time I have felt any racial bias at work. Most of our org is made up of African Americans (about 70%). I am not one-- my background is Hispanic and Caucasian. Whenever a promotion opens up it is IMMEDIATELY filled without being advertised and 90% of the time it is an African American who rides Zulu with the boss, or was in an fraternity/sorority from Xavier. When I asked about opportunities for advancement I was flat out told that you have to "be part of the dominant culture."

So basically, I have a choice to stay in my slot and give birth to some kids here hoping they will be accepted, or move on. I am very sad that this is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
A lot of non-profits here serve as conduits for relatives. With that "dominant culture" statement I'd say you have a pretty good EEOC complaint, should you choose to go that route.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
Sounds some what like Chicago'' and yes I am part of the MACHINE...

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 19,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
A lot of non-profits here serve as conduits for relatives. With that "dominant culture" statement I'd say you have a pretty good EEOC complaint, should you choose to go that route.

I asked for clarification and the person who said it hrrrumphed and said that he meant being part of the team. Uh huh. I am not buying that for a minute. This is one of our Directors, and he is an absolute slimeball. I asked a question in a meeting once and he told my boss to counsel me that I was not allowed to ask him any questions about any decisions he had made. I was floored. The meeting was held to address recent changes in policies. I was never clear if it was just me who was not allowed to ask or anyone.

The place I work is lousy with EEO complaints-- that's another thing I am not entirely used to. Look crooked at someone or don't say hello in the morning and there is a complaint filed. HQ is constantly hiring new legal advisors to come in and try to figure out how to mitigate these but so far its not gotten any better.

We have an entire extended family from St Bernard working in one department. Dad is the boss, mom is the deputy and the kids hold various mid level positions. Even grandma works with them part time. They are constantly fighting-- the parents are in a very unhappy marriage and will throw things at one another, stomp out of the office, get into screaming matches about non-work related stuff. I have never seen anything like it.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,455 times
That really sounds like a VERY coincidental experience. I've lived here my whole life, care very much about my work and have never seen anyone act like that on an office.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonycanary View Post
I have lived in beautiful New Orleans for the past 3 years and am on my way out. I am heartbroken to leave, but for the sake of my career, I have to. Never in my life have I experienced issues such as I have here. I wonder if its just me, or if others can chime in.

First, I am not from here. I moved here from SoCal. I work for a large non-profit and was thrilled when I was able to come here. I have loved the city since my first visit over a decade ago. I am at a mid level in my career (I am 37), and was on the way up in my last position.

The first few months were fine. Everyone was extremely friendly and kind. I loved my workplace. I felt welcome. But then the cracks began to show.

No one seems interested in getting much done. I am used to a "laid back" vibe, but at the end of the day, we have actual deliverables. I am one of the only people in my office who seem to care. Our support staff does nothing-- they call in all the time, mouth off to managers, play video games, etc. But guess what? They are FROM here. They have other family members who work in the organization. So they just kind of hang out.

The nepotism is out of control. Our org got dinged from HQ for all the hiring of relatives, husbands and wives supervising one another, etc. They put out new policy that forbade this. Leadership paid lip service and went on with business as usual. EVERYONE hires their friends and kids. And nothing actually gets accomplished.

And, I am sad to say this, but this is the first time I have felt any racial bias at work. Most of our org is made up of African Americans (about 70%). I am not one-- my background is Hispanic and Caucasian. Whenever a promotion opens up it is IMMEDIATELY filled without being advertised and 90% of the time it is an African American who rides Zulu with the boss, or was in an fraternity/sorority from Xavier. When I asked about opportunities for advancement I was flat out told that you have to "be part of the dominant culture."

So basically, I have a choice to stay in my slot and give birth to some kids here hoping they will be accepted, or move on. I am very sad that this is happening.
So its not just me!

I actually have very similar issues in my workplace. I work for the government in a facility with about 1400 employees. I have worked all over the US for several federal agencies and have never in my career seen activity such as I have seen here. For example:

One of our senior execs is his ex wife's direct supervisor. They argue constantly but are two of the better employees/leaders.

Another of our senior execs (a white man) has been heard to exclaim on several occasions "I adopted an African American child because I don't trust white people." And "I am not Catholic by birth, but Catholic by choice. I suggest you look into it" to a Buddhist employee.

We just hired a guy whose BROTHER was on the interview panel, unbeknownst to anyone, and he made the recommendation. The guy is not qualified at all and will have to be terminated. Cue complaint.

We have a union president who encourages everyone to file EEO complaints saying "you may not win all the time, but you will at least get $500 once in a while."

The organization is under investigation by several federal entities for irregularity in budget, hiring, etc. But no one seems to care.

We had a woman who took 8 months off for maternity leave (she was allotted 3) and refused to return calls to come back to work. One day she just showed up. She was never disciplined because her father works in another department.

The list goes on.

It depresses me, no end. I love this city.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
So its not just me!

I actually have very similar issues in my workplace. I work for the government in a facility with about 1400 employees. I have worked all over the US for several federal agencies and have never in my career seen activity such as I have seen here. For example:

One of our senior execs is his ex wife's direct supervisor. They argue constantly but are two of the better employees/leaders.

Another of our senior execs (a white man) has been heard to exclaim on several occasions "I adopted an African American child because I don't trust white people." And "I am not Catholic by birth, but Catholic by choice. I suggest you look into it" to a Buddhist employee.

We just hired a guy whose BROTHER was on the interview panel, unbeknownst to anyone, and he made the recommendation. The guy is not qualified at all and will have to be terminated. Cue complaint.

We have a union president who encourages everyone to file EEO complaints saying "you may not win all the time, but you will at least get $500 once in a while."

The organization is under investigation by several federal entities for irregularity in budget, hiring, etc. But no one seems to care.

We had a woman who took 8 months off for maternity leave (she was allotted 3) and refused to return calls to come back to work. One day she just showed up. She was never disciplined because her father works in another department.

The list goes on.

It depresses me, no end. I love this city.
I know JFK described D.C. as a city of "Northern Charm and Southern Efficiency"... we're really a city of Mediterranean charm and Caribbean efficiency... i'm sorry your time here didn't turn out as well as you'd hoped, but I hope you leave with fond memories.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM

Oh believe me, I don't want to leave! I am determined to come back to live. But I will be independently wealthy

Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonycanary View Post

To get ahead in this city you HAVE to be a part of a network, whether it is "good ole boy" or something else. The city government including the police department has been corrupt and full of the general attitude of "You wash my back I'll wash yours culture," don't get me started on that city council. People wish to become transplants of this city by the allure of the party town, mardi gras, french quarter and unique cultural history.

That honeymoon phase soon fades once you begin to live, breath and eat the city. It is unfortunate that people have to endure this, there are some African American families (I am related to one of the popular ones) that are considered part of that city's royalty as well as some white families, if you are not willing play along you get left behind.

As long as that city continues to operate in this fashion it will continue to remain stagnant as it has been for the past 30 years on several different levels.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
To get ahead in this city you HAVE to be a part of a network, whether it is "good ole boy" or something else. The city government including the police department has been corrupt and full of the general attitude of "You wash my back I'll wash yours culture," don't get me started on that city council. People wish to become transplants of this city by the allure of the party town, mardi gras, french quarter and unique cultural history.

That honeymoon phase soon fades once you begin to live, breath and eat the city. It is unfortunate that people have to endure this, there are some African American families (I am related to one of the popular ones) that are considered part of that city's royalty as well as some white families, if you are not willing play along you get left behind.

As long as that city continues to operate in this fashion it will continue to remain stagnant as it has been for the past 30 years on several different levels.
I definitely get that at work.

I don't know "who's who" but in the last 2 yrs I have heard lots of surnames thrown about like I am supposed to know-- "That person is a (last name). You know how that goes." I confess that this is utterly foreign to me. Like I say, I work for the fed and move quite a bit. I worked for DoD for many years. I am very used to transience and change. It would seem that there are some really entrenched behaviors and relationships that almost seem like a throw back from 150 years ago. That is still pretty amazing to me.

I always say New Orleans is its own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans