Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM

53 posts, read 235,237 times

Advertisements

My SO and I will be in town the weekend of Feb. 14th and are looking for things to do. I am assuming that it will be a little crazy that weekend with the All-Star game going on. We are staying at the Brent House Hotel (attached to Ochsner). We plan on hitting the FQ on Friday or Saturday night. I did see that Mardi Gras festivities kick off Feb 15th with the Krewe Du Viuex. Is this worth checking out? I would like to check out some of the non-touristy things to do within a short taxi ride of our hotel and she wants to see some historic homes. She was thinking about visiting some plantation homes, but I wasn't sure how far we would have to travel for that. I thought about finding a tour for Saturday, but I haven't been impressed with what I've found so far.

We have a few months to come up with a plan, so I figured I'd come on here and get some direction. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,457 times
Krewe De Vieux is most definitely worth checking out. Get down there early and hang out in the lower Quarter and the Marigny. It's a huge neighborhood party and a wonderfully irreverent adult themed parade.

The plantations are okay if you have time, but they are quite a drive. If you're going to be here more than 4 days, then go for it. Otherwise, there is plenty of architecture in the city to gawk at. The stretch of St. Charles from Audubon Park down to Jackson Ave is gorgeous as is the Garden District. Right now, the St. Charles streetcar is only running part of it's route, but if it is back up and running, definitely take a ride.

You can also wander pretty much anywhere between St. Charles and Magazine and see some nice houses. Try to walk some of Magazine St. as well. Most tourists stick to the FQ, but Magazine St. is definiely more local. It's lined with local shops/ restaurants/bars. Some of it is residential, but there are some good commercial clusters near St. Andrew, Eighth, Napolean and Octavia.

Also check out the Beauregard Keys house, and the Hermann-Grima, and Gallier Houses in the FQ.

See:
The Beauregard-Keyes House
Hermann-Grima + Gallier Historic Houses | The largest and best preserved examples of American architecture in the French Quarter of New Orleans

Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,704 times
Damn, I definitely vote rburnett as the most precisely informative poster for our NOLA forum. I can't add anything more besides the advice to just drive around. Our inner-city and surrounding area tours are great, but(prior to moving here) I would just cruise aimlessly in hopes of discovering EVERYTHING that encompasses the magic of New Orleans...falling in love more and more with every block...with each person we met...with each story

Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
We took this tour - City Sightseeing New Orleans - Hop On Hop Off City Tours last month. The trip through the Garden District took us by some of the nicest old houses I have ever seen. Jump on early and jump off for a walking tour and shopping. As long as you are on the last bus around 5pm, you will end up back in the Quarter.

The Hermann-Grima house is around the corner from the hotel we stay in. The old slave quarters are owned by the Dauphine Orleans hotel and are referred to as the Herman House. Some movie or TV show was filming in the house one evening. There were production trucks lining the street and dozens of people milling around the Hermann-Gima house.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 PM

53 posts, read 235,237 times
The date for our visit is now a month away. We are so excited to have two days in New Orleans before we leave on our cruise. Just thought I'd check in to see if anyone had anything to add to the great suggestions I received above. We will plan on checking out the Krewe De Vieux on Saturday. Magazine street will have to be on our list as well. We will be getting in town around 5pm on the 14th and our cruise leaves on the 16th at 4pm. Thanks so much for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: