Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times

Advertisements

1. The street is public parking, even in front of your house whether you're in Lakeview, Carrollton or the French Quarter.

2. Parking between the curb and the property line ("hell strip" & sidewalk) is illegal across the entire city.

3. Existing duplexes (as of 2011 I think) in single family zoned neighborhoods are grandfathered in and can remain. The city is no longer granting permits for new multi-family structures in those areas. So, once one is converted to a single, then it cannot be converted back. That said, even single family homes can be rental property.

I suggest you call the city. They will come out and ticket the illegally parked vehicle. After 3 unpaid tickets, they will boot it. I think the last number I called was 504-658-8100.

This is the problem with the newer suburban-style ramp curb design in more urban environments that depend on street parking. Drivers can easily leave the street and roll over the curb onto lawns, block public sidewalks and create their own driveways.

See: Nun among residents towed for 'confusing' parking rules | wwltv.com New Orleans

See: DPW - Parking - Parking 101 - City of New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Want to back up rburnett's post and say that phone # is correct.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Why not park your vehicles in front of your home for a while and quit planting things on property that probably belongs to the city.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not park your vehicles in front of your home for a while and quit planting things on property that probably belongs to the city.
because it doesn't actually belong to the city, they just have certain rights to it

Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Just put pea gravel or other landscaping item.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 20,743 times
Rburnett, neworleansisprettygood, et al, thank you SO much for the links and the further information! I did look at nolaassessor.com and it seems that the tenant's duplex is legal... it's marked on the website with 2 numbers for the address (example: 12-14 ABC street). I'm guessing he had the home converted to a duplex closer to when he moved in... which was 2003, according to the site. So that gameplan seems to be off the table

I read your two articles but I don't think our curb is set up like the one on Canal Blvd. Theirs has a mini-sidewalk between the road and Hell Strip and ours doesn't. I'm still not clear from that article as to whether parking on the Hell Strip is illegal... the article stated, "He spotted a tow truck and was told his cars were parked illegally on the grass"...

As for the actual Parking 101 website, the closest ordinances I could find (that still aren't quite right) were these:
- Parking within 3 feet of a driveway on either side, only upon a driveway owner’s request (citation fee - $40)
- Parking on a sidewalk, even if it is adjacent to your own property (citation fee - $40)

So does that mean if he parks in the street right next to my driveway, perpendicular to it and within 3 feet, I can call and have him ticketed? Cause he does that pretty often...

It's been such a busy week that we're still just leaving the Corolla camped out in front of the house. I'm starting to get really jealous of my parents who live in rural Mississippi with not a neighbor around, and people in other cities who have street parking banned overnight or entirely...

Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee2203 View Post
I read your two articles but I don't think our curb is set up like the one on Canal Blvd. Theirs has a mini-sidewalk between the road and Hell Strip and ours doesn't. I'm still not clear from that article as to whether parking on the Hell Strip is illegal... the article stated, "He spotted a tow truck and was told his cars were parked illegally on the grass"...
"We've had a couple of complaints recently about illegal parking in the area. So we responded to those complaints," said New Orleans Public Works Director Mark Jernigan. "The city code basically says you can't park on the sidewalk. It defines the sidewalk from the curbline to the property line to the private property line," said Jernigan

It is illegal to park between the curb and the property line. Period. That "mini sidewalk" was put in without a city permit by the property owner. Weather there is concrete there or grass is irrelevant. Your car cannot leave the curb unless it's going into a driveway.

From the municipal code:

"No person shall stand or park a vehicle on a roadway, other than parallel with the edge of the roadway, headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the right hand wheels of the vehicle within 18 inches of the curb or edge of the roadway, except as otherwise provided in this article."

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee2203 View Post
So does that mean if he parks in the street right next to my driveway, perpendicular to it and within 3 feet, I can call and have him ticketed? Cause he does that pretty often...
Absolutely. Call the city, 504-658-8100.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee2203

Absolutely. Call the city, 504-658-8100.
Thank you! Obviously I can't be home 24/7 to monitor the jerk, but next time I see him that close to my driveway or on the Hell Strip again I'll be calling

That's obviously a safety hazard, anyway... trying to even turn out of the driveway with someone that close to the lane is damn near impossible!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 PM

The saga continues, two weeks later...

We had our (alleged) last day of plumbing repairs yesterday... we passed all our inspections and were ready to go with the sand and dirt getting pumped back into the ground. Unfortunately, the truck ran out of sand and now they have to come back AGAIN tomorrow to finally finish the disastrous project...

DH gets a phone call on his cell phone at work today from the landlord of doom. He tells DH, "Just to make you aware, that sand truck yesterday parked partially blocking my driveway and I didn't do anything about it." Say WHAT?? This guy is really that desperate to keep this feud going and argue with whatever he can think of. DH asked him why he didn't simply ask the worker if he could move up a little bit (he could've gotten it towed based on the three-foot rule IF the workers actually left the truck, but they were doing work the whole time and sitting IN there). His solution? To ask DH why he is now parking his car in front of our house (thus blocking the Hell Strip and preventing the drama that started this whole spectacle from happening again!). I guess the street is only public when his tenant and all his friends want to use it to deface property and be obnoxious. Ridiculous.

I told DH, "BLOCK THE PHONE NUMBER AND DON'T EVEN ENTERTAIN THIS"; we have no reason to even speak to this jackass any further and we have the right to park one of our personal cars in the public street in front of our house as long as we want to! In fact, I may just leave the corolla out there until the day we finally move off this God-forsaken block...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans