Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 01:52 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times

Advertisements

I visited for Mardi Gras and had one of the best times of my life. Stopped the party towards the end and went around the city and love it. I used to live in Charleston and now in another NC metro. It seemed like a blend of both worlds. I also love warm (and hot) weather and 70F degrees in the middle of February were pretty awesome! And darn was that local music and food good.

For the locals:

1.) I'm guessing if I got a job in the area it'd pay in the 40-50k (in local wages) ish range though I could probably bring that up a bit with overtime and the like. Is that enough money to live? I understand NO is a city known for lowish wages and high costs.

2.) I got pickpocketed being there 4 days and had several other people try to steal from my friends. Is crime aggravated in Mardi Gras season or is it just bad here?

3.) Any nice beaches in Mississippi or LA? I love the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
1) Should be enough money if you know how to budget and are OK with a small apartment.
2) Was it in a touristy area? I would say the instances are higher during Mardi Gras but you always need to be aware of your surroundings. That goes for any big city.
3) Only "beach" in LA is Grand Isle. I wouldn't consider it nice but it's better than nothing. However, it's actually a shorter drive to the beaches in MS which aren't too bad. You'll have to drive to the other side of Mobile to get to the really nice "sugar sand" locales.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM

194 posts, read 222,070 times
1. Are you sure about your wages?
2. Ha! Just be thankful you weren't shot or maimed. Never let your guards down...never.
3. Double ha! Biloxi used to be semi-decent. Now you have to drive to Pensacola or Destin or Alabama.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
...you have to drive to Pensacola or Destin or Alabama.
Pensacola just became our new beach getaway town. Its very convenient being just barely 3 hours away...beautiful beaches too

Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
A job making that much wouldn't be hard at all to live on. However be ready for living small, you pay a premium for things like a driveway and 1,500 sq ft if you want to live in the city.

Pickpockets are good here, but they stay in the quarter for the most part. I haven't had problem with crime if I'm smart about things. A vast majority of the people living here haven't been shot.

I'm not a beach person so I can't really comment on the beaches

Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
2.) I got pickpocketed being there 4 days and had several other people try to steal from my friends. Is crime aggravated in Mardi Gras season or is it just bad here?
I would think this would be a universal, anywhere that drunk tourists stroll the streets.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 AM
yr5

16 posts, read 19,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I visited for Mardi Gras and had one of the best times of my life. Stopped the party towards the end and went around the city and love it. I used to live in Charleston and now in another NC metro. It seemed like a blend of both worlds. I also love warm (and hot) weather and 70F degrees in the middle of February were pretty awesome! And darn was that local music and food good.

For the locals:

1.) I'm guessing if I got a job in the area it'd pay in the 40-50k (in local wages) ish range though I could probably bring that up a bit with overtime and the like. Is that enough money to live? I understand NO is a city known for lowish wages and high costs.

3.) Any nice beaches in Mississippi or LA? I love the beach.

1>Everybody is different when it comes to money, if you want to live modestly and it's just you (no kids), I'm sure $40-50K is fine. But with the new New Orleans, and rent starting at $1300 1bd/1br in the new low end buildings, I would be looking a little higher...low $60s.

2>People are so poor in New Orleans, crime is "normal", however it's definitely aggravated during most of all the festive events (i.e. Mardi Gras, Essence, Jazz Fest, SuperBowl)...never travel with all your credit cards or more cash than you are willing to lose, especially in areas such as the French Quarter. The French Quarter is a 'Hot Zone' for Tourist, and local juveniles and con artist stroll there.

3> There are no beaches in LA. People usually go to Galveston, TX, I go usually go Destin and Ft. Walton Beach in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans