Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times

Advertisements

Do these people identify as Southerners, root for the Confederacy, etc? Which is their political party? Some have such an un-Southern accent I just can't tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:25 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Most people in New Orleans identify as Southerners only tangentially. They would likely refer to themselves as New Orleanians first, Americans second, Southerners third. The accent- which has been compared to "Brooklynese"- came about because a large number of immigrants flowed into New Orleans at the same time and from the same areas as many of the immigrants who brought their culture to, and came to define, New York.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Yat is a dialect, not an ethnic group. It's all but dead among the younger generation in the city, but can be heard among the older generations in the surrounding suburbs. Most prominently St Bernard parish IMO. This might be the only place where younger people still have the accent. That said, the majority of those with that accent will be white, middle class, with catholic leanings.

"The South" really doesn't exist in and around New Orleans. It's its own thing.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 AM

415 posts, read 607,163 times
"Root for the confederacy?" OMG, its 2015.
LA is mostly republican, a quick google search confirms that. Most of New Orleans is Democrat and Metairie is mostly republican (again google statistics). Most people have a slight accent that's unique to most parts of the country. I moved to NC recently and most people here have no clue where I'm from (accent wise). They think I'm not southern, but here they do speak like they are in the movie Gone with the Wind here in Charlotte.

Last edited by Metairie; 03-19-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
"Root for the confederacy?" OMG, its 2015.
LA is mostly republican, a quick google search confirms that. Most of New Orleans is Democrat and Metairie is mostly republican (again google statistics). Most people have a slight accent that's unique to most parts of the country. I moved to NC recently and most people here have no clue where I'm from (accent wise). They think I'm not southern, but here they do speak like they are in the movie Gone with the Wind here in Charlotte.
I lived here for a few years and then moved to Georgia. I could always pick out the people from Louisiana. It's not a huge difference, but just certain words and phrases are a little different down here. Now I'm back in Louisiana, and I can usually pick out the people from Georgia. BTW, don't you miss NOLA? I know I did when I left.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 AM

415 posts, read 607,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I lived here for a few years and then moved to Georgia. I could always pick out the people from Louisiana. It's not a huge difference, but just certain words and phrases are a little different down here. Now I'm back in Louisiana, and I can usually pick out the people from Georgia. BTW, don't you miss NOLA? I know I did when I left.
I miss certain things. I miss knowing where I am all the time when driving. I miss my friends and family. I miss some of the food (Italian mainly), but I am a long time vegetarian so NOLA cuisine doesn't usually suit me. I don't miss the heat!
All in all, We may end up back.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:38 AM

53 posts, read 76,633 times
The confederacy???

Old 03-21-2015, 09:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
"The South" really doesn't exist in and around New Orleans. It's its own thing.
It would be interesting to see a map that defines where a New Orleans person would define where "The South" begins. For some reason, I imagine half way to Baton Rouge? But not sure.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It would be interesting to see a map that defines where a New Orleans person would define where "The South" begins. For some reason, I imagine half way to Baton Rouge? But not sure.
Orleans Parish line.
There's enough lifted trucks in Jeff Parish for it to qualify.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Orleans Parish line.
There's enough lifted trucks in Jeff Parish for it to qualify.
Ha... but most are on the other side of the river. That's where the confederate flags seem to be too.

Me and my mother were checking out mobile home parks in the area (she thought it'd be a good idea to buy one temporarily until things came together to buy a house here). Oddly enough, only a very few amount of mobile home parks are allowed in JP, and we were visiting one (of two I think). I did see a couple flags in that neighborhood. I guess there are some necks spilling out from the German Coast as well, going to work mostly in Kenner and somewhat in Metairie.

But really this area has nothing on the I-20 corridor from Dallas to Atlanta. I got so sick of seeing lifted trucks up there. I've seen more since moving to Arabi... but haven't seen many confederate flags. I don't think anybody is gonna go to the lower 9ths Walmart with that flag in the back of their truck ...

But Orleans Parish is too much for a lot of suburbanites anyways. So many locals from outside of the city hate the city for so many reasons and I think race is a motivating factor in a lot of those peoples mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans