Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Orleans a gun-friendly city?
Louisiana and New Orleans are both gun-friendly 9 52.94%
Louisana is gun-friendly, but New Orleans is NOT 5 29.41%
Neither New Orleans or Louisiana are gun-friendly 0 0%
I don't know 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Open carry is allowed under Louisiana law, but far too many police officers (just take a look at several Youtube videos of illegal stops in Louisiana of persons openly carrying) are either ignorant of the law or just don't give a damn and will hassle you regardless. Concealed carry is pretty straightforward, although there are numerous restrictions (including several silly, in my view, restrictions) on where you can carry, including on college campus grounds, parade routes, etc. The State's voters approved an amendment to the constitution a couple of years ago subjecting all restrictions on "arms" ownership/carry to strict scrutiny. Unfortunately, the Louisiana Supreme Court has not been using the strict scrutiny standard of review when addressing cases under the new amendment, instead using a more "reasonableness" test, which is anathema to strict scrutiny. Still, if you're a fan of the Second Amendment, you'd probably want to live in New Orleans vs, say, NY or NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
There is a constitutional amendment by our state protecting the second amendment. As far as I know, all gun ownership laws are universal throughout the state. Also, Louisiana is known as one of the most gun-friendly states. It is legal to carry a loaded firearm in your car as long as it's in plain view (unless you have a CC permit). You can also trade guns freely, no need to re register it.
State law allows for several local laws passed before a particular date to be exempted from the otherwise uniform law of gun ownership/carry.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones View Post
Oh, it's gun-friendly, all right. The local knife and gun club holds regular meetings in my neighborhood around 1:00 AM. Membership is open to the public, no previous experience necessary. All you need are some saggy pants and a pistol that looks cool when you shoot it sideways.

As a more serious answer, laws cannot encourage gun ownership, they can only allow or prohibit it. Louisiana allows gun ownership without any real restrictions. Open carry is permitted, and you can get a concealed carry permit by taking a class and paying a fee. NFA firearms are allowed provided you do all the usual tax stamp stuff with the feds. New Orleans doesn't have any gun laws at the city level, but I really don't recommend open carrying around here; this isn't Alaska. If you open carry in the city you will freak people out, and NOPD may arrest you because they don't know or care what the laws are.

If you want to go shooting, there are a few ranges in town, but I recommend going out to Honey Island in Pearl River. The range there is really cheap, very well run, and you can shoot rifles out to 100 yards. You'll need a Wild Louisiana stamp or a hunting or fishing license to go there. If you're looking for a gun dealer, I recommend Meplat Group out in Metairie. The owner is a great guy, and he is extremely knowledgeable about firearms laws. He also does transfers for just $20 if you want to buy a gun on the internet.
Christ, just go to the 9th ward, open the window and open up. They're used to it. Make sure you hold it sideways and mangle the English language. Save the money. 9th ward is open 24x7

Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 AM

41 posts, read 58,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Christ, just go to the 9th ward, open the window and open up. They're used to it. Make sure you hold it sideways and mangle the English language. Save the money. 9th ward is open 24x7
I live in the 9th Ward. Although there are occasional nighttime shootings, regular gunfire would not be tolerated. Things aren't really that bad here. The neighborhood is improving rapidly as people are buying and fixing the abandoned houses. The vast majority of the people who live here are honest, hardworking citizens who hate the gangsters even more than you or I do.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
Quote:
I live in the 9th Ward. Although there are occasional nighttime shootings, regular gunfire would not be tolerated. Things aren't really that bad here. The neighborhood is improving rapidly as people are buying and fixing the abandoned houses. The vast majority of the people who live here are honest, hardworking citizens who hate the gangsters even more than you or I do.
I have to agree. The lower 9th gets a bad rap, but in reality it's safer than a lot of other neighborhoods. Parts of Central City, Hollygrove, lower Mid City,7th and 8th wards and The East are statistically far more dangerous.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:35 PM

880 posts, read 1,251,966 times
Quote:
The local knife and gun club holds regular meetings in my neighborhood around 1:00 AM.
Quote of the day!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:04 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
I lived in the upper 9th for about a year - somebody I ran across called it "the good hood" ... lol

Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 AM

167 posts, read 247,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I lived in the upper 9th for about a year - somebody I ran across called it "the good hood" ... lol
I actually agree, been here going on a year and hear gunshots maybe... twice? 7th ward is wayyy worst and parts of uptown can be too.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 AM

41 posts, read 58,996 times
There were three or four rounds of nighttime gunfire very close to my house when I first moved in about eighteen months ago, but things seem to have settled down since then. There seems to be more individual shots and less mag dumps, which I find encouraging. Now I just use the gunshots as an excuse to expand my rifle collection. I've got a real nice Swiss K31 and a Mosin/Nagant that needs a refinishing job waiting at my FFL for me to pick up this afternoon.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
This thread is making me laugh pretty well. Only occasional gun fire can be heard and your saying its not a bad area. I have never heard gunfire when im at home. EVER. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans