Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:18 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I guess we can disagree. Just the basic sandwich here blows me away. I guess I've never lived in a "food city" before New Orleans. Atlanta and Miami have some good restaurants, but nothing like New Orleans. I have visited New York, but never hit all of the great restaurants. I can't imagine it being that much better than New Orleans, but you have lived there so I can't argue.
Fair enough! Also, I was editing my post as you were replying to it, so I added a few more restaurants. Don't get me wrong: New Orleans is definitely among the best cities I've been to in the US for food. But I just can't stop comparing places to NYC, which isn't really fair to be honest. Still, compared to most cities, New Orleans takes the cake, easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:30 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Fair enough! Also, I was editing my post as you were replying to it, so I added a few more restaurants. Don't get me wrong: New Orleans is definitely among the best cities I've been to in the US for food. But I just can't stop comparing places to NYC, which isn't really fair to be honest. Still, compared to most cities, New Orleans takes the cake, easily.
My wife is Hispanic, so Ideal Market is a regular for me, and I agree that the deli is great.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Surprised nobody has mentioned GW Fins.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Another vote for Mother's,

Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM

605 posts, read 805,096 times
Hey guys, just wanted to check in. I had a fantastic time in New Orleans. I ended up eating out only at Parkway's and Antoine's - both supremely delicious.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
Mother's ain't like it used to be. We were there a few years ago, and it was dirty, the service (if you can call it that) was rude, and the food was just OK. It is the epitome of a tourist trap. You can do better. Too bad, because the place used to be great for decades, but things change. Just like Buster's (sob). If you never had beans and rice there, you missed something.

Still, it's New Orleans. You 'can eat at a lot of places and get a good meal. We really enjoyed ACME Oyster House. Great location, and if you get in line early the wait is not bad. The gumbo and bread pudding were fantastic. Excellent service. People seem to love the 'ersters there too. And of course, no visit is complete w/o going to the Cafe du Monde. Parasol's still has good po boys. Don't forget the oddball places like Igor's, for those times when you just HAVE to wash your clothes, get drunk, have an Igor Burger, and shoot pool. I think there's a stripper's pole too, but most of what happened when I was there is a little fuzzy. Just don't expect too much cleanliness or gourmet cuisine :]

You know, this is why people hate New Yorkers. Sorry, the "food scene" in New Orleans is much better than New York. There's a lot of really good places that only the locals know about, and they ain't talking. If you're gonna go around the city like you know it and you don't, you can eat where everyone else eats. New Orleans is known the world over for it's unique regional cuisine and great service. All you got in NY is a lot of someone else's food. It's not unique, it's other cultures that just set up a restaurant there. And the usual NY service........Just look at the places you've been eating on that list!!! That is not how it's done in N.O.

Last edited by smarino; 01-07-2016 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 08:10 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Mother's ain't like it used to be. We were there a few years ago, and it was dirty, the service (if you can call it that) was rude, and the food was just OK. It is the epitome of a tourist trap. You can do better. Too bad, because the place used to be great for decades, but things change. Just like Buster's (sob). If you never had beans and rice there, you missed something.

Still, it's New Orleans. You 'can eat at a lot of places and get a good meal. We really enjoyed ACME Oyster House. Great location, and if you get in line early the wait is not bad. The gumbo and bread pudding were fantastic. Excellent service. People seem to love the 'ersters there too. And of course, no visit is complete w/o going to the Cafe du Monde. Parasol's still has good po boys. Don't forget the oddball places like Igor's, for those times when you just HAVE to wash your clothes, get drunk, have an Igor Burger, and shoot pool. I think there's a stripper's pole too, but most of what happened when I was there is a little fuzzy. Just don't expect too much cleanliness or gourmet cuisine :]

You know, this is why people hate New Yorkers. Sorry, the "food scene" in New Orleans is much better than New York. There's a lot of really good places that only the locals know about, and they ain't talking. If you're gonna go around the city like you know it and you don't, you can eat where everyone else eats. New Orleans is known the world over for it's unique regional cuisine and great service. All you got in NY is a lot of someone else's food. It's not unique, it's other cultures that just set up a restaurant there. And the usual NY service........Just look at the places you've been eating on that list!!! That is not how it's done in N.O.
Your opinion. I just happen to think you're wrong, but that's OK. No need to "hate" me because I'm from NY (I really laughed out loud when I read that, quite funny Its actually quite sad). New York also has places where "only the locals know about," and on a much larger scale than New Orleans for obvious reasons. And then there's the variety added to that. And so what if NY is a melting pot when it comes to food (New Orleans is, too, to an extent). That's one of the things that makes it so great! Didn't know that was something bad

Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I love Adolfo's on Frenchmen Street.

The drive to Deanie's Seafood in Metairie is must everytime we're there. I know there is one in the Quarter but weve been told it isn't as good. Can anyone on here atest to that?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,275 times
Yea, the one in the Quarter isn't good IMO. I've eaten at the one in Metairie but mostly eat at the one in NO East and they're both better.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:28 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Dooky Chase?

Last year, for my birthday, I ran around the Quarter hitting Antoine's for Oysters Rockefeller, Central Grocery for muffaletta, and Brennan's for Bananas Foster (which I didn't get because I don't like bananas, I at least wanted to set foot in the place). I did track down a place that did calas, but I forget the name of the place...something like Coffee Shop or something. Already did Cafe du Monde (proposed to my wife there), but would suggest trying to get there at some off hour to avoid the crowds.

Rather than a blanket suggestion for restaurants, I wonder if it would be better to list the reason why each place is suggested. If someone is on a limited schedule (or budget), hitting the highlights of each place might easier on time and calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans