Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 05:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times

Advertisements

if yu can afford it,buy a house with a balcony on ST Charles and rent it for a few thousand dollars a week during Mardi Gras,make sure it is on the parade route
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 22,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
I will be moving to New Orleans and working there come July. Currently, where are the safest neighborhoods to live in? I was told by someone who lives there now to without a doubt avoid New Orleans East and Central City.

He stated id be better off in Kenner, Metairie or Slidell espically if i plan on buying a home.

Can anyone add to this?
What kind of lifestyle do you live?
Are you young?
What kind of neighborhood would you like to live in?
Artsy, trendy, quiet, urban?

New Orleans metro area suburban wise is generally pretty safe.
Some parts of the east bank Jefferson parishes suburbs, and parts of the West Bank suburbs have some sketchy areas.
As you mentioned with Kenner, parts of Kenner can be rough and the housing property can be really low quality and some what torn up looking. But some parts of Kenner can also range from average middle class neighborhoods to affluent gated community like neighborhoods. Kenner is diverse and a bit hit-miss.
Do you want to live in the real city limits of New Orleans? Or are the suburbs fine for you?
Getting into the real city limits of New Orleans, your friend is correct for the fact that New Orleans east and the vast majority of 7th through 9th wards are very high crime ridden and also struggles with a lot of abandonment.
Central city is also pretty rough.
Not to scare you, but it’s best to remember that New Orleans has one of the highest murder rates in the USA.
Sometimes New Orleans actually has the highest murder rate in the USA and has been crowned the murder capitol of the USA a multitude of years.
Meaning, the toughest parts of New Orleans are extremely violent.
But that being said, New Orleans he plenty of worthwhile safe neighborhoods.
Generally speaking, refrain from the 7th, 8th, and 9th wards.
Refrain from central city, gert town, and holly grove areas.
The Irish channel can be shady too.
On the other hand, usually your safest neighborhoods are around Audubon park area, the majority of areas east of city park ( lake view, Navarre etc).

Old 09-09-2021, 02:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,563 times
Central City is transitioning. When Magnolia, Melpomene & Calliope projects were up, they contributed very heavily to the violent crime in New Orleans. Those 3 projects were all within walking distance, no more than a mile apart & were very territorial. Crime is still somewhat of an issue in Central City, but not in the areas where the Big 3 (Calliope, Magnolia & Melph) stood.

Disclaimer: Heard stories about those areas from some family who lived in/near those projects.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Central City is transitioning. When Magnolia, Melpomene & Calliope projects were up, they contributed very heavily to the violent crime in New Orleans. Those 3 projects were all within walking distance, no more than a mile apart & were very territorial. Crime is still somewhat of an issue in Central City, but not in the areas where the Big 3 (Calliope, Magnolia & Melph) stood.

Disclaimer: Heard stories about those areas from some family who lived in/near those projects.
It's still not an area I'd recommend to a transplant.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's still not an area I'd recommend to a transplant.
You shouldn't. I was just pointing out the transitioning nature of Central City. Personally, I think CC will gentrify because it's close to the CBD and Garden District.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 AM

Central city is still a hard hit rough area and the crime rate is still horribly high.
Murder rate there is still skyrocket high.
The infrastructure is still torn up looking.
I would only imagine there’s not really any good amenities. I can’t really imagine any pull factors in that neighborhood also but could still think of many push factors.

I don’t mean to down grade central city, but it’s still probably seen better days then what it’s situation is in the current days.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puhnglaisoul View Post
Not to scare you, but it’s best to remember that New Orleans has one of the highest murder rates in the USA.
Sometimes New Orleans actually has the highest murder rate in the USA and has been crowned the murder capitol of the USA a multitude of years.
Meaning, the toughest parts of New Orleans are extremely violent.
You think?

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_poli...c5a74f524.html

Old 09-28-2021, 02:12 PM

643 posts, read 977,794 times
I hate when people from the outside say "avoid the east".
They sound stupid. Do you know how large the east is? You can't lump a WHOLE area as the same...There are decent, above decent, and not so decent areas in the east...overall, the good outweighs the bad...i live in the east in one of the decent areas that is quiet, people take care of their homes, cut their grass, and crime is very low...

Old 09-30-2021, 11:46 AM

136 posts, read 167,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
I hate when people from the outside say "avoid the east".
They sound stupid. Do you know how large the east is? You can't lump a WHOLE area as the same...There are decent, above decent, and not so decent areas in the east...overall, the good outweighs the bad...i live in the east in one of the decent areas that is quiet, people take care of their homes, cut their grass, and crime is very low...
While there are some decent areas in the east the majority have seen better days and overall the crime is out of control. The other big issue is a lack of amenities, be them retail, entertainment or dining. If you want any of those or even a decent grocery store (the Winn Dixie and Wal Mart out there are both terrible) you are looking at driving to Mid City, Metairie, or Slidell. That being the case why not just live in one of those places. Until there is enough confidence in the safety and economic viability of the east national retailers will continue to avoid it as will a lot of people looking for a place to live, especially transplants.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I was JUST trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans