Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2023, 06:39 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to drive the Great River (Mississippi) Road next Spring. We plan to start at the south end (Venice) and will spend two or three nights in New Orleans before heading upriver. We'll fly to NO and rent a car for our roadtrip.

As background, we have visited NO twice before and stayed both times in the French Quarter. The last time we visited in 2014, we got into a huge argument while we navigated thru closed streets to get to the Omni Hotel. Not a great way to start a vacation! For that reason and others, we'd prefer not to stay in the French Quarter this time. Instead, we'd like to stay "on the periphery," with less traffic congestion, lower lodging cost and fewer partiers. We would visit the French Quarter for dinner and entertainment, just don't want to stay there. Of course we'd also want the place to be safe for us and our vehicle. We typically stay at Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, etc.

I have given some thought to the Drury Plaza Hotel on Poydras St. It's within a block of the St. Charles St. trolley line. But I'm looking for advice from locals about lodging in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 09:02 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
My wife and I are planning to drive the Great River (Mississippi) Road next Spring. We plan to start at the south end (Venice) and will spend two or three nights in New Orleans before heading upriver. We'll fly to NO and rent a car for our roadtrip.

As background, we have visited NO twice before and stayed both times in the French Quarter. The last time we visited in 2014, we got into a huge argument while we navigated thru closed streets to get to the Omni Hotel. Not a great way to start a vacation! For that reason and others, we'd prefer not to stay in the French Quarter this time. Instead, we'd like to stay "on the periphery," with less traffic congestion, lower lodging cost and fewer partiers. We would visit the French Quarter for dinner and entertainment, just don't want to stay there. Of course we'd also want the place to be safe for us and our vehicle. We typically stay at Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, etc.

I have given some thought to the Drury Plaza Hotel on Poydras St. It's within a block of the St. Charles St. trolley line. But I'm looking for advice from locals about lodging in the area.
My first choice would be the Hyatt Regency on Poydras. They have garage parking. Or you could stay in Metarie or out near the airport. There are many moderately priced hotels in this area.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:16 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
My first choice would be the Hyatt Regency on Poydras. They have garage parking. Or you could stay in Metarie or out near the airport. There are many moderately priced hotels in this area.
I agree with this post. However, for a bit less money we usually stay at the Hyatt House which is right next door and has a connecting walkway to the Regency and the parking garage. Very convenient and relatively quiet by NOLA standards as well. Upscale Rouse's market is very close for food and beverage purchases when not desiring to go to a restaurant.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:10 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I am also planning a trip to New Orleans. I just looked at the above suggested hotels and it's a bit pricey for me. I'm looking to go after Mardi Gras season, maybe late March or April? I don't want to stay in the French Quarter as well. What hotels would you recommend for $150-190 per night?

Old 12-23-2023, 09:08 PM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am also planning a trip to New Orleans. I just looked at the above suggested hotels and it's a bit pricey for me. I'm looking to go after Mardi Gras season, maybe late March or April? I don't want to stay in the French Quarter as well. What hotels would you recommend for $150-190 per night?
Check out B&Bs in the Marigny District. I'm pretty sure you can find something in that price range, and there is Frenchmen Street for more musical entertainment.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Check out B&Bs in the Marigny District. I'm pretty sure you can find something in that price range, and there is Frenchmen Street for more musical entertainment.
As a south LA resident for many years, my response to a B&B in this area would be to be cognizant of crime. NOLA has a high crime rate. If I was visiting, I would want the security of a hotel.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:25 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
As a south LA resident for many years, my response to a B&B in this area would be to be cognizant of crime. NOLA has a high crime rate. If I was visiting, I would want the security of a hotel.
Well, true. But we always stay at the same B&B when we're there. One has to really stay aware and cautious just about anywhere there. It's the one city I love that I won't visit alone.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Well, true. But we always stay at the same B&B when we're there. One has to really stay aware and cautious just about anywhere there. It's the one city I love that I won't visit alone.
As locals know, parts of the city are definitely more dangerous than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans