Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 AM

126 posts, read 471,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I'm a native New Orleanian who lived there most of my life. I come back every 2 months to visit family and friends still there. The fact that I happen to live in UT now does not strip away my right to comment on my home city.
This is an internet board....I never said you couldn't comment. That's silly. I just feel that those that have little positive to say about this city and don't live here can't call it like those that live here every moment of the day. Say whatever you would like--seriously. But, I can speak truthfully about most that live here now: We're glad you're not here. We've been through trying times over the last few years and we are overcoming. We have little to no use for those that come on internet boards and attempt to ridicule the city and our efforts while we are literally here and working hard to bring the city back to it's former glory. And, generally, we are succeeding. We have our bumps and we live with them, but, at least we are here. Please don't knock us or mislead those that haven't been here. Bottom line---we are here and you are no longer a resident, no matter how often you visit. I'm a citizen of this city, you are a visitor. And that is exactly what it is. Input is one thing, but, why are you here so much and not in the Utah part of this board? You don't live here, you live in Utah. You may be a native, but, you are simply not a citizen or resident of this city. You now live in Utah. It's nice to have you visit your family every two months, but, remember this---you are no longer a New Orleanian. This isn't your home. Your home is Utah. And I'll add one thing....Please don't think I'm being rude. But, here is another truth: When I type on my keyborad, I'm sitting in the middle of New Orleans. When you type, you're in Utah. You're not as in touch as me or others on this forum that actually live here.

Last edited by alon504; 03-01-2009 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Default Laissez-Faire Attitude on Crime is a Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
...... I just feel that those that have little positive to say about this city and don't live here can't call it like those that live here every moment of the day. ........
Being pollyanna-ish doesn't help anyone, either. C-D is for folks who want info - the good, the bad, the ugly - about a city or area. There are many things about N.O. that are great - see my posts on Storyland and the Jazz Fest for example - but crime is, and has been, a problem. The 12 who were shot on Mardi Gras day, including the 7 in one place, probably don't feel as you do.

For too long the city's leaders have spoken, as others in this thread have, as if crime only hits those involved in drugs. It may be true that the murders are mostly of druggies, but those druggies stole from just about anyone they could find to feed their habit. And when gang members start shooting, bystanders can get hit.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 PM

16 posts, read 114,475 times
I am building houses in upper ninth lower ninth and mid city. Before Katrina I built and worked on schools in all neighborhoods. I allow my son 18 to visit the jobs and work when there is other work going on in neighborhood.

The neighborhoods are often filled with voulenters rebuilding homes with Habitat etc. As of yet I've not heard of one being injured or killed and they are not that street savey believe me.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Being pollyanna-ish doesn't help anyone, either. C-D is for folks who want info - the good, the bad, the ugly - about a city or area. There are many things about N.O. that are great - see my posts on Storyland and the Jazz Fest for example - but crime is, and has been, a problem. The 12 who were shot on Mardi Gras day, including the 7 in one place, probably don't feel as you do.

For too long the city's leaders have spoken, as others in this thread have, as if crime only hits those involved in drugs. It may be true that the murders are mostly of druggies, but those druggies stole from just about anyone they could find to feed their habit. And when gang members start shooting, bystanders can get hit.
I have lived in New Orleans for many years, and I think this is a fair assessment of the situation here. Also, in my neighborhood the druggies break into homes to steal. At times they end up killing the owners of those homes, if the owners interrupt the druggies by coming home at the wrong time, or if they can't come up with enough money for the druggies, or just randomly sometimes.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks crime is not high here is living in la-la land (and IMO probably is a post-Katrina newcomer and just doesn't know better). But even in places where crime is high, chances are that you won't be a victim of crime. On the other hand, it's stupid to leave your doors unlocked or to assume you are safe in an unfamiliar neighborhood at night. Just use your common sense.

And yes, a Habitat worker was gunned down and killed last year, but had wandered with just one or two other Habitat workers away from the project home at night without being familiar with the neighborhood. Didn't use common sense.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM

126 posts, read 471,637 times
It would take an idiot to believe that their is no crime in New Orleans. We are a compact city. New Orleans is 180 square miles and only 1/3 of the city is inhabited by humans. Our population is around 360,000. If we were fully inhabited, New Orleans would be a city of over 1,000,000 people. Old dense cities have crime. But, I will be steadfast in my defense that New Orleans is no different than any other major urban area in this country. Post something different and I will make my point. And I have that right on a public forum. We're in the same boat as the rest of old urban America. To point us out as being different or much worse is a falsehood on the internet. No one really knows the crime rate because no one really knows the population of this city. We'll find out in 2010 how many live here. But, this resident will come on this board and will not allow any poster to mislead others about the realities of life in New Orleans. I know reality because I live that reality. It's just not going to happen. Call it polly-ana or whatever, but, you are going to get straightforward responses from me. I really don't appreciate it when individuals post falsehoods to defend any particular reason why they no longer live here. It's all misleading. I'm here. I live and know the truth. You won't find me posting relentlessly on the Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Denver forums, etc. because I don't live there. But, I know all of those cities quite well. I post in the location where I reside. I post on this board that represents my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans