Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 AM

63 posts, read 564,764 times

Advertisements

The French Quarter is the only place that had ever smelled to me and that was mostly around Bourbon Street. There are great hotels on Canal Street. The tourist areas are pretty safe, but do not purchase Mardi Gras bead from the shops and wear them. You will be screaming TOURIST! everywhere you go. Natives wear them during the Mardi Gras season. Whom ever told you that you only need two days did not do their research. Purchase a travel book on New Orleans. We are very friendly in New Orleans,but we do not like snobs. Every person on the planet must experience the Jazz Festival held the last week of April and the first week of May. You will enjoy New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 PM

43 posts, read 146,232 times
Cool So far so good

Most of the responses are correct in my opinion. Obviously they are all natives! One thing I will tell you is that we can be a little like the French in that we don't appreciate foreigners coming to our city and telling US about it. We get a little insulted when people say things like "don't y'all start drinking early?" (we drink a lot less than the tourists do, I assure you.) or when you pronounce things wrong and then continue to do it after you've been corrected! If you want to learn, just ask. Most locals will give you way more information than you need and are extremely hospitable. We realize that especially after "the thing" we are a banana republic and are totally dependent on tourist dollars because there is NOTHING else here! The hotels, restaurants and nightclubs were up and running way before the hospitals were!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 PM

125 posts, read 471,853 times
My husband's folks are from NOLA (have pics of relatives from the 1800's)and they are the most fun and down to earth in-law's I could ever hope for. I love that you can almost look back in time just by looking at certain homes. The food is all heaven and spice. Get some home made pralines and don't forget Cafe du monde. Katrina broke our hearts.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 AM

10 posts, read 37,740 times
>Subject: New Orleans!!
>
>Finally, friends, a positive article about New Orleans. The piece is
>long,
>but worth the read. Unfortunately, the author is unnamed, but he or she
>deserves our gratitude for reviving our most pleasant memories of the
>beloved
>city of our youth.
>
>Check the Chris Rose quote at the end!
>
>
>New Orleans. How wonderful those words sound when said with no quirky
>emphasis on odd syllables. They always seem to elicit some response.
>Have you been there?
>Have you ever been to Cafe Du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait and gone
>back every morning of your visit? Have you ever sat for hours in the piano
>bar
>at Pat O'Brien's sipping hurricanes?
>Have you ever been to Mardi Gras - Bacchus? Endymion? Rex? Have you ever
>had
>oysters at the Acme House? Have you ever sat out on the "fly" eating
>crawfish and drinking Dixie beer?
>Have you ever taken a walking tour of the Garden District? Have you ever
>sung karaoke at Cat's Meow? Do you know who John Folse is? Have you ever
>risen
>at 6am to roam the streets of a "quiet" French Quarter?
>Have you ever been to Galatoire's? K-Paul's? Emeril's?
>Can you remember when Zulu threw gold-painted coconuts?
>Have you ever ridden the street-car down St.Charles Avenue secretly
>sipping
>your strawberry daiquiri?
>Have you ever had a mint julep on the porch of The Columns Hotel? Have you
>ever been to Audubon Park? City Park? Have you ever been to mass at the
>St.
>Louis Cathedral?
>Do you know who Harry Connick, Sr is? Have you ever had breakfast at
>Brennan's? Have you ever been to the original Tipitina's? Have you ever
>been to the
>Superdome? Saint's game? Sugar Bowl? Super Bowl? Final Four?
>Have you ever had cheese fries at Fat Harry's? Thrown peanuts on the floor
>at O'Henry's? Have you ever been to the Rendon Inn? Can you remember the
>New
>Orleans World's Fair?
>Have you ever been to the campuses of Tulane and Loyola? Have you been to
>a
>crawfish boil? Sucked the heads? Have you ever been "on the lake"? "Across
>the lake"? To the "west bank"?
>Have you had a Ferdi from Mother's and wondered what "debris" was? Have
>you
>ever been an unexpected invitee to a jazz funeral? Have you ever been to
>Jazzfest ---- first or second weekend? Have you ever been to Pontchartrain
>Beach?
>Have you ever stood in line at the Camellia Grill? Had a po-boy at
>Uglesich's? Oyster and artichoke soup at Mandina's? BBQ shrimp at Pascal
>Manale's?
>Gumbo at Dookie Chase? Have you ever been to a plantation home?
>Have you ever been to the French Quarter festival? Can you pronounce
>Tchoupitoulas? Thibodaux ? Boutte? Have you ever been to Clancy's? The
>Upperline?
>Brightsen's?
>Have you ever been to the Biloxi beaches? Have you ever had a monsoon at
>Port of Call? Breakfast at the Blue Bird?
>Have you ever seen the Neville Brothers? Cowboy Mouth? The Radiators?
>Have you ever been to New Orleans ?
>If you've been there, undoubtedly one of these things found its way to
>your
>itinerary. You probably also saw the dirty streets, the tired shotgun
>houses,
>and cracked sidewalks. You've heard about the high crime, poor public
>schools, poverty, and racism. And yes, there are many housing projects. It
>is very
>hot in the summer, people are generally overweight, and the city is always
>a
>hurricane away from being flooded.
>Each visitor chooses to see the New Orleans they want to see it. Luckily,
>New Orleans has the amazing ability to win over many more than it loses.
>It can
>cause one to see the big oaks hovering over St. Charles and not the trash
>on
>the sidewalks. It can cause one to focus on the street musician and not
>the
>street beggar. It can cause one to see the wrought iron balcony rather
>than
>the dilapidated building. What is it about the Big Easy that makes most see
>the positive and not the negative?
>The answer to New Orleans' allure may, on the surface, seem different for
>locals and tourists, but I suspect that there is a common thread - the
>people,
>the heart and soul of New Orleans.
>There is a culture and tradition in New Orleans that is sweet and simple.
>No
>need to over analyze this. It recognizes that the enjoyment of family and
>life is as attainable for the poor as it is for the rich.
>A hand on a shoulder and touch on the arm is just the way we say hello.
>We know that good music, food, and drink is made all the better when
>surrounded by friends who share the same outlook. When it is your way of
>life, when
>it is woven into your circle of friends, social gatherings aren't seen as
>"excesses" but as something you just do.
>New Orleanians don't believe they've cornered the market on this way of
>life. They recognize it when they see it elsewhere, and they applaud it.
>What makes New Orleans special is that they have a concentration of people
>who have it and foster it.
>It's generational.
>It's hereditary.
>The challenge to New Orleans , to the New Orleanian, is as great as ever.
>Its reputation temporarily tarnished by the things that occurred in the
>aftermath of Katrina, it is up to those who live there, have been there,
>and adopted
>this city to not let these terrible scenes replace the ones they have of
>the
>Big Easy. While money is needed to rebuild, preserving that feeling and
>attitude that New Orleans gave you on that last visit is just as
>important. Did
>the flood waters wash away the New Orleans way of life? Not a chance. Not
>a
>chance that New
>Orleanians would deprive future generations of this breeding ground of the
>good life.
>With the vast destruction of parts of New Orleans now clear, the question
>is
>being asked repeatedly, "Is New Orleans worth rebuilding?"
>To that, I can only reply, "Have you ever been to New Orleans ?"
>To end, here is a quote from Chris Rose, the Times-Picayune Columnist:
>We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much,
>and
>live too large and, frankly, we're suspicious of others who don't...
>When you meet us now and you look into our eyes, you will see the saddest
>story ever told. Our hearts are broken into a thousand pieces. But don't
>pity
>us, we're gonna make it.
>After all, we've been rooting for the Saints for 40 years. That's got to
>count for something.
>
>
>Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and
>get used to the idea.
>-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 05-23-2007, 02:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,653 times
Dan, I suggest that you go to nola.com. The site has a visitor section you'll want to check out.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:47 PM

45 posts, read 257,533 times
where do these "rules" come from?

new orleans is my second home. i am there as a visitor every chance i get. pre-katrina- yeah, it could be a bit whiffy in certain parts of the quarter (parts most people who live there don't really hang out in anyway), but what city doesn't have the odd miasma of stench? when you stick a lot of humans together in a small area, there is gonna be some stinkiness. especially if some of them can't hold their liquor.

decent hotels? i always always always stay at the frenchmen The Frenchmen Hotel, New Orleans, Louisiana Reservations: 1-800-831-1781. cheap, clean, cute as a button and a block from decatur. but if that isn't your taste, there is the hotel st marie in the quarter, the columns in the garden district-- the list goes on and on. i think you'll find that post-katrina new orleans is a bit more quiet that pre-katrina. and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

and, at this point, who doesn't know to try and be safe when they travel anywhere? keep your hippack and "I LOVE NEW ORLEANS" tourist tshirt at home, take photos and consult maps discretely. don't run around telling everyone how much different this place is than omaha or pittsburgh or wherever and you 'll be fine. its common sense: be aware of your surroundings but relax. new orleans is a fantastic place and always will be IMHO. have fun!

Old 05-28-2007, 03:48 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,653 times
Nolagirl, you've just inspired me. I'm gonna put that on my kitchen wall; just as soon as I get one.

"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much,
and live too large and, frankly, we're suspicious of others who don't...
When you meet us now and you look into our eyes, you will see the saddest
story ever told. Our hearts are broken into a thousand pieces. But don't
pity us, we're gonna make it. After all, we've been rooting for the Saints for 40 years. That's got to count for something." From Dear America, by Chris Rose

Been a fan of Chris for years, always liked his writing style and quick wit. Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM

42 posts, read 63,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Nolagirl, you've just inspired me. I'm gonna put that on my kitchen wall; just as soon as I get one.

"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much,
and live too large and, frankly, we're suspicious of others who don't...
When you meet us now and you look into our eyes, you will see the saddest
story ever told. Our hearts are broken into a thousand pieces. But don't
pity us, we're gonna make it. After all, we've been rooting for the Saints for 40 years. That's got to count for something." From Dear America, by Chris Rose

Been a fan of Chris for years, always liked his writing style and quick wit. Thanks for the inspiration!
Yeah, yo rite, NOLAgirl, and Drouzin, I know what it means to "Miss New Orleans" and I am missin me a swimp po-boy rite now, and WWL radio , Saints, Buddy D, Nash, Hap, and all that goes with it. I am stuck in Charlotte Missing me some NOLA! There is no place like it and I am amazed at the people that I talk to every DAY that LOVED their visit to NOLA and how we instantly bond when they find out I am FROM THERE... A native!!! How special it is to be born in New Orleans.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_johnson View Post
Hello,

Next up on my "chopping block" of travel is: New Orleans!

I've never been to New Orleans, but the wife and I want to take a trip there in either mid-December or early January (second or third week).

Could somebody dispel/substantiate what I've heard about New Orleans from other people?

1. It absolutely reeks in summertime because all of the trash on the streets and the coastal location. I've never noticed that anywhere outside of Bourbon Street at night, when it reeks of dead ass. But it's all hosed away next morning, making it pleasant during the day. Frenchman Street can get a little guilty of this at night, too. But I have never noticed stench anywhere outside these two areas. (On the other hand, I've never been there in summer!)

2. There are barely any decent hotels left to stay in. Well, I'm not an expert on hotels. When I go there it's to stay in B & B's.

3. Most of the neighborhoods are "dangerous" or "questionable". Some, yes. As there are in San Francisco and most cities. Common sense is required.

4. Two full days is plenty of time to see everything New Orleans has to offer. Not in MY opinion. We spend at least 10 days whenever we go there and run ourselves ragged everyday ~ with always a few items on the agenda that we didn't do.

5. The locals are often unfriendly toward out-of-staters. Can be. But I have found just as many who are very warm and friendly.

Now, I'm not saying that I believe these things. This is just what people have told me based on their own personal experiences, and as we all know, other people's personal experiences cannot be taken as absolute truth.

I'd love to know the whats and wheres to avoid in New Orleans, which hotels have historic value and won't bankrupt me (four-star is our target--I've heard the Bourbon Orleans is nice, but again, other people's personal experiences), where to get REAL Creole cuisine (neither kitschy tourist food with imitation Made In India voodoo dolls on the walls nor a location in a neighborhood where I may not be entirely welcome), what NOT TO MISS in New Orleans, and, perhaps most importantly, when is the best time to visit (spring? autumn?).

We've just returned from Milwaukee and had a fabulous time. We'd love to make our New Orleans experience great as well!

Thanks!

Dan
Are you planning to rent a car? If so, let me suggest something that few people do, and that is to drive to Metairie to see the Metairie Cemetery. You can actually drive through that one, and it is a spectacular cemetery with unique, gorgeous tombs and some interesting history that you would notice. (Actually, there are several other cemeteries clustered around there and they are all very interesting.) Take your camera to snap some cool pictures.

When you want lunch or dinner, there's Deanie's Seafood on Lake Ave (get a map). Most of their menu is deep fried, but they do deep fried REAL well! Avoid rush hours.

I love to suggest things that are off the beaten path.

Also, with a car you can see more of the Garden District, and shop along Magazine Street. You can drive to City Park (quicker than by bus) and see the New Orleans Museum of Art (very nice!).

There is a wonderful garden nursery in the Bywater area, America Aquatic Gardens on Elysian Fields.

Check out the F&F Botanic Spiritual Supply Store in the Treme area (Broad St). They sell lots of candles, herbs and oils, incense, statues, and Lord knows what else for personal and religious use. I always blow money in there whenever we visit.

In the Treme is a small but wonderful Mardi Gras Indians museum, Backstreet Cultural Museum. You will be in awe of the exquisite display of costumes made from the hands of the members. It's an extraordinary piece of New Orleans' Black history that few people know about. It is on St. Claude.

And those are my suggestions and I'm sticking to 'em!

Last edited by Bluesmama; 03-29-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Just a small tidbit, BluesMama... i know you're a NOLA lover so forgive me... Metairie cemetery is actually within city limits (yes, despite its name). It's on Metairie ridge, though, which along with Gentilly Ridge were the two high points "back o'town".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans