Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM

239 posts, read 612,498 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Quick question: How long does the LA teacher certification process take once one has submitted all materials? I'm an out-of-state applicant and meet all of the criteria; I'm just wondering how long it takes to be processed. I'm looking to teach in or around New Orleans come the 2010-2011 school year. Any insight on this (and any other teaching in NOLA matters) is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM

22 posts, read 92,206 times
Default teaching

Hi, so am I correct in assuming you've already submitted the paperwork? If not, don't sweat it. You can get a job here without holding a LA license, particularly if you hold a license from another state. Do you? If so, go ahead and start applying to schools!

I held a license from another state, got hired here, and the school district for which I work (not Orleans parish but nearby) submitted the licensure paperwork for me. I had it within a month, probably more like 3 weeks.

So, I'd recommend getting a job first and letting the school district get the LA license for you. I hold a level 2 LA teaching license, and all I did was give my district a copy of my license from the other state, copies of Praxis scores, and proof of teaching history. It was quite simple and painless.

I can talk to you about applying if you don't already have a license, but before I go into that, I'll wait for your reply.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM

239 posts, read 612,498 times
Thanks for the response, Juana. I've got all my paperwork in order. I already applied for the certification. (I'm permanently certified in NY, so I know it will transfer easily). I was accepted into the teachNOLA Master Teacher Corps which, I've heard, pretty much guarantees a job, but I am interested in surrounding areas. I teach in a "rough school" now, so I know I can handle the RSD, but I don't want to limit my options.

Next question: How do teachers fare in New Orleans (and surrounding areas)? I'm tenured with a job on Long Island and people think I'm nuts for wanting to leave that because of the pay cut, but Long Island is ridiculously expensive (and it's not all about money to me)! I'm just wondering what the comfort level and quality of life is for teachers in the area. I expect to hear positive responses; I'm just very cautious. I've never done anything remotely close to such a major move - I currently live 12 minutes driving distance from the house I grew up in) - so the whole thing is pretty scary ... but exciting!

Also, what's the job market like in general? My fiance will be searching. He's a mortgage broker -- not such a good thing to be in this market -- but also has experience in healthcare staffing among other things. All advice welcome.
Thanks!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM

207 posts, read 537,670 times
MegDrew,

I am really sorry noone else posted another reply to you. I would love to know the same things. I am considering doing exactly what you suggested and didn't want to repeat the same questions. So I hope someone can chime in and give us both some direction. I'm not concerned about the schools or even the pay because it is on par with what Michigan pays. So I won't go up, but I wont go down. I have applied to teach in DC and was getting great interest, but the weather has been so stifling out east, no one has had the time to get back to me. So I applied to teachnola as a back up plan. I'm either going east or south,for sure. Anyway, all I really want to know is about the public trans system. How do you get around in nola or sola or whatever you call it. I found a great place that is reasonably priced, applied for the cert, applied to teach nola and it's just me and the dog, so we are ready to roll whenever someone calls. So DC or NOLA, somebody had better ring my phone soon. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans