Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 12,255 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to New Orleans this coming fall to start grad school (I haven't accepted the offer yet, but am heavily thinking on it). I love New Orleans and have no qualms about moving there, I think it would be a fabulous experience for a few years, maybe longer if it works out for me.

I am a born and raised Californian, considerate, polite and friendly, grew up near San Francisco, currently live in Los Angeles. I usually meet new people easily, I love art, music, food, literature and am open to all types of culture. (I know, Californians are rude, they are bad driver's etc. but I don't fit that typecast!) I am also single and 35 years old. As a woman who has been living in Los Angeles for the past 7 years, I have found dating here and sustaining romantic relationships to be very difficult. I would think it is just me, however, I have many friends whom I believe are all amazing women, and all of us have a hard time here.

So my question is: What's it like for a single woman in New Orleans?

I'm open to hearing anyone's viewpoint, married-single-male-female. Really, I am just curious.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM

26 posts, read 91,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress74 View Post
I would think it is just me
It never occurred to you that it might be Los Angeles? I've never been there but I've heard it's hard to make actual, decent friends, let alone find romantic partners. Surely you are familiar with the stereotype, and surely there is some truth to it?

People that know me well who have spent any amount of time in LA tell me I wouldn't get along very well there.

Anyhow, I'm coming on 30 and single, and moving to NO soon myself, so perhaps we can turn this into more of a "What's it like for young singles?" discussion. Or, I can bugger off.... that's an option too.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Yes, it probably has a lot to do with LA, that was my gist. For the record, I know some wonderful folks here in Los Angeles, it's an eclectic city that often gets unfairly derided. Though there are plenty of plastic people here too.

Back to the point: Changing the discussion into a "what's life for singles" is alright by me. Now we just need some natives to chime in! Hello?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 67,895 times
We definitely need some single folks from New Orleans to chime in. Maybe a new thread?

As far as dating in Los Angeles, my best friend (female, mid-30s, intelligent, attractive, educated) had a very challenging time dating in Los Angeles. She went so far as hiring a matchmaker. Once she left Los Angeles (she moved to New Mexico), she met someone and is now on her way to marriage.

I am relocating to New Orleans during the summer and am also interested in hearing about the New Orleans dating scene for the 30-somethings.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 AM

Default Maybe try a new thread?

Hey Miss Mariah,
Funny you should mention New Mexico, that is my other choice depending on the grad school decision, congrats to your friend. My main complaint beside general flakiness and lack of manners in the LA dating scene is that I am TALL and I swear, they grow short men in this town!

Since current residence aren't adding their perspective do you want to start another thread with a better title? Mine was sort of ambiguous...
(and good luck with the move)

Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 33,886 times
OK, I'll chime in. I am not single, but I WAS when I moved here! I lived in the Napa area briefly, but I know that it's hard to compare different sections of CA.

New Orleans has changed a bit since Katrina... some for good things and some things... not as much. One thing that stands out as a comparison is that when I lived in California, most people were not from the area, so on holidays, it wasn't a big deal to find something to do with friends. When I moved back to New Orleans (I went to college here) as a single woman, I sometimes felt a little lonely at holiday times because most people in the city were FROM here or from nearby, and they had huge families with lots of holiday traditions. I didn't feel like they were being rude for not always inviting me to tag along-- it just didn't occur to people that someone might not have family nearby. I've known some other transplants that felt similarly.

Since Katrina, there are a lot more new people in the city, so I think you might not experience that as much now. I just throw that out, because until I got engaged... it was kind of an issue for me and made it hard for me to feel rooted here.

But... obviously I loved it and stayed and got married and had kids, etc. etc. etc. This is a great city for young adults... well for adults of many ages! There is a LOT to do (except not so much for outdoorsy sporty things-- you might miss that...it's too darn hot to do much of that in the summer!) If you are open and interested in the culture here, the people will love you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans