Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 29,755 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been a long time reader of these forums, but had to register to ask a few questions. I apologize for the length.

I'm a single (21) year old female moving to NOLA in August. I'll be attending UNO, but I don't want to live on campus. I've been 'casing' neighborhoods and have a general idea as to where I should live.. but I'm concerned about crime in some areas. I'm pretty street smart, and feel like I could handle myself if I had to. I just want to be aware of my surroundings by taking note of the sketchy streets.

What I'm looking for:

-Walking distance of 'things' to do. Museums/bars/restaurants/shopping etc.
- $1000 a month with EVERYTHING included.. or 600-800 month with nothing included. (How much do utilities generally run??)
-Close to public transportation in case i need it.

I really like the idea of Uptown.. but I notice that it's kind of far away from UNO on the map. Are there any streets in Uptown in particular that I should avoid?

Ideally, I'd like to live in the warehouse district, cbd, or french quarter. I've been checking out Craigslist and It's looking like I could find something in my budget if I were lucky. Are there any streets in these area that I should really avoid?

Streets I've been looking at:

Josephine, Dauphine(?), Marigny Triangle area, Burgundy.

How about apartment complexes in any of these areas? Does anyone know of anything in my price range?

Any other advice would really be appreciated. I apologize if these questions have already been asked.. if you can link me to another thread too, that would be great! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
It's going to be a stretch finding anything for less than $1000/month and that usually has nothing included - especially in any of the areas you're considering. If you'd consider a roommate, that's how my college student friends have made out with decent places. Being in walking distance of things to do generally tacks on $$$ to your rent also.

Electricity tends to run high with my average bill running between $150-$200. Of course, you could cut back on that, I'm kind of an electricity hog. TV, phone, internet are pretty average and you can, of course, pick and choose what you need to make it cheaper. I used to pay $100/month for a cable/phone/high speed internet package but that was a year ago and I have since changed "needs" with a better financial situation .

Just for your reference: electricity is Entergy (your only choice), the main cable company in the area is Cox. When you're looking at what's included, keep in mind that you don't want to live in a place without an exterminator!

If you're looking at Uptown, just stay close to the Loyola and Tulane campuses. It is pretty far from UNO but not too bad. Traffic will be the worst part about it.

Warehouse/cbd/French Quarter are all very pricey. If it's cheap, there's usually a bad reason for it. Not always, but most often. I can't think of an actual complex in the city. Some newer constructions have been opened down Tulane Ave right outside the CBD but they're more condo-ish and one wanted $3000 for a one bedroom. And, while they're trying to make it a nicer area, it's still not a great place to live.

As far as the streets you mentioned, it depends on what part of the street it's on. What is the closest cross street? We'd be able to help you better there. Just be careful on Craigslist. Do not send money before you've been to see the apartment - I've known numerous people who were scammed by ruthless trolls over there. They seem to like picking on NOLA.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 29,755 times
Exterminator?? As in bugs?

I've been trying to keep close to St Charles Ave, Magazine AVE, and Jackson ave.. I THINK these are in/near the Garden Street. Are these streets decent? I've been hearing a lot about Magazine Ave. Would it be better to be closer to the river, or farther away?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
I have a friend paying 850 for a 1br at The Saulet. From my understanding rents are usually cheaper than what they advertise. S & WB and trash are included.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
Yes. As in bugs. This is the Deep South, hon. They're everywhere and they're huge. Even the nicest of homes has an exterminator come around to spray even if there isn't a bug problem because they will find a way in, believe me. Ours comes around every month and we don't have (and never have had) any problems. A termite contract is another must. Those things will come and eat a stick in your backyard .

Anyhow, you mean Magazine STREET and the Garden DISTRICT. St. Charles Ave and Magazine St run for miles so, again, it's a matter of where on the street you are. St. Charles is decent just about anywhere. Jackson is pretty good from St. Charles to the river. The further from the river you get on Jackson, the less I'd recommend it. This area of Jackson/St. Charles you're looking at is in the Garden District.

Look at where Tulane and Loyola Universities are arouns St Charles and Magazine - that should be a good judge of a decent area. IMO, the closer you get to the river (towards Audubon Park), the nicer it is, but there aren't too many areas of Magazine that are THAT bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans