Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 19,734 times

Advertisements

I am seriously thinking about relocating to New Orleans, I currently live in Florida and I am over it. I am looking for a 1 bedroom but I am not really sure where is the safest place to live. Something that concerns me is the off street parking, are there any parking lots for the apartments or is it all off street parking? Some co-workers of mine have been trying to scare me out of moving. However, I think it will be a good move for me. Basically, I want to know where are the best locations for a single 25 year old to move in the new orleans area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM

38 posts, read 91,611 times
I recently moved to NO and can offer advice based on what I found. It would be helpful to know what price range you are looking at before offering any suggestions... however I'll make some suggestions anyway.

In the $1100+ range the CBD/warehouse district is pretty ideal. Those prices can get a nice 1 bedroom in a relatively safe easily walkable neighborhood. Some places even have parking.

If you're looking for a more traditional New Orleans vibe check out the French Quarter or the Marigny triangle. Parking is an issue here. For the most part it is street parking . . . something to keep in mind.

Also consider looking out St. Charles St and the Tulane area.

Ultimately you need to drive around and look at different neighborhoods, each has their own flavor and charm. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I appreciate the input, I should have added my price range info. I am looking for a 1 bedroom anywhere from 700-1000 max.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,867 times
Where are you on the bohemian scale?(1-10 1 = conservative soccer mom 10=total free spirit) The neighborhood vibes can vary.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM

I am about an 8 or a 9 on the bohemian scale.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM

I was considering Harmony Oaks Apartments, anyone heard of them? From the pictures they look quite nice, and I am also considering taking a position in the frenchmen st. area is anyone knowledgable in that area?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,867 times
Frenchman St. is 2 blocks outside of the French Quarter in the Marigny. The Marigny should be your 1st choice. This is the area East(Downriver) from the French Quarter. The Bywater should be your second choice as it's a little further away, but a little cheaper.There are plenty of places within a mile of Frenchman St. You want to look between St. Claude Ave. and the river. I attatched a picture that might show it better.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving and I need your opinions....-marigny.jpg  

Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,914 times
Harmony Oaks is the old Magnolia Projects. There are nice(r) projects to mixed income housing but no way in hell would I live in Harmony Oaks.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 PM

I really appreciate your feedback rburnett and prytania. I recently found out that Harmony Oaks was an old housing project so I must say I will not be moving there. UGHH! this moving this is getting a bit stressful, so I have been at some other apartments such as Parc Fontaine, Audubon Pointe of Algiers, and Riverview which are all located in new orleans, 70131 zip code. I should be visiting shortly so hopefully I don't become too dissapointed. I just want a place where it is culturally diverse, however I do not want to get shot in the process (is this too much to ask, lol).

Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 145,618 times
Check out The Georgian Apartments, Lousiana.

Its a little far away from where you'd potentially be working (and by far away I mean about a 15 minute drive) but its in the Garden District, and its right on St Charles.

I'm not sure what the apartments go for rent wise these days, but when I lived around there you could find a 1 bedroom in your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: