Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:40 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
They go by whatever is on your tax return. Stop being difficult.
No actually they don't. It's not that simple. As someone who interviewed for this building I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 AM

457 posts, read 736,935 times
I applied for this lottery and was called. It was the easiest transaction ever. I decided it wasn't a fit and declined it at the end because the price for a studio was way too expensive.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:25 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I applied for this lottery and was called. It was the easiest transaction ever. I decided it wasn't a fit and declined it at the end because the price for a studio was way too expensive.
AND your point being? Maybe you had an easy interview due to working one job and getting an annual salary. Many don't and therefore income isn't calculated straight forward like that. Every case is different so don't bash someone that has a question.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 AM

14 posts, read 22,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeffort View Post
hi everyone i have a question. is income only calculated by your gross, or do they add other form of pay you may receive in your paycheck that are not tax deductible nor added to your ytd gross. I am in the military and get untaxed income that accounts for half of my pay. It is not calculated in my gross. Lastly my current pay this year would allow for me to quality for an apt, but my taxes last year put me under the limit, is it based on my current pay or last years taxes when calculating income restrictions.

thank you
They'll take the highest salary you have listed, which from what you said would be this years. They also calculate gross and any other form of income and assets ie. pension, 401k, child support untaxed military income etc. You should be fine

Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 AM

34 posts, read 50,359 times
@coolwaterbottle. They base it on current income. I got into a building last year... I was under the year prior but they based it on 6 weeks of recent pay stubs pretax. They determined I made too much for a studio and offered me a 1-bedroom. It is a bit tougher if your income ranges from month to month like mine but they will just review you longer and ask for more paychecks. More important is good credit and rent payment history to get past the building. Income is for the housing department to approve you.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 22,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCitygirl24 View Post
@coolwaterbottle. They base it on current income. I got into a building last year... I was under the year prior but they based it on 6 weeks of recent pay stubs pretax. They determined I made too much for a studio and offered me a 1-bedroom. It is a bit tougher if your income ranges from month to month like mine but they will just review you longer and ask for more paychecks. More important is good credit and rent payment history to get past the building. Income is for the housing department to approve you.
I'm not sure what building you're referencing but for 530/Gotham West in particular, I know for a fact they will take your highest earned income, even if said income is from the previous year as stated on your tax return. I'm moving in shortly and have been going through this process for months. They used my current income because it was higher than last year but my spouses numbers from last year because those were higher. It's all based on earning potential.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 PM

47 posts, read 114,142 times
ive been here in a one bed almost 5 years. its a beautiful apt with a nice layout. the building i'm in is 550 W 45 St. Fantastic!!

Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 AM

36 posts, read 71,045 times
I just moved in the a studio apartment in the in the 511 building. Would have wanted the 530 with the doorman but im getting use to it. Its a really nice building.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 PM

75 posts, read 112,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applicant View Post
Hi. I was just informed that I have passed all the qualifications and that the management agency would be calling me about signing a lease. The move-in date is approximately June 1. I thought I would share my experience.

I currently live in Chelsea, so I was in the correct District when I applied. I sent in my application a few weeks before the closing of the lottery last year. About the second week in January I received a form letter telling me that I was ineligible as my income was too high. They were apparently misreading my application, so I appealed via e-mail. I was contacted almost immediately and asked to send in a number of items to show my eligibility (tax return, pay stubs, landlord and employment verfications, etc.) which I sent back by the end of January. I had in interview in mid-February which was essentially a chance for me to fill out some forms for NYHD and bring in more current pay stubs. It was very casual. In very early March the agent showed me five apartments in the middle section and I gave him my two top choices. A week later they asked for a money order to do a credit check. About two weeks later, the agent presented my file to the Developer and I was approved. I had to go back to the office and sign a few more forms for the City and then my file was sent to the City for approval. Yesterday, I heard that I had been approved.

The agent was incredibly kind and helpful and while I certainly had to supply a lot of paperwork, it wasn't onerous or nerve-wracking. If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.

P.S. While the building wasn't finished it is really quite nice. The common area in the halls are great and the fixtures, etc. are quite nice.

Good luck!
Hi im just did my interview 22 jan im gave them all paper except my daughter ssn gave them paper say recieve 2 week and 25$ money order how long take check credit please info

Old 05-28-2022, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 331 times
Hi there! Any tenants already living here has been on the waiting list for larger apartment that's been called? I asked to be on it 8 years ago. Back then when I asked for email confirming this, they said they don't, but that I was added. Three different managers and supers later, still same story....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery