Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 19,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrih329 View Post
Hello everyone, just wanted to share a story and see if there is anyone out there that can help.

I won the lottery for one of HPD affordable Housing unit, I was really excited had all my paperwork ready for the interview and was good to go. I get to the interview and give all my paperwork knowing that I fit into their income guidelines that they posted on line. The interviewer came back into the room and said that they do four different calculations for income, I was approved on 3 but because of the fourth my application for that building is being denied. The fourth source that they used is they made an assumption that I will get a raise and bonus next year so rhey had to calculate that. And once they added my next year's invisible raise they found that my income exceeds their guidelines. I was devastated because I just feel like they tried to find anyway they can to make me ineligible. Does anyone know what can I do about this???

@sherrih329
Hi how are you? could you PM me please. I too faced something similar. You are not the only one who faced theses situations trying to get affordable housing. Lets do something about it.

It sounds like they choose to find a way to disqualify you, because they are qualifying who they want, as who is governing the application process.

There needs to be more transparency about how income is calculated across the board. If the income says you 30,000 a year to qualify, and you make 30,000 a year that should be it, they should be allowed to analyze and apply these ridiculous calculation methods to make it hard for people who qualify. Lets do something about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM

343 posts, read 1,093,741 times
The income ranges are uniform because the developers do not set the income ranges, the city does.

Unfortunately there is no real way to prove unfair treatment in a process like this, being that there are many ppl who apply and most applicants do not receive apartments simply because the volume of applicants is so high and the number of apartments is so low.

The best I can tell you to do is to only apply for lotteries you are certain you meet the income guidelines for (just do the math beforehand), make sure you are giving them CLEAR information on your paperwork and triple check that there are no mistakes. Other than that there's no sense in beating a dead horse. Best of luck!!

Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 AM

29 posts, read 77,682 times
Bkliving,

The HUD handbook 4350 can be searched through google.

Good Luck

Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM

431 posts, read 661,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
It is what it is. I never meet the income requirements for those lottery apartments. It looks like they gear it towards poor individuals/families to illegal immigrants. A middle class person is never qualified for one.

I dream of that day that there is a housing lottery for the middle class. 40k to 80k

Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 AM

29 posts, read 77,682 times
Lottery appeals must have supporting docs. For overtime/bonud issues, the employers must create a letter evidencing the past few years of this income. In addition, the employers letter must state this income is not consistent.

The agent can then average this income and add the averaged income to the base.

If this result provides an eligible income, you have a case.

Good Luck

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM

32 posts, read 56,432 times
@NYC subsidy troll... I am reading the HUD handbook 4350. The sentence "full amount, before any payroll deductions" is throwing me off. Does this mean that the pretax deductions (401K contributions, health savings contributions, medical expenses) can not reduce your gross income for purposes of gross income under the HUD's method of calculation gross income?

The pre-tax deductions are excluded from line 1 of the w-2 (federal wages)

Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 PM

494 posts, read 559,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingTheFaith View Post
My advise for your appeal is google "hpd affordable housing marketing guidelines" and "hud income calculations". You will be able to view the pdf at www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/Marketing-Guidelines.pdf. Though 66 Rockwell is not governed my hpd, all affordable housing 80/20 follow the rules outlined. If you are an employee, meaning not self employed. Your income should be calculated 3 ways. 1, the highest of the last 3 taxes, your current income based on and average of your 6 paystubs, and projecting your year income for 2013 using the year to date income and making a projecting off of that number. I have never heard of projecting 2014 income, thats crazy. If that was the only reason you were denied, you will have a good change of successfully appealing.

Hi,

I was wondering if you know how they calculate people that are self employed?

Also does it matter if you had multiple jobs?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
Default Over income determination help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Subsidy Troll View Post
A raise cannot be projected, but a bonus can be. If you received a bonus in the prior year, they will assume a similar bonus.

You would need to provide a letter from your employer indicating that you will not be receiving a bonus in the current year.

Further, you can appeal the initial determination, but you will only have a few days to provide additional documentation to overturn the determination.

If anyone needs assistance with an Over Income determination from a Public Subsidized development in NYC,
PM me for more details and have the Advertisement with you.
Hi I'm new on this site I'm not sure how to respond.. However my application was terminated for Water Street apts because the maximum income required for 1 family is 29,000 and my w2's show I don't make over 29,000 annually.. They determined I make $35,176.46 annually based on my paycheck in which I get paid bi-weekly.. And I haven't done any overtime..please help me send in an appeal.. My contact email is [email]KLYNKE@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM

86 posts, read 112,916 times
Post Gateway Elton

Hello, I'm new to the forum lifestyle. I applied for the Gateway Elton II affordable housing units back in February 2015, I received a letter in the mail for a interview about the first week in April 2015. I went to the interview had all my copies prepared and ready. The interviewer took all my paperwork, looked it over and said everything looked great. They sent out work verification letter an a landlord verification form as well, now it has to be approved by HPD I believe. How long should this process be if the interviewer stated leases will be signed in May ?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:28 AM

292 posts, read 704,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkliving View Post
@sherrih329
Hi how are you? could you PM me please. I too faced something similar. You are not the only one who faced theses situations trying to get affordable housing. Lets do something about it.

It sounds like they choose to find a way to disqualify you, because they are qualifying who they want, as who is governing the application process.

There needs to be more transparency about how income is calculated across the board. If the income says you 30,000 a year to qualify, and you make 30,000 a year that should be it, they should be allowed to analyze and apply these ridiculous calculation methods to make it hard for people who qualify. Lets do something about this.
I agree. I gave up with them tho and my goal us to find a better jib so I can hopefully buy a house. Might take a while but I'm so fed up with his process. I feel they are targeting low income families and delaying and/or disqualifying them for stupid ish. People are just trying to survive here in this expensive a$$ place. Sorry, I'm just venting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery