Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,850,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Connect View Post
Interesting. So the warm air humidifier makes more sense than a heater?? What is a humidifier normally used for? Does it help people who have a harder time breathing or have lung problems or asthma? I like the part about sweats to shorts. We have been having really cold weather here...this morning the wind chills made it feel like minus 12. Not exactly usual for NYC. It would be nice not to have to wear so many clothes inside as well.
P.S. I was told that we would be paying for the electric that runs the fan in the thermostat and that it was best to keep it on auto as opposed to lo, med, or high, cause on auto the fan does not come on as often.
A humidifier adds moisture to the air. The more moisture in the air, the warmer it feels (so yes it will ease your breathing as you feel moisturized instead of staticy) . As to breathing issues, go to a Pulmonologist and get a script for a CPAP (your ins co may require a sleep study) with a humidifier built in. Its down side is that you'd have to wear some sort of mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:02 AM

40 posts, read 61,871 times
Default Where's Everybody?

Hope everybody is doing good. No posts for such a long time now...

Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM

125 posts, read 229,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Connect View Post
Hope everybody is doing good. No posts for such a long time now...
Hi NYC,

I moved in on Feb. 26th. I love my apartment and I'm surprised at how quiet the building is. Most people in the building seem nice, although I have encountered a couple of sketchy folks. I leave for work really early in the morning, and sometimes the elevator stinks like cigarette smoke. Other than that, no complaints about the building.

The neighborhood is a different story. I like that Flushing is safe, convenient, and so close to Manhattan, but it's taking me some time to adjust to the crowds. I generally avoid Main Street and Roosevelt Ave unless I'm taking the train. The lack of American supermarkets in walking distance is extremely frustrating. I hope a Key Food or something opens up around here soon.

I'm also surprised at the lack of after school programs in the area. Because the after school at the neighborhood school is so expensive, I didn't transfer my daughter. So that means we have to travel by bus every morning to my old neighborhood which is on the other side of Queens. It's been tough on my daughter but she doesn't want to switch schools anyway. Overall, I'm very grateful that I won this apartment but it's taking some adjusting.

How about you NYC? Anyone else want to post some updates?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,220,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
Hi NYC,

I moved in on Feb. 26th. I love my apartment and I'm surprised at how quiet the building is. Most people in the building seem nice, although I have encountered a couple of sketchy folks. I leave for work really early in the morning, and sometimes the elevator stinks like cigarette smoke. Other than that, no complaints about the building.

The neighborhood is a different story. I like that Flushing is safe, convenient, and so close to Manhattan, but it's taking me some time to adjust to the crowds. I generally avoid Main Street and Roosevelt Ave unless I'm taking the train. The lack of American supermarkets in walking distance is extremely frustrating. I hope a Key Food or something opens up around here soon.

I'm also surprised at the lack of after school programs in the area. Because the after school at the neighborhood school is so expensive, I didn't transfer my daughter. So that means we have to travel by bus every morning to my old neighborhood which is on the other side of Queens. It's been tough on my daughter but she doesn't want to switch schools anyway. Overall, I'm very grateful that I won this apartment but it's taking some adjusting.

If you walk up Northern towards Linden Pl. and walk up Linden Pl. & make left at 31st Rd. there is a Pathmark shopping center there. One of the best pizza places is in that shopping center as well. Amore's pizza. The owners are from the same family as the infamous Gloria pizza that was on Main St. near Rossevelt for years. They closed long time ago. There are many things is that shopping center. Flushing is a great area to live although it has changed over the years. Best place for asian food though. The likely hood of any Americanized businesses opening in area are next to nothing anymore though. I grew up in Flushing & moved away in 1990 but am there often to visit some friends & family. Everything we knew is gone. The diners are all asian place snow. Even the McDonald way down on Northern shut down too. If you go to Hong Kong...Flushing is all they talk about. That told me a lot. Still a wonderful place to live & very expensive.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 PM

8,945 posts, read 4,813,658 times
Quote:
Hi NYC,

My mom discovered an American grocery store called Food Plus that's on 44-24 Kissena Blvd. It's quite a walk however. but doable. There's also a much smaller American grocery store called Met Foods on 4162 Bowne Street that's closer to where you are. Then of course there's Target and BJ's over at Skyview Mall on College Point. If desperate there's Duane Reade on Main Street.

The last standing American grocery store closed about four-five years ago called Key Food. I still miss that store to this day. The Asian grocery stores are great but they don't carry a vast selection of American products. Although, NY Mart that replaced Key Food does a decent job but you can find similar items at cheaper prices at Food Plus.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:10 PM

Thank you Aeran and loribell! I heard there was a Pathmark, but I thought it wasn't in walking distance. I'll also check out that Food Plus. I am desperate! I've been tagging along with my mom when she goes shopping and she's kind enough to drop me home (I don't have a car). But I really need something in walking distance. Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM

8,945 posts, read 4,813,658 times
Quote:
Thank you Aeran and loribell! I heard there was a Pathmark, but I thought it wasn't in walking distance. I'll also check out that Food Plus. I am desperate! I've been tagging along with my mom when she goes shopping and she's kind enough to drop me home (I don't have a car). But I really need something in walking distance. Thanks again!
Given the fact that you don't have a car, you may want to check out New York Mart on 142-41 Roosevelt Avenue if you haven't already done so. Out of all the Asian Markets their stock of American/Spanish products is the most extensive. You may also want to try Hong Kong Supermarket (37-11 Main Street) downstairs section. Their prices are cheaper than NY Mart.

Pathmark is quite a walk! I went a couple of times and it's really, really far. Further out than Food Plus and Food Plus is a good 10 blocks or so away, I think. My mom doesn't mind the walk, she sees it as exercise but don't know if others will feel the same esp. if you're lugging heavy grocery bags.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,220,281 times
Pathmark is not that far of a walk considering what they offer. Nothing like it closer to where your building is. Everything else is geared towards the asian community pretty much. There are no other true full size supermarkets in the area. If you have not gotten one yet hopefully you have one of those 2 or 4 wheeled shopping carts that fold up for easy storage. Makes it simple to go grocery shopping. Have not been tho that shopping center in long time. But last was there Amore's pizza was still great. Nice to have a slice of pizza before going into Pathmark! There are also many other stores in there as well. McDonalds,Wendys too. There is also Whitestone Lanes if you are interested in bowling..it has been there for years. Used to bowl there in the 70's. Hope this helps you. Enjoy Flushing & all it has to offer. Go to a Mets game. Don't forget Flushing Meadow park either! A gem in the area.

Also if they deliver to your zip code there is also a supermarket delivery service called Pea Pod (by Stop & Shop supermarkets). You order online & they deliver your groceries right to your kitchen.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Two questions

1. I tried to turn on the air conditioner this weekend and it's just blowing warm air. Has anyone else tried to use the AC? I emailed MS. Villa to see if the super has to physically turn the ac unit on and if so, when that will be. I'm just wondering if everyone is having the same issue or if it's just my unit.

2. For the parents that have transferred their children to P.S. 107, how do the kids like it? If your child is taking the school bus, what time does it usually come in the morning? I'm transferring my daughter for next year (5th grade) and just want to know if it's a good school. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2015, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
When I applied it was only me and my wife but now we have our 10 months old baby.Do you think they will disqualified me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery