Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM

503 posts, read 898,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, no one wants to spend all their money on rent. Yes, I assume he has a life out of the house and has places to go. A part of getting and maintaining SSI is medical and/or psychiatric treatments. He needs money to pay for that, and he needs money to pay for co pays for treatment and/or medication.

There is no such thing as a room for rent for only $400 a month in rent, not even in immigrant neighborhoods. Anything that cheap is shared with another person in a room. I've been inside homes and apartments in immigrant neighborhoods and seen this stuff for myself.

Plus food is pretty expensive, he'd want a good amount of money left over on food.

There is absolutely no reason for a person on SSI to rent a room long term when via the social service system, they will get their own apartment. I get some people here are jealous that people on government programs can get their own apartments when they through working low wage jobs can't, but such is life and if you're that upset about it you should be pushing for higher pay.

Having known my share of people on SSI and on the system itself, he'll eventually get his own apartment. Only 1/3 of his income would be spent on rent if he moved into NYCHA, leaving him with about $500 or so a month in spending money.

Or if he moves in a SRO, the rent is entirely paid for by the city and he keeps the whole $800 a month to himself. All he has to do is call HRA for the SRO, or call the social service agencies I and others have recommended here.
Hahahahaha

Gave me a good laugh. You're an idiot.

And I'll say it again, I don't know what chinatown dungeon you walked into, but I've seen it first hand and have known of people renting rooms in these neighborhoods. I have no reason to lie and your word is not the commandment. You have your own experience I have mine, so get off mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
Hahahahaha

Gave me a good laugh. You're an idiot.

And I'll say it again, I don't know what chinatown dungeon you walked into, but I've seen it first hand and have known of people renting rooms in these neighborhoods. I have no reason to lie and your word is not the commandment. You have your own experience I have mine, so get off mine.
It's not about your experience or my experience. Whether on this board the OP people will what he wants, his own apartment paid for by the government. He'll continue to ask random people until he figures out what he needs to know, and that will be that. So no room is needed.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:40 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,200 times
3471489040013500800.QUOTE=NyWriterdude;34714890]Dude, no one wants to spend all their money on rent. Yes, I assume he has a life out of the house and has places to go. A part of getting and maintaining SSI is medical and/or psychiatric treatments. He needs money to pay for that, and he needs money to pay for co pays for treatment and/or medication.[/quote]

Not true. It's not mandatory for anyone to have continued medical visits. Since receiving benefits is due to some sort of ongoing medical condition a person has to seek medical attention but SSA doesn't demand this, usually under a temporary disability claim will the SSA ask a person directly and/or contact a person's doctor as to their condition and whether or they could work.

He also qualifies for Medicaid/Medicare which either all or part of his Medical fees would be paid. Under Medicaid he qualifies under a spend down account and would be reimbursed for anything he pays out of pocket.

Traveling via the MTA since he's disabled (depending upon the disability) allows him to pay reduced fare.

Moderator cut: Please address the merits of a post and not another member

3471489040013500800.QUOTE=NyWriterdude;34714890]
Plus food is pretty expensive, he'd want a good amount of money left over on food.[/quote]

He would get food stamps. NEXT

3471489040013500800.QUOTE=NyWriterdude;34714890] There is absolutely no reason for a person on SSI to rent a room long term when via the social service system, they will get their own apartment. [/quote]

This is no guarantee. People who are disabled should be moved to the front of the line ahead of people popping out kids left and right (getting an apartment only allows them to have more babies in most instances). There are plenty who don't receive subsidized housing that get SSI.

3471489040013500800.QUOTE=NyWriterdude;34714890] I get some people here are jealous that people on government programs can get their own apartments when they through working low wage jobs can't, but such is life and if you're that upset about it you should be pushing for higher pay.[/quote]

Hmmmm, reminds me of the scumbags that lived right above me, didn't work but wanted the government to bank roll their criminal lackadaisical way of living. They were jealous of me so they tried their best to get my benefits terminated. God don't like ugly. All their crap was thrown out the window by the Sheriff's office yesterday.

Whose fault is it if someone working can't afford an apartment? If you have common sense you'll work additional jobs while finding a way to better yourself instead of laying around blaming others for your misfortune. Or you downsize to what you can afford rather than trying to steal money on the internet using the excuse someone is making you do it. You made your own bed. These lowlifes will never take responsibility and will continue blaming others while they bump their heads into a brick wall. They'll continue to be evicted from places simply b/c their attitude sucks.

3471489040013500800.QUOTE=NyWriterdude;34714890] Having known my share of people on SSI and on the system itself, he'll eventually get his own apartment. Only 1/3 of his income would be spent on rent if he moved into NYCHA, leaving him with about $500 or so a month in spending money.[/quote]

Again no guarantee, especially in a city as large as NYC.

Why don't you speak from what you know rather than assume just cause you think you know another's situation. You are so unbelievably pessimistic you should never offer advice for someone looking for hope. First of all you'd just end up giving the wrong information.

Or if he moves in a SRO, the rent is entirely paid for by the city and he keeps the whole $800 a month to himself. All he has to do is call HRA for the SRO, or call the social service agencies I and others have recommended here.[/quote]

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-08-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM

14 posts, read 25,665 times
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try using those links.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokkaidoWolf View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try using those links.
Good luck!!

Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,987 times
Default SSI vs Wefare and Renters

Social Security Income is not a housing program or
for people in drug programs. Many who rent rooms to others have more financial and social problems and so they rent rooms to others and are also getting public assistance and foodstamps. They get housing assistant from Department of Social Services or HRA. Many get it from drug programs and work off-the-books while getting wefare. People on SSI get 4x more than a wefare or DSS recipient, but it is a federal benefits and many have income tax credits and go back to work to until retirement and end up getting both SSI and SSDI. SSI is not given to people on drug programs. Many people in drug programs collect alot of rent money even those with alcohol problems. SSI is federal benefits for people who are disabled, blind, physically or mentally handicapped, not for people in MICA (Mental Illness Chemical Abusers), who also rent rooms to others while on welfare on other housing programs. Anyone with low income worker will get foodstamps. SSI or SSDI is not DSS, Welfare(OTDA) or HRA. Public assistant involves getting housing vouchers. Many get Section 8 or HASA or FEPPs.

It looks like people in drug programs get first priority over the disabled, because SSI do not get housing assistance from drug programs although some use to do get Section 8

Know the difference.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:42 PM

Shelters are not free like many people think. In NYCH people do not get the $500.00 left over if on SSI. It goes by living arrangements which includes heat, electricity, rental cost and how many bedrooms and people living in apartment. On SSI you may not get the maximum if in a public housing. Foodstamps is to balance your expenses.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:00 PM

SSI is mostly non-Spanish unless you are confusing it with wefare workers. Majority of SSI would not be immigrants being it is Federal benefits. Today majority of business store owners are either Spanish Americans or immigrants or migrants. The Spanish that are born Americans go to college and work. The other non-Spanish are into illegal rentals and make excuses and also work off-the-books while on public assistance like slumlords who you cannot count on and limit the safety, rights, and management of the buildings or houses he/she rents out to others which is mostly not liveable.

Many of these just rent in abandoned buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery