Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 AM

416 posts, read 248,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODISGOOD2US View Post
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my experience thus far and spread some positivity to encourage you all. Although the log numbers indeed have effect, first things first is to create your profile with housing connect. Make sure to apply to ALL and I mean ALL the lotteries because you simply never know. Double check the building's requirement before and answer the applications as honestly as possible. Do not worry if things changer within a year or so in your life because once they contact you about being qualified or disqualified ,they will give their reason (s) and you will be given a chance to send any proof of changes or report anything that's changed since you applied so they may review and proceed with an interview. Now I must say, in all things, pray and be thankful to the most high because he can turn a no to a yes. That's what I've experienced. Out of all the applications I've applied for within the last year, I have 26 log numbers however I've only been contacted by 1! They sent me a letter saying I was disqualified due to my lack of income (I didn't input it on my application) they gave me 2 weeks to report and prove any changes. I quickly contacted and told them I'd like them to review my new information, I faxed in my income documentation and they decided to review it. I never heard a peek from them until after a month a half of me staying on top of them to see if they've done anything they said they would. Finally after calling numerous times, my review was approved for an interview. They said they'd send me an email of all the documents I may need to bring into the interview, they never sent any email but I used my common sense and went overly prepared with anything I may have needed for my situation. The interview went well. I was calm, laid back, and answered only the questions she asked me, made eye contact ,smiled and kept it simple , classy, intellectual with a bit of my personality to be able to laugh and converse about other things to loosen things up a little bit. Her aura and vibe was like mine, positive, straight forward , professional with a bit of humour as well. She was happy to see I came prepared regardless of the lack of communication. They love to see your attentiveness, they also screen to see if you're the type of tenant they would want in their building nevertheless the community. There are preferences which help such as you living within the community board or zip code, if you work for the city/state such as healthcare, bank,library etc. They will check your credit so make sure you're good with that or at least building your credit, make sure you don't have any public record on your credit report and if you do, as long as it's less than $2,000 don't panic. If you have had any arrests before , make sure you have a copy of your disposition just in case that comes up, you'll be ready to prove your past issue and it won't stop the process if it has nothing to do with housing so don't panic. We went over some paperwork and signing. She gave me a estimate of my portion of my rent and told me what I'm solely responsible for, basically anything else that wouldn't be covered in rent such as electricity etc. I agreed to my portion, I viewed 2 units that I fell in love with , the more spacious or better one in my opinion that I had wanted and chosen didn't fall through because someone's application for it went through so I took the other one, after all I did love both units and I already believe God is letting things happen in his will so I thank him every step of the way. She called me to let me know the application for my unit went through so everything is a go. They accept subsidies and vouchers as well by the way. I am ready to move my child and I into our new home and take great care of it. After all the pain I've endured iny life, God opened opportunities for us to be able, stable and willing and motivated to achieve and succeeded. Keep in mind, only 1 lottery contacted me, originally telling me no I don't qualify. Reading is fun for the mental is what I tell my child. Reading is "Fund"a mental is what I remind myself. Be rich in your mind, heart ,soul, body and spirit so be careful what you feed into these essentials that make you who you are. Stay positive ,stay focused , do good to others, be in tune with yourself and children if you have any, be in tune with the world. You are, will be and stay blessed. Spreading hope and blessings faithfully, J.D. God bless and fight for what you want and need, even if they say no, try your best until they say YES! GOD BLESS YOU ALL. AMEN.
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 44,972 times
I got chosen for a midtown lottery, log number in the 11,000. I filled out the paper work, which required 6 consecutive pay stubs, 2015 taxes, landlord verification, asset verification, and income verification filled out by job. I decided to stop by in person to deliver this information.

1. I recently took a different position which fits the income bracket of what I'm making currently. Some of my pay stubs don't reflect this, but my current one does. Will that be an issue?

2. How do assets come into play? Are they adding your entire bank account to your annual income? I've seen that it is 2% of your savings, also have seen that it is 2% over 5,000 of savings.

3. What more can I do to increase my chances at this point?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 13,210 times
What if your log number is 22 thousand and something???is that good or bad?

Old 07-22-2016, 01:09 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,064,486 times
Quote:
Its by chance. She's a nurse so she has the municipal preference and perhaps the community board preference as well.
Do you think that log numbers are very high because people from outside of NYC apply as well?

Also, I entered my income wrong on one of the older lotteries, which is still on, "Tenant Selection in Progress." My log number is only 9xx. I was wondering, based on your experience, maybe I may get a letter that I'm rejected and I can then take the time to make the corrections and get a chance?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:09 PM

8 posts, read 23,531 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my experience thus far and spread some positivity to encourage you all. Although the log numbers indeed have effect, first things first is to create your profile with housing connect. Make sure to apply to ALL and I mean ALL the lotteries because you simply never know. Double check the building's requirement before and answer the applications as honestly as possible. Do not worry if things changer within a year or so in your life because once they contact you about being qualified or disqualified ,they will give their reason (s) and you will be given a chance to send any proof of changes or report anything that's changed since you applied so they may review and proceed with an interview. Now I must say, in all things, pray and be thankful to the most high because he can turn a no to a yes. That's what I've experienced. Out of all the applications I've applied for within the last year, I have 26 log numbers however I've only been contacted by 1! They sent me a letter saying I was disqualified due to my lack of income (I didn't input it on my application) they gave me 2 weeks to report and prove any changes. I quickly contacted and told them I'd like them to review my new information, I faxed in my income documentation and they decided to review it. I never heard a peek from them until after a month a half of me staying on top of them to see if they've done anything they said they would. Finally after calling numerous times, my review was approved for an interview. They said they'd send me an email of all the documents I may need to bring into the interview, they never sent any email but I used my common sense and went overly prepared with anything I may have needed for my situation. The interview went well. I was calm, laid back, and answered only the questions she asked me, made eye contact ,smiled and kept it simple , classy, intellectual with a bit of my personality to be able to laugh and converse about other things to loosen things up a little bit. Her aura and vibe was like mine, positive, straight forward , professional with a bit of humour as well. She was happy to see I came prepared regardless of the lack of communication. They love to see your attentiveness, they also screen to see if you're the type of tenant they would want in their building nevertheless the community. There are preferences which help such as you living within the community board or zip code, if you work for the city/state such as healthcare, bank,library etc. They will check your credit so make sure you're good with that or at least building your credit, make sure you don't have any public record on your credit report and if you do, as long as it's less than $2,000 don't panic. If you have had any arrests before , make sure you have a copy of your disposition just in case that comes up, you'll be ready to prove your past issue and it won't stop the process if it has nothing to do with housing so don't panic. We went over some paperwork and signing. She gave me a estimate of my portion of my rent and told me what I'm solely responsible for, basically anything else that wouldn't be covered in rent such as electricity etc. I agreed to my portion, I viewed 2 units that I fell in love with , the more spacious or better one in my opinion that I had wanted and chosen didn't fall through because someone's application for it went through so I took the other one, after all I did love both units and I already believe God is letting things happen in his will so I thank him every step of the way. She called me to let me know the application for my unit went through so everything is a go. They accept subsidies and vouchers as well by the way. I am ready to move my child and I into our new home and take great care of it. After all the pain I've endured iny life, God opened opportunities for us to be able, stable and willing and motivated to achieve and succeeded. Keep in mind, only 1 lottery contacted me, originally telling me no I don't qualify. Reading is fun for the mental is what I tell my child. Reading is "Fund"a mental is what I remind myself. Be rich in your mind, heart ,soul, body and spirit so be careful what you feed into these essentials that make you who you are. Stay positive ,stay focused , do good to others, be in tune with yourself and children if you have any, be in tune with the world. You are, will be and stay blessed. Spreading hope and blessings faithfully, J.D. God bless and fight for what you want and need, even if they say no, try your best until they say YES! GOD BLESS YOU ALL. AMEN.
If you have a Public Record of more than $2k, are the chances of getting approved not likely?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:53 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,617,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Do you think that log numbers are very high because people from outside of NYC apply as well?

Also, I entered my income wrong on one of the older lotteries, which is still on, "Tenant Selection in Progress." My log number is only 9xx. I was wondering, based on your experience, maybe I may get a letter that I'm rejected and I can then take the time to make the corrections and get a chance?
You may get a letter saying that your income is over or under and be given the opportunity to appeal. That's what happened to my friend.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 25,702 times
Sorry but I have to disagree. Not everyone hears back.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 25,702 times
Smile Don't sweat the small stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaniquaharley1234 View Post
What if your log number is 22 thousand and something???is that good or bad?
Hi Shaniquaharley

The log numbers are for identification. I just got a lottery letter & my log number is in the 30,000's. Remember it's a Lottery not first come first served.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:46 PM

260 posts, read 333,348 times
My log number is 10325, I was emailed to come in for a interview for oct 17. I went and bought every document asked. My question is my number is super high do you think I have a chance of getting a unit? I meet the income requirements for the 1 bed room I'm going for

Old 10-24-2016, 05:00 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,617,231 times
Once they call you in, yes, your chances are very good. That usually means they have an apartment for you. Of course you must meet the income requirements, etc.

Once in a while you'll hear of people who get called in, submit their documents, and don't hear anything back, but I think these are lotteries that are not well run.

Sometimes people with high numbers who get called in are members of preference groups. Are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery