Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 08:46 AM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times

Advertisements

Wow, that sounds discouraging, but I think you're dealing with it very smartly!

My daughter had a different experience. She is moving into Penn South, which is not a ML but is similar. I was surprised that PS has a restoration team that works on all the vacancies. The wood parquet floors were freshly sanded and stained, the kitchen cabinets (the original wood ones from 1963) had been refinished, the bathroom had been retiled, and the walls painted and new baseboard molding installed. She was very pleased by the condition of the apartment.

She did have to buy a stove and fridge, and the kitchen floor was bare concrete, so she's putting down sheet vinyl.

But the cost of her apartment is over $100,000, which is a lot more expensive that some MLs. Plus she was charged $900 for the paint job. But as you say, it's hard to get renovations done nowadays, so she was glad not to have to do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 01:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,642,464 times
@ LeoDel_I, The scenario of taking the unit then applying to switch to another unit, subject to availability, should be considered. Earlier posts mentioned it.

Considering you might be able to switch to a better unit after living there for some proscribed amount of time.
Getting into a Mitchell-Lama building is advantageous. For example, if your family got larger you might become eligible to move to a large unit, subject to availability, at an attractive cost; likewise moving to a smaller less expensive unit.

What would your have to spend additional to bring it up to your own minimum standards? That is a good place to start.

How much money per year would you save by living in the Mitchell-Lama?

You would gain massive protection against rising housing costs by moving into a Mitchell-Lama. This might allow you to save money to buy better housing later.

I am clueless as to whether or not renovation costs could be tax deductible, under what circumstances.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:47 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Here is an easy math way of thinking about it. If you spend $12K to renovate its a bit like adding $1K per month to your monthly fees if you only stay for one year. (Putting aside any finance charges) What does the first year housing costs look like then? Is it still competitive with other options? What about at $24K?

Of course the longer you stay in the unit the more value you get for your money spent on renovations.

A good feature is you are not locked into a lease. You you are ready to sell you do that in your own time.

The are rules that allow children and other family members to assume occupancy of a Mitchel-Lama. It’s possible that money spent on renovations might have value to your family for many years depending on the circumstances.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:26 PM

108 posts, read 103,608 times
Purchased my Mitchell Lama for 30k, spent 12k on Reno. The math added up.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:40 AM

150 posts, read 83,134 times
In theory, the coop does not pay for any of the restoration costs; either the outgoing or incoming right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Wow, that sounds discouraging, but I think you're dealing with it very smartly!

My daughter had a different experience. She is moving into Penn South, which is not a ML but is similar. I was surprised that PS has a restoration team that works on all the vacancies. The wood parquet floors were freshly sanded and stained, the kitchen cabinets (the original wood ones from 1963) had been refinished, the bathroom had been retiled, and the walls painted and new baseboard molding installed. She was very pleased by the condition of the apartment.

She did have to buy a stove and fridge, and the kitchen floor was bare concrete, so she's putting down sheet vinyl.

But the cost of her apartment is over $100,000, which is a lot more expensive that some MLs. Plus she was charged $900 for the paint job. But as you say, it's hard to get renovations done nowadays, so she was glad not to have to do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery