Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 04:08 PM

46 posts, read 70,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
I think the point is that household size and income don't matter once you've moved in for the purposes of staying in compliance with the government program (you just recertify as a formality), but there will be separate occupancy rules for the private building itself that you cannot violate. So, this is super hypothetical atm haha, but potentially a boyfriend could move in with me as long as that wasn't against the BUILDING rules, cuz I'm fine as far as NYCHDC and HUD and such are concerned...

I think.
Bottom line - if you're one of the Low income occupants, you have to be super careful about who stays over at your place, and you will have to certify every time your lease is up. If you do start earning more money then what you were initially allowed to make to get in, then you're kicked out - simple as that.

However, if you're in one of the moderate income priced units, regardless of which price point of moderate (low or high), you have a lot more liberties, and never have to certify again as long as you don't want to officially add someone to your lease or move to a smaller/bigger apt. Other than that, you're allowed to add gf's/bf's/partners/whatever to your apt so they can stay with you, without adding them to the lease...you can also have someone stay with you without adding them but they must vacate your apt for one day out of the month and then can come back and stay with you the following month and repeat the process again.

That's all there is to it.

What I'm curious about, is let's say you travel for work and are in a moderate priced category apt (think someone brought this up already), and your apt is empty for a period of time (a day/week/month...) are you allowed to sublease for that time? Use services like airbnb to temporarily fill your apt while away?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:08 PM

69 posts, read 108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Thanks for sharing your floor plan! The one they gave me didn't have the square footage mentioned.

I'm also on a high floor in the Commons, would you mind sharing when they said your move in date is? They told me beginning of December.

They offered me two floor plans, I picked the one I liked best and they gave me a copy of the floor plan and said the apartment was mine, and at this point all I had to do was wait to get a preview of the apartment in late November. Didn't have me sign anything after the initial paperwork. And nothing to sign after I picked the layout, just a verbal confirmation.

Can you share your step by step process from the point when you came in to meet with them? Just curious if you had a similar experience.
Our move in date is December 18th.

I had posted this a month ago or so:

Here is our time table:
1. We were first contacted on July 7th asking for all of our paperwork (tax returns, pay stubs, letter of employment, w2s, credit authorization, id.)
2. We emailed everything on July 9th.
3. Less than a week later we received a phone call from our listing agent (who is awesome btw!) confirming that we were pre-approved and could come in for an interview/ see units. We had to bring additional paperwork (assets etc...)
4. We went in for our "interview" on July 18th. Upon arriving we had more applications to fill out. We met with our listing agent who basically told us that we were already selected and they would like to offer us an apartment in Commons. He presented two floor plans preselected for us to choose from. Since we will be on a higher floor (32), our exact unit won't be ready for a few months so we toured the model unit on the 6th floor. Our listing agent said, once the unit is complete we can view it prior to move in.
I recorded a quick video of the 1 bedroom model unit: [vimeo]134237446[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/134237446
5. Now we wait. We will not get our lease until the unit is complete. At that point HPSL will need updated finances to make sure our income hasn't changed. Once we clear that step, we will move in mid-December!

Here are some observations:
1. The apartments look much larger in person than in the photos will you find online (Tour Hunters Point South's Amenity-Packed Affordable Rentals - Renters Week 2015 - Curbed NY)
2. The finishes are incredible, high end and very stylish.
3. Keep in mind, the layouts you'll find online are samples. Not all apartments are the same. You might view one place with a slightly larger kitchen or living room. It all depends where in the building it is located.
4. We met other people who were signing their leases for lower floors. So people are definitely moving into the building.
5. The amenities fee is super cheap $200/year!!

Advice:
1. While it's a lot of paperwork, it's not THAT much. The payoff is completely worth it! Get your things organized and sent to your listing agent ASAP. Don't stall. We got our stuff sent in 2 days after we were emailed.
2. Be 100% truthful. Everything is looked into and double checked. You will only ruin your chances if you lie about your finances.
3. Be patient. We decided to wait for a later move in date because we wanted to be on a higher floor.
4. If you are teetering between two income brackets, suck it up and go with the higher bracket. Especially if you think you'll be making more money in the near future. It would be such a shame to get to your pre-move in financial check only to be denied because your income went up by $500! It totally happens.

We feel so incredibly fortunate and lucky to have made it this far. I wish everyone the best of luck! I'm more than glad to answer any other questions about our process. I hope this post helps and I hope to see you in the winter

Last edited by aml1026; 08-18-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM

163 posts, read 271,641 times
Quote:
Bottom line - if you're one of the Low income occupants, you have to be super careful about who stays over at your place, and you will have to certify every time your lease is up. If you do start earning more money then what you were initially allowed to make to get in, then you're kicked out - simple as that.

However, if you're in one of the moderate income priced units, regardless of which price point of moderate (low or high), you have a lot more liberties, and never have to certify again as long as you don't want to officially add someone to your lease or move to a smaller/bigger apt. Other than that, you're allowed to add gf's/bf's/partners/whatever to your apt so they can stay with you, without adding them to the lease...you can also have someone stay with you without adding them but they must vacate your apt for one day out of the month and then can come back and stay with you the following month and repeat the process again.

What I'm curious about, is let's say you travel for work and are in a moderate priced category apt (think someone brought this up already), and your apt is empty for a period of time (a day/week/month...) are you allowed to sublease for that time? Use services like airbnb to temporarily fill your apt while away?
I'm 99% certain you do not get kicked out for making too much money even if you are low income. That's the whole point. The question we were debating is whether you can add to your household as low income, and I am guessing that you can as long as they don't add on to the lease and as long as they abide by the Hunters Point rules, i.e. this vacating for a day thing. The low income recertifications are not reevaluations. It's just a legal requirement. There are lawmakers who would like them to be reevaluations, but they are not.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 32,044 times
Does anyone have any thoughts on what log # is currently being contacted (both in the low and moderate income categories) just as a general gauge for August. My leasing agent said she was hoping I'd be up soon, but I'm curious if anyone can get a sense of this.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:23 PM

#90 and #155 have selected apartments for low income, no pref. I'm the next highest low income, no pref that I know of on this forum, quite a bit higher though at #2,100. I haven't gotten to apartment selection yet and was warned that when I get to that phase, the move-in could be as late as December.

Moderate income they are significantly higher and seem to only have the higher-priced tiers available usually, sorry I haven't paid as close attention to tracking that group...

Old 08-18-2015, 04:27 PM

They've already gone a lot higher in the preference categories, but they have gone back to the low numbers for no preference. The only low incomes here higher than me so far have had preferences, one was 13,000ish.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM

136 posts, read 217,669 times
Default income guidelines

I haven't been following up to date comments but I have yet to clarify what happens if the income increases slightly during the year for low income preference? When exactly does HPS recertify after or during the lease? I also heard that income changes can't get you kicked out and there is a certain percentage by how much the rent can increase to accommodate new income changes. Its good to know concrete and accurate info around this income debate. Thxs.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 30,183 times
I think I may be the highest log number reached without a preference. I have received an email, letter, and phone call requesting the initial documents.

Log #; 52,XXX
Preference: None
Household size: 3
Layout: 2 bed 2 bath
Rent: $3,300
Income: moderate

We were told that is all they have left are the 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms. Also, we had, and I quote, "a very good chance of getting an apartment." Of course we have provided all the documents requested and hope to actually get placed. Presently living with a baby, dogs, wife, and myself in a one bedroom. Just waiting to see if we are approved and move on to the interview process.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 PM

76 posts, read 127,404 times
Default Crossing 2BR/2BA

I was finally able to see my apartment and I was absolutely blown away. It is incredible. I feel so fortunate and thankful. I'm including pictures below. There were many people seeing apartments in Crossing today, so move-ins on higher floors must be getting very close!

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-living-room-1.jpg

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-living-room-2.jpg

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-kitchen.jpg

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-bedroom-1.jpg

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-bedroom-2.jpg

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-bedroom-2a.jpg

Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-walk-closet.jpg

Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 PM

46 posts, read 65,080 times
Quote:

To your question the agent told me if lets you leave for a year for work or whatever you are can sublease but they do it for you. They choose the next person on the waiting list and offer them a 1 year lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.