Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,095,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
@StormGal,

I've gone to Inwood against my will to hang out with friends in their apartment. Low and behold I hear gun shots at the waning hours of the night. I come out, and drug dealers are in the lobby. I ask if they heard any sounds and replied it was firecrackers.

Firecrackers at 3am? Thanks, but no thanks Darnell. I do NOT believe it!!!! I know exactly what it was.
BRO! COME ON MAN! I’m sorry but I don’t believe you! Let someone else chime in cause I don’t have time for this BS. Now unless you’re talking about the 70s and 80s then I’m sorry. But nothing recent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM

243 posts, read 311,581 times
@StormGal,

You don't have to believe. We are just sharing life experiences.

I rolled my eyes and dismissed Darnell immediately. Glad he didn't say any dumb nonsense! I would have gone right inside, gotten my scarf, and put on my Vaseline so I could FIGHT him!

Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,095,260 times
Quote:
@StormGal,

You don't have to believe. We are just sharing life experiences.

I rolled my eyes and dismissed Darnell immediately. Glad he didn't say any dumb nonsense! I would have gone right inside, gotten my scarf, and put on my Vaseline so I could FIGHT him!
Who's Darnell?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,272,348 times
Quote:

The only safe places in Manhattan are 88th and Broadway and below. Anything higher is considered dangerous.
Do you even live here. What a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
BRO! COME ON MAN! I’m sorry but I don’t believe you! Let someone else chime in cause I don’t have time for this BS. Now unless you’re talking about the 70s and 80s then I’m sorry. But nothing recent
AlexaMatthews has no idea what they are talking about. It's comical!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 PM

72 posts, read 90,447 times
So I'm doing my deposit verification and I have two deposits from transferring funds from 2 checking accounts that I closed in 2017. I didn't disclose them on my application since they had been closed for months.... are they going to ask for further proof or verification from the bank? Or would I get rejected because I didn't disclose the accounts in my first round of paperwork?

I have over 50 deposits to verify and I'm wondering how much proof they need? Most of them are just friends paying me back for covering a bar tab or meal... Definitely don't have receipts for any of those.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM

59 posts, read 65,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
So I'm doing my deposit verification and I have two deposits from transferring funds from 2 checking accounts that I closed in 2017. I didn't disclose them on my application since they had been closed for months.... are they going to ask for further proof or verification from the bank? Or would I get rejected because I didn't disclose the accounts in my first round of paperwork?

I have over 50 deposits to verify and I'm wondering how much proof they need? Most of them are just friends paying me back for covering a bar tab or meal... Definitely don't have receipts for any of those.
You will need to verify all that you have mentioned. I’d get started with the two bank accounts.

This is why in lotteries it’s best to avoid disclosing bank statements in full.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:12 PM

72 posts, read 90,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstn28 View Post
You will need to verify all that you have mentioned. I’d get started with the two bank accounts.

This is why in lotteries it’s best to avoid disclosing bank statements in full.
I'll submit what I can right now since I only have a couple days left on my 5 day notice.... man I wish they didn't ask me for the full bank statements... also if they require receipts to verify every venmo/paypal transaction between I have between friends I might have to just give up on the lottery process.

Anyway when I get this notarized... what exactly are they notarizing? Do I need to write some sort of "i verify all this information is correct" statement and sign? I've never gotten anything notarized before so this all new to me.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:32 PM

4,806 posts, read 6,661,323 times
There is a lot of scrutiny to this process, designed to keep out those who don't qualify.

Your situation points out a good lesson for everyone entering a lottery: start simplifying your finances, so that when you get called, you have a better chance of actually getting an apartment.

IamWALRUS, you don't have to give up lotteries. You just have to start doing the following:

1. Have only paychecks going into your checking account.

2. Don't pay for group dinners and such and get reimbursed by people, even if you want to use your credit cards to rack up points.

3. Avoid cash income. If you get cash for gifts, odd jobs, etc., don't deposit the cash.

4. If you have a choice at work, avoid working overtime and pass up bonuses too.

5. If you have a big birthday or a graduation coming up, tell people not to give you checks. They can give you gift cards or buy you that new laptop you want.

Your goal is to have a very simple financial record, with no quirks or red flags.

Because these lotteries are taking so long nowadays, when you enter one, start cleaning up your checking and savings accounts, and in six months you'll be good to go.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 04-18-2018 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,469,561 times
They don't look at credit card statements, so you can pay for friends' meals and entertainment on those, and have them reimburse in cash, which you shouldn't deposit in your checking account. If you use a debit card, it will show up on your bank statement.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM

494 posts, read 561,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
I'll submit what I can right now since I only have a couple days left on my 5 day notice.....
Hi I was just wondering if you have heard anything back from them since asking for the 5 day notice?

I have called and they haven't responded and i keep checking my email for a rejection or another notice asking for more documentation but nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery