Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 PM

129 posts, read 270,734 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I been lurking the forum for quite a while. I decided to start a new post because I haven't seen much information about the Goddard building at the upper west side. I received a letter stating the wait list is +15 years and my waiting list # is 5xx. Is there anyone currently on that waiting list? Does it really takes that long?

Thanks for the help 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 PM

483 posts, read 692,636 times
I got on the list with a letter, but they/it didn't say the waiting time. I'm on the one-bedroom list, also in the 500s. Really it's almost criminal to take money from us at all with those odds, but for the Upper West Side I thought it was worth it, kind of like a retirement plan. Could be advantageous that far down the road even if you get into another Mitchell Lama in the city, which could up and leave the program. Are you a 1-bedroom person also? Did they dare to give the buy-in price in your letter (mine did not say)? I can't imagine it's much less than $70,000 but I was curious.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:56 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
I just looked and the waiting lists are still OPEN.

Why would they keep taking names with a 15 year waiting list? Bizarre.

Yeah,
Desirable places can take more than 15 years to get in. It's probably the best example of "advanced Planning" I can think of. Friend took 20 years for Penn South.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-15-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 PM

129 posts, read 270,734 times
Thanks for replying guys! Kefir King, I also didn't understand why keep it open if the wait is so long but since t's the Upper West Side and I grew up in the area I took my chances. They are very upfront about the 10 to 15 year wait before I paid the $200. I'm 31, no kids yet I figured I had nothing to lose by applying now. I don't remember the exact price, but you are right Misskittytalks, the letter doesn't have the price listed. I believe it is about that amount, $70,000 but I'm not sure. I just wanted to know if someone was call in before that time frame or after.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:14 PM

943 posts, read 4,261,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
Thanks for replying guys! Kefir King, I also didn't understand why keep it open if the wait is so long but since t's the Upper West Side and I grew up in the area I took my chances. They are very upfront about the 10 to 15 year wait before I paid the $200. I'm 31, no kids yet I figured I had nothing to lose by applying now. I don't remember the exact price, but you are right Misskittytalks, the letter doesn't have the price listed. I believe it is about that amount, $70,000 but I'm not sure. I just wanted to know if someone was call in before that time frame or after.
Its about the money Eli. It is only about 200 apartments. The wait is probably legitimately 10 years. Think about how much cash they make off the people who screw their credit up, no longer have interest, family composition changes, don't have buy in money etch when they call. Look at like the Nassau and Suffolk police tests.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
What is the process for getting on their waiting list?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:54 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
They DO by law have to give you back $150 of the $200 if you are disqualified for any reason or even just call them and tell them to take you off the list. Of course, you may have to make a fiss to get it. People are funny, when they have your money they like to keep it.
They get to keep the $50 for their trouble.

If you move on with the process, they charge more for credit checks and home visits, etc.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-16-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 PM

345 posts, read 854,906 times
That $200 fee is worth it for them, it's money in the bank.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:09 PM

345 posts, read 854,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They DO by law have to give you back $150 of the $200 if you are disqualified for any reason or even just call them and tell them to take you off the list. Of course, you may have to make a fiss to get it. People are funny, when they have your money they like to keep it.
They get to keep the $50 for their trouble.

If you move on with the process, they charge more for credit checks and home visits, etc.
I applied for Strykers bay. I had to get the Mitchell lama people involved just to get my money back. They claimed I wasn't on the list. I had copies of all my paperwork. They also wanted a copy of the cancelled check showing I paid. Finally, I got my money back.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 PM

483 posts, read 692,636 times
Elicamb, thanks, I think someone was saying it was $70,000 for the Mitchell-Lama HPD defined as "over by Lincoln Center", for which they ran the ad last spring; I thought it seemed logical that Goddard-Riverside (which in actuality, seems to be called "Goddard Towers" whenever it's called anything), would be a similar cost.

Kefir King, indeed, for the remainder of the process I think it's like an extra $250 (fees for criminal check; everyone's favorite entity LANDLORD GUARD; etc.). Though in some instances, it seems like it could be worth it just to get to see inside said apartments.

Coney, to get on the waiting list you send them a letter asking to be placed on it. include a self-addressed stamped envelope in the letter, they will send you an application.

jd10025, perhaps in order to avoid having your problem, the majority of Mitchell Lamas I applied to, are now asking for money orders instead of checks, which, if my experience is any guideline, means they aren't cashing the money orders until they actually have to do something, like run your credit check. I've been on several lists, some as long as spring of 2014, none of those money orders have been cashed (checked 'em all a month or so ago in a burst of organization). A couple I did send checks to, and those were cashed though it took a while, in one case almost 6 months. I do plan on monitoring them though, so thanks for the reminder that I should.

Last edited by misskittytalks; 04-16-2015 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery