Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 AM

8 posts, read 19,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscalepat View Post
In the original email there should be a telephone number you can call Winn residentia directly. I would call and email them to follow up. It's all about persistence when it comes to these types situations trust me it will pay off. Good luck my friend.

Thanks. We've called multiple times and emailed as well. We have only had luck getting them to respond when they sent the wrong email. That day we left voicemails and emails with 3 separate people. We are trying to tow the line between persistent and so annoying our file is "lost". Hoping we haven't crossed over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortgreene View Post
It's possible that they've signed leases for 50% of the units, but I really doubt it. I moved in at the beginning of June and there is only 1 other person moved in on my entire floor. I never see anybody else on the elevators, and have only met 3-4 other people in the entire building since I moved in. If I had to guess the building is still at least 90% vacant, if not more. Maybe more people will move in early July?

Doing some math- there are 200 units total. 100 set aside for CB2 residents, 10 for mobility impaired, 10 for municipal employees, 4 for visibility/hearing impaired and the remaining 76 units for everybody else not fitting into that category. There are a lot more "middle income" units than "low income" too. You probably have better odds of getting a lottery apartment if your income puts you in the "middle income" bracket.

There are also 50 market-rate units in the building. Streeteasy has only listed 28 of these market-rate rentals, and 15 of them have been rented. I feel like many of the units in the building are still under construction and some units are not ready for tenants yet.

Don't give up hope! I think they have lots of units left to fill.
Do you mind sharing what preference you are in the lottery?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 29,270 times
I Interviewed in jan for city point 7 dekalb tower 1 (i live in the same CB 2, mobility impaired low log # in the 200s)& thy said tht they were expecting me to be able to move in by feb 16''. 3wks after my interview, thy left a voicemail on my cell to call them, so thy cld tell me if i was approved or not for the apt. i left several voicemails & emails asking thm to let me know if i was accepted. All were ignored. In march I finally got in touch with NYC HUD (housing of urban development) & tht night i recieved my acceptance/approval letter frm winn residential for 7 dekalb/city point tower 1. the letter stated that my apt was still under construction and that it was awaiting its temporary occupancy certificate and that if i havent signed the lease within 6 months (6mths from the letter dated in march) i would have to reinterview again. months go by and I dont hear anything in regards to signing a lease/moving in.Ii leave messages/emails, no response. But then, by may they email me saying' tht there waiting for my lease/paperwork to be signed off by the top executives. Another month goes by and I still havent heard frm them, until the middle of june when they call me to tell me that i have to come in and REINTERVIEW b/c its almost 6mths from my acceptance letter, so my documents have expired(if i sign a lease soon it will almost be pass 6mths). Frustrating, bc I was told that they were just waiting on the executives to sign off on my paperwork/lease. But then, it seems frm this blog tht some lottery winners are already living there/and/or have already signed a lease to move in. If anyone has moved in already or has already signed a lease for 7 dekalb can you let me know when you interviewed, recieved your acceptance letter & signed the lease (and when it starts), or if you already moved in, when did you sign the lease and thn whn did u move in. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 9,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynmbs1106 View Post
Do you mind sharing what preference you are in the lottery?
I had a CB preference and a log number in the 20,000s- I can't remember the exact number. I thought the entire interview process was extremely disorganized. My first correspondence for the whole process was an email saying that I missed my interview and to pick a day to reschedule. I received no letter in the mail or anything. I didn't even know what the interview was for. I scheduled the interview in mid-April and had all the necessary paperwork. They said to wait a few weeks to hear back to see if I was approved. I received a phone call from them asking me to come look at an apartment later that week. When I went to see the apartment (I wasn't given a choice in apartments- I was only shown one unit), they told me on the spot that I was approved for the unit and had to sign a lease ASAP if I wanted it. I told them I needed a few days to decide and that I needed to give my current landlord 30 days notice (my old lease wasn't up until the end of the summer). I signed a lease the following week (late April). Total time between first correspondence and lease signing was 3 weeks. The lease that I signed said that it started May 1, which I told them was not ok because I needed 30 days to sort out my old lease. It ended up being fine, but was a pain to have to call management and sort everything out when they tried to charge me for the month of May, even though I moved in after the 1st of June.

Long story short, the interview was mid-April and I moved in early June (even though they wanted me to move in May 1). It seems like if the unit is ready to be occupied, they want people moving in ASAP. You should have no problem asking for 30 days notice from the day you find out you are approved to the time of move-in, but I doubt they will be more flexible than that. Make sure the date on your lease is that date you plan to move-in. Building management will start billing you for rent on the day indicated on your lease. The people who work for the broker who are present at lease signing do not seem to understand that. They will tell you that you have to put the date you sign your lease as the start day for the lease.

The building itself has been great so far. Very friendly tenants and doormen/porters. We had a few issues with some of the appliances when we first moved in, and everything was taken care of immediately. The building lobby is currently under construction, and only a few of the common spaces are open (the gym, and both roof decks). One of the roof decks has no furniture, and the indoor resident lounges, children's playroom, and media room are still under construction. It looks like the Target should be opening in the next month or so, with Century 21 and the other retail/food outlets to follow. Hopefully everything will be complete by the end of this year.

Also, if you are approved- there are no blinds/shades on any of the windows in any unit. When you see the unit ask to have blinds/curtains installed prior to move-in, or try to get it worked into your lease. I don't know if they will actually do it for the lottery apartments, but I know for a fact that they have done it for the market-rate tenants. The alternate is buying shades or roller blinds from Ikea/home depot and paying the building to install them (they will not let you install them yourself). They charge $40 per window in addition to the cost that you have to pay for the blinds themselves. It gets really bright in the morning and you'll need something, so make sure you take that cost into consideration.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Default city point tower 1 7 dekalb

thanks for the info. im still waiting on winn to sign my lease. im ready to move in!! if you can, post pics of kitchen, living rm/bathrm. do you know how much the gym$$ will costs us, im assuming its not free.i heared in a publicity article that some of the below market rate units wld be getting there own private terrace, like some of the market rate apartments. Did anyone else read the article. Did anyone look at the floor plans, theres a ''p'', O'', Q'' E, etc floor plan, some are bigger, more closets, etc some differences. the market rate 2 bedrms with private terrace were asking +5k per month.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,432 times
Hi everyone, new to the board but I just got accepted for an affordable studio at 7DeKalb. Very excited! Does anyone who has already moved in have pictures or a rough floorplan they'd be willing to share for the studio apartments. I believe mine will be one of the "A" apartments, although I forget which floor it will be exactly. It's very hard gauging the size from pictures.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:38 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,057,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_bk_bk View Post
Hi everyone, new to the board but I just got accepted for an affordable studio at 7DeKalb. Very excited! Does anyone who has already moved in have pictures or a rough floorplan they'd be willing to share for the studio apartments. I believe mine will be one of the "A" apartments, although I forget which floor it will be exactly. It's very hard gauging the size from pictures.
Congratulations, bk!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Default city point tower 1 7 dekalb housing lottery

congrats bk on your studio. The area is great. There going to start building a 75 story building next to 7 dekalb soon, will be the tallest building in downtown brooklyn next to 7 dekalb. there address will be 9 dekalb. im still waiting to sign my lease!! i dnt know why they havent had me sign the lease yet, its very frustrating. did u sign your lease yet or did you just recieve an acceptance letter frm Winn Res. Im getting a 1 bedroom, which I had asked for. i was interviewed early on. If anyone has pics of there actual studio or 1 bedrm/2bedroom pls post pics of the kitchen/living room, bathrm, & view please. We would all love to see how it turned out!!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM

6,695 posts, read 6,057,015 times
Oh gosh. I don't know if I'd be excited living next to construction noise. Will 9 Dekalb also be affordable? I can't imagine it will!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Wanted to give an update. We were accepted and moved in last week! The building seems good so far. They seem to be working constantly on finishing up the amenities. Hopefully then they will pay attention to basic things like vacuuming the hallways...

Our timeline was
May 9 - interview
June 30 - asked for more paperwork
July 14 - sent to HPD
July 21 - accepted
July 29 - lease signed

We love our place though it was a little confusing at lease signing and the one we were told we were getting changed but only to a different floor...though pretty sure the first one had a terrace. Either way grateful to have made it through this crazy process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery