Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 PM

77 posts, read 85,374 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends, Does anybody receive any news from VIA57. It has been quite for me. I wonder are they moving forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 PM

91 posts, read 177,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_perry View Post
can someone provide me with the email of someone who deals with the affordable housing lottery at VIA? I've tried calling different numbers on several occasions but no one picks up
Did they ever contact you? You cant just call them, once you "win" the lottery they will contact you , if you havent been contact since you submitted your application that means you did not win.

Since it was a paper application, the only way to know your log number is when you win and you have been contact by them,

Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratapVIA57 View Post
Hello Friends, Does anybody receive any news from VIA57. It has been quite for me. I wonder are they moving forward?
I just got a phone call saying that I was put on a wait list for 2bd, this is strange, I declined 1bd told them to withdraw my application and never knew I will put on a 2bd wait list. I know that no one will ever move out of 2bd affordable housing but oh well...

Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 AM

77 posts, read 85,374 times
Thank you hlch. It has been so frustrating for me here. Haven't heard anything. I am in 3XXX, thinking how long does it take for them to get to this number. Like a year??? Does anybody know? Last time I heard it was July last year.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlch View Post
I just got a phone call saying that I was put on a wait list for 2bd, this is strange, I declined 1bd told them to withdraw my application and never knew I will put on a 2bd wait list. I know that no one will ever move out of 2bd affordable housing but oh well...
Why did you turn down the 1 bedroom? You will likely be wait listed for years... People are very selfish in the affordable housing world. Whether in Nycha, a low income building or 80/20, once their kids move out and figuring out how to downgrade to a smaller apt, they keep the large one just for them. Which prevents a family with children being able to get an apartment.
Sure there are extreme cases where someone moved out in a year but don't count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratapVIA57 View Post
Thank you hlch. It has been so frustrating for me here. Haven't heard anything. I am in 3XXX, thinking how long does it take for them to get to this number. Like a year??? Does anybody know? Last time I heard it was July last year.
This company is very corrupt. You likely haven't heard from them as they plan to waitlist you.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why did you turn down the 1 bedroom? You will likely be wait listed for years... People are very selfish in the affordable housing world. Whether in Nycha, a low income building or 80/20, once their kids move out and figuring out how to downgrade to a smaller apt, they keep the large one just for them. Which prevents a family with children being able to get an apartment.
Sure there are extreme cases where someone moved out in a year but don't count on it.

This company is very corrupt. You likely haven't heard from them as they plan to waitlist you.

I turned down 1bd because that Im a single mom to a 6 years old girl, I currently live in a 1bd rent stabilized and not interested to move to another 1bd just because the building is fancy.
Im in a process for another building so I hope for the best. They told me that once a unit will be available I will be the first to move, which mean never...

I dont think they are corrupt, I just think they are overwhelmed with applications/paper work and buildings to deal with . I find it stupid that they keep sending emails to so many people telling them they are "randomly selected" and when the time come they just tell them sorry we do not have any more units available.
I wish I could complain with the city but I cannot. The whole process was very unprofessional but they did offer me a 1bd which was "nice" of them.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlch View Post
I dont think they are corrupt, I just think they are overwhelmed with applications/paper work and buildings to deal with .
No they are. I as well as others have had things that happened. They are breaking the rules left and right but people don't report them do to be afraid cause they think it will effect them getting an apt.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 PM

12 posts, read 26,869 times
Hi all,

I just got a phone call today to schedule an interview. But I told them that my parents are not in United States. The officer try to reach her supervisor, but nobody answer her. So she just ask me to send updated information to her. Does anyone have similar problem? Will they reschedule my interview or they just switch to other applicants? So worry about it now. Anyone please give me some ideas. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Are you saying that you applied with your parents and now your parents have moved out of the country and no longer want to live with you?

If that's the case, the rules say you are not allowed to change your family composition except for marriage, divorce, legal separation, death, birth, adoption, etc. So you probably won't qualify for this lottery any longer, sad to say.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:01 AM

46 posts, read 63,875 times
Tough position to be in. Do your parents live in another country or just traveling? In order to qualify, they need to be NYC residents with PROOF of residency and be present during the interview. I went to an interview and overheard a woman and her parents having an issue because they didn't have proof of residency or dependency. They didn't have bank accounts, parents weren't on the lease, and the woman claimed to take care of them but didn't file it on her taxes, etc. I'm not sure of the outcome, but I'm certain they were immigrants, so it must be suspicious to the marketing agent when applicants don't have a legitimate paper trail showing they're active memebers of the NYC community and even more suspicious when they're out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery