Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 10:01 PM

49 posts, read 62,793 times

Advertisements

Also just got invited. log number in the 700's. Newbie here!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Does anybody have info on where the interviews are held? Same building?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
Just got notified by email that I've been selected to interview (18XX log).... not sure if I should proceed. The big thing is I won't have access to my birth certificate until a week after the interview. And the other thing I'm not sure what AMI I'll fall into. Tax returns from last year would indicate I'm in the 90% AMI, but I received a bit of a raise and a switch to a freelance position so I'm not sure how much money I made in 2017. Would they just categorize me based on my 2016 tax return or is it some sort of composite calculation made from my recent paystubs and how much money they think I'll make in 2018 or made in 2017?

Also there's only a handful of studio/1bd units left and I could barely afford the $1448 studio in the 90% AMI category (there's 1 left) especially when factoring in my student loans (about $750 on top of my current $850 rent).... then again I've applied to every single lottery i've qualified for in the last 4 years and this is the first time I've heard back from any of them.

Is it worth it to go forward with this? If I could somehow stall for a week to get my birth certificate I would just as a learning experience at the very least.
Just proceed anyway. If your monthly debt to income ratio is more than 50%, (that's factoring in the new rent, not what you're paying now), you will be rejected.

So that will be 1448 (studio) +750 or 2198 in monthly debt. Calculate what you make a month, and if your debt load is less than or equal to 50%, you're out.

$60,120 (The highest of 90% AMI) divided by 12 (or monthly income) = $5,010 (monthly)

Your debt to income ratio is: 2198/5010 = 43%. Your application, based on the criteria you have provided will not be rejected if you make the highest of 90% AMI and you have no other debt except the student loans you've mentioned.

To answer your other question, they take your IRS statements, paystubs and your bank statements, and compare them. The highest of the three will be your income. The catch is that if your earned income does not match your IRS statements, you will be rejected. All of your income should be reported. If there is one digit that does not match from your W2's and your earned income, you will be rejected.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:48 PM

72 posts, read 89,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Just proceed anyway. If your monthly debt to income ratio is more than 50%, (that's factoring in the new rent, not what you're paying now), you will be rejected.

So that will be 1448 (studio) +750 or 2198 in monthly debt. Calculate what you make a month, and if your debt load is less than or equal to 50%, you're out.

$60,120 (The highest of 90% AMI) divided by 12 (or monthly income) = $5,010 (monthly)

Your debt to income ratio is: 2198/5010 = 43%. Your application, based on the criteria you have provided will not be rejected if you make the highest of 90% AMI and you have no other debt except the student loans you've mentioned.

To answer your other question, they take your IRS statements, paystubs and your bank statements, and compare them. The highest of the three will be your income. The catch is that if your earned income does not match your IRS statements, you will be rejected. All of your income should be reported. If there is one digit that does not match from your W2's and your earned income, you will be rejected.
Damn... I’m technically “freelance” at my current job with a day rate of $275. If I worked M-F every week that would be $71.5k a year and if they calculate it like that that would push me into 110% AMI and out of my budget. But everyday I don’t work I don’t get paid. So over Christmas break I didn’t get paid at all... wonder how that would be calculated.

Also I’ll received a couple 1099’s last year for sub $300 checking account bonuses I’ll have to dig up to be safe... and I also pay for almost everything with credit cards but pay off the balances off in full. Would they take that debt load into consideration even if no balances are carried?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
Damn... I’m technically “freelance†at my current job with a day rate of $275. If I worked M-F every week that would be $71.5k a year and if they calculate it like that that would push me into 110% AMI and out of my budget. But everyday I don’t work I don’t get paid. So over Christmas break I didn’t get paid at all... wonder how that would be calculated.

Also I’ll received a couple 1099’s last year for sub $300 checking account bonuses I’ll have to dig up to be safe... and I also pay for almost everything with credit cards but pay off the balances off in full. Would they take that debt load into consideration even if no balances are carried?
110%AMI still qualifies, but instead of paying 1,148 for a studio, you'll pay 1,782.

The answer to your debt load question, they just go by what your credit report reads and whatever debt load is on there, plus the new rent.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM

72 posts, read 89,779 times
Thanks for the clarification. If they go by my credit report I should be good to go, but if they categorize me as 110% AMI I wouldn't be able to afford the apartment without nearly starving myself while putting my student loans on forbearance.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM

18 posts, read 26,010 times
Hi, I'm new here and have been skimming through the forum. Alot of great info. I got an interview scheduled for via West 57 next week and I know that I definitely meet the income guidelines but my credit score isn't the best. I'm currently at 580 and have seen an article about a guy who applied the first time round to via 57 being rejected due to a 579 credit score and their minimum accepted is supposedly at 600. Can anyone shine some light on this? or any advice?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Hi spidey! I agree on the above!-- TONS of great info here everyone-- really appreciate the insight and the community. Looks like the last three of us have gotten bunched together into this new round. Haven't had any confirmation after scheduling the interview though. That calendar is a little strange. I'm assuming they will email us confirmations with an address as to where to go?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 AM

33 posts, read 43,691 times
Yea an email will follow with address and confirmation.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 AM

18 posts, read 26,010 times
Yes, actually i thought it was spam and the link kind of scared me. So i called and emailed management. Didn't receive a response until last night. And said they will send confirmation on time and location. But i scheduled my interview for Monday so i'm just waiting because i dont want to take off from work until I receive an actual date and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery