Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 13,456 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted into Atlantic Terminal II for a studio apartment. I put my name on the waiting list less than a year ago and didn't expect to be called for some time, but I received a letter that I had been selected about seven months into the process.

Does anyone know anything about the Atlantic Terminal II Mitchell Lama? (I've found info about other Mitchell Lamas on this forum, but nothing about this particular one.) In order to move, I'd have to break my lease. I currently live in a great apartment, but my rent won't stay the same forever - the area is increasing rapidly in costs. The Mitchell Lama seems to be a way to stay in NYC for a longer period of time, but I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice (whatever that choice ends up being).

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I was surprised I was called so quickly, as I thought ML waiting lists could take years. Is there something that isn't desirable about this particular one? (I've walked past the area and it seems perfectly fine to me.)

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 05:00 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSixteen View Post
I was recently accepted into Atlantic Terminal II for a studio apartment. I put my name on the waiting list less than a year ago and didn't expect to be called for some time, but I received a letter that I had been selected about seven months into the process.

Does anyone know anything about the Atlantic Terminal II Mitchell Lama? (I've found info about other Mitchell Lamas on this forum, but nothing about this particular one.) In order to move, I'd have to break my lease. I currently live in a great apartment, but my rent won't stay the same forever - the area is increasing rapidly in costs. The Mitchell Lama seems to be a way to stay in NYC for a longer period of time, but I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice (whatever that choice ends up being).

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I was surprised I was called so quickly, as I thought ML waiting lists could take years. Is there something that isn't desirable about this particular one? (I've walked past the area and it seems perfectly fine to me.)

Thanks for your time!
Not to sure either but if the area suites you and the price is right then I'd say take it. I mean I'm assuming its by barclays and that area is changing for the better by the minute . I'd say take it! Btw is that specific ML a rental or co op.. Again I'll assume a rental because if it were a co-op I dont think it would even be a choice!

Old 10-17-2015, 06:00 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
These are coops to buy, right?

The area is becoming more congested and crowded, that's a consideration. I don't know if it's an "improvement" per se...

Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Sorry, I don't know anything about his building, but here are two things you can try.

You can ask the building management if there is a way to stay on the list but be "inactive" for a period of time if you're not ready to move right away. Many waiting lists offer this.

Also, maybe you could request some specific apartment, like one with a particular view or floor plan, that would have the side effect of increasing your wait.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
This building is the most affordable option if you want to live in a good area of Brooklyn. I put my name on the list early last year, but ended up in a different mitchell lama. I don't know what the Equity/Carrying Charge -- My bet is go for it really good affordable housing opportunity in a wonderfully central neighborhood.

After I had already moved, I got offered an apartment in one of the two Atlantic Terminal mitchell lama coops, I forgot if it was 1 or 2, but I turned it down because I had just moved and the carrying charge was a lot. It was still very good for the neighborhood, but more than my mitchell lama which is in a less desirable neighborhood. I was offered a 1bedroom for $7000 equity and $1100 carrying charge.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 28,294 times
Also been wondering about the Atlantic Terminal Coops. Anyone ever live there? Definitely a good location, but given how available they seem to be compared to other Mitchell-Lama coops, I wonder how nice they are inside.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:58 PM

292 posts, read 702,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSixteen View Post

Thanks for your time!

I am on the list too! Is that 475 Carlton Avenue? I choose a studio as well only because I heard it was a shorter wait time but it's going to be me and my son. The space might be tight but hey...lol. I can't be picky.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 AM

72 posts, read 260,848 times
I applied to Atlantic Terminal 1 and thinking about applying to Atlantic Terminal 2 but I have no idea what these apartments look like. I'm very curious to know the square footage at least. I called management and they said they have no clue (??). I was told the wait for a studio or 1 bdrm at AT1 is 1.5-2 years which will probably be shorter in reality. AT2 said a studio is 2 yrs and a 1 bdrm is 6 yrs. But like other people have commented, I am also concerned about why the wait here is shorter than other Mitchell Lamas. Is something wrong with these apartments? I don't know anyone that lives in either building. I also sent in an application to Ryerson Towers on Lafayette Ave which is only 10 min away from Atlantic Terminal and their wait is 7-8 years and costs $21-30K for a 1 bdrm. That building is my first choice but I need something quicker while I wait for Ryerson to come through.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:33 PM

64 posts, read 176,652 times
Doesn't seem like a long wait, kind of surprised. I always see the development on "waiting list open" section of the mitchell lama list and assumed it was outdated info, or a mistake. I thought Atlantic Terminal I (the white building) was a NYCHA building and Terminal II was ML. I drove by there last night, I am definitely going to apply soon if the wait is 2-6 years

Old 01-05-2016, 04:59 PM

483 posts, read 691,400 times
I should think stuff like this is part of the issue:

Atlantic Terminal: Transportation Hub or Crime Hub? | Observer

though then there's also this lickety split example of gentrification:

Crime Drops at Atlantic Center Mall, Police Say - Park Slope - DNAinfo.com New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery