Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:14 PM

178 posts, read 230,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
It's a cooperative housing project, it's not public housing in the sense that it is owned by the government, although is it federally subsidized. When I say America's largest project, I mean it is just that; it's the largest federally subsidized apartment complex in the nation.

At Boogeydowndweller if you dont mind me asking how long have you ben waiting to move into co-op? On you application did you specify a section your would like to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 03:56 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,198,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
At Boogeydowndweller if you dont mind me asking how long have you ben waiting to move into co-op? On you application did you specify a section your would like to live in?
I'm on the 1 bedroom list, but the list moves pretty quick I been on two months and I already jumped down almost 100 spots. The people in the management office told me it'd be about a year. You can check your spot here.

Public Automated Waiting List Access

Also I saw you asked about owning property, and the answer is yes you can own property but the co-op city apartment needs to be listed as your primary residence under mitchell lama law. I had a bunch of questions so I just called up the Riverbay Sales office, they'll give you the best answers.

I also put all sections because I figure it will take alot longer if you put select sections. If you look at the beginning of the waiting list there are people who've been on for like two years because they want say a townhouse apartment in Section 1 only. That really limits the amount of apartments you're eligible for. What I did do though that they said wouldn't have that much of an effect because apartments tend to empty equally on the higher and lower floors, was request a higher floor apartment. I'd like my balcony to be high up and have a view.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:16 PM

Oh okay yes I've heard that 1 bedrooms open up faster. I just need a sizeable place for me to save more money then move my family to a place with a better school district. I have babies so in a couple of years they would be starting school.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM

I don't have kids, but I'm actually interested in co-op city because we're thinking of having kids soon and where I'm at now the neighborhood isn't great for raising kids, or great in general. The apartment I applied for in co-op city is a 1.5 bedroom so that if I want to have kids I have the small second bedroom. I don't know how I'll feel a couple of years after I move in, but right now I'm thinking I'd just settle down there. The fact that there are a whole bunch of schools to choose from on-site in co-op city and there is lot of fields and little leagues I think would be great for my kids. I always lived in neighborhoods where there wasn't park space to go outside, just the dirty dangerous streets. The nearest parks were always far away and small, and so I like the idea of my kids being a part of a little league having space to throw the football around with them you know.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM

You probably mean a 3.0 as they go by the number of room total. A. 5 is a with balcony. I could see what you mean by the schools and grass area if you haven't lived in an area like that. Sadly kids hardly play as much as the they used to especially in co-op city from what I've seen over the years.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
You probably mean a 3.0 as they go by the number of room total. A. 5 is a with balcony. I could see what you mean by the schools and grass area if you haven't lived in an area like that. Sadly kids hardly play as much as the they used to especially in co-op city from what I've seen over the years.
Yeah it was the 4.0 apartment. I think it's because alot of the folks who live in Co-op City have lived there for decades and are now in their 60s and 70s. I read that they estimate 10,000-15,000 out of 60,000 residents are senior citizens. I think in the coming years it's going to go through a generational shift, younger families with young children are going to move in and alot of the original occupants whose children have moved out will pass on their apartments.

I say I like the lawns for having a future family, and a big reason I'm moving is because we want to have kids soon and we can get a bigger apartment in Co-op City, but I also just want these things for myself. Having outdoor park space and a balcony would be nice for me. I've noticed that I feel better when I spend time outdoors in the park. Living in the city so long the concrete and lack of open space can get to me. Co-op City is one of the only places in the city where there is a good amount of park space to enjoy, alot of other apartment complexes I notice really just create the illusion of this and it's not really enough space to be an attractive enough space to want to spend time of your day hanging out playing chess or reading the paper.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,616,788 times
OP: Just curious why do you want out of Parkchester? Personally it seems like a great spot for your commuting needs being right next to the express 6.

I can't comment on Co-op City.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
OP: Just curious why do you want out of Parkchester? Personally it seems like a great spot for your commuting needs being right next to the express 6.

I can't comment on Co-op City.
I'm not the guy who lives in Parkchester, but I know has pretty ****ty rent. I know a 1 bedroom now is like over 1300.00? Also the apartments are tiny. I also find the courtyards kind of dim and depressing in most areas of the complex. I also hear you have to pay your own gas and electric and that parking is awful. There is a parking lot but it's super expensive. I wouldn't want to live there for those reasons.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,616,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I'm not the guy who lives in Parkchester, but I know has pretty ****ty rent. I know a 1 bedroom now is like over 1300.00? Also the apartments are tiny. I also find the courtyards kind of dim and depressing in most areas of the complex. I also hear you have to pay your own gas and electric and that parking is awful. There is a parking lot but it's super expensive. I wouldn't want to live there for those reasons.
1300 is a bit steep for a place like Parkchester, but as for the issue with parking, honestly everything you would need in life is along Westchester Ave and the 6 is your ticket anywhere else. You may need a car for trips beyond the 5 boroughs but if you don't really leave the city that much zipcar would do the trick...

Not trying to thread-drift, but since we were talking about crime concerns, I wonder if Parkchester is still considered safe. I know once you cross WPR you're in a very bad area...

Also, I believe a new mall opened up at Co-Op. There's also buses to the 6 at Pelham Bay (rather than deal with traffic on the express bus to Manhattan).

Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,245,095 times
Does Co-op city have a lot of diversity in the people who live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery