Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 02:53 PM

64 posts, read 84,955 times

Advertisements

Just got my approval from HDC. It took about two weeks to come back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT942 View Post
What kind of apartment? Low ? Middle income? Lottery?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:15 PM

35 posts, read 69,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT942 View Post
congratulations! that is awesome!

Which borough did you apply for?

My family and I applied for an apartment and went for our interview on Tuesday to refresh our documentation since it has been 6 months since we interviewed. Due to a recent change in my school schedule, I can longer able to work as of 12/31/2016. The interviewer said that all of our paperwork was in order and that the only thing missing was a letter from my former employer stating that I was no longer employed. That was taken care of the same day by my former employer. I asked how long the paperwork would take from HPD and they said 5 days and would follow up with them if they did not hear back from them within that time frame.

So I'm trying to be patient of course, but it's so hard.

I'm really concerned with what HPD will say regarding my family's income. We have one provider now and fall within the income bracket, but then I still wonder if they are going to count what I made on last year's taxes or are they going to say we don't need the apartment because at one point, I was making decent money in 2014, a year they asked for but that year I quit my job to go back to school. I didn't work in 2015, but borrowed money from my IRA. I then got a part-time job in 2016 to help me pay for supplies, books, etc. I try not to touch my dwindling IRA, but I have dipped into it in order to pay for school. Are they going to dump that money on top of my family's income?

The management company asked about my grant money/scholarships. In order to be honest, I put it down; I read they can't calculate it as income, but is it that the management company can't calculate it as income and HPD can calculate it?

They asked me how much money I had in my wallet and in my checking account at that moment. Is that income? And why would they even ask if they weren't planning to add that to my income if it comes from a source already listed? Why even ask?

For instance, if I made $6000 a year and I had $50 dollars in my pocket, it means that I went to the bank and withdrew $50 dollars from the $6000 I made at some point in the year. I didn't make $6050.

I am seriously driving myself crazy with this, worrying about HPD!!!

Anybody else still waiting for their approval?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM

274 posts, read 485,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyskeptical View Post

My family and I applied for an apartment and went for our interview on Tuesday to refresh our documentation since it has been 6 months since we interviewed. Due to a recent change in my school schedule, I can longer able to work as of 12/31/2016. The interviewer said that all of our paperwork was in order and that the only thing missing was a letter from my former employer stating that I was no longer employed. That was taken care of the same day by my former employer. I asked how long the paperwork would take from HPD and they said 5 days and would follow up with them if they did not hear back from them within that time frame.

I'm really concerned with what HPD will say regarding my family's income. We have one provider now and fall within the income bracket, but then I still wonder if they are going to count what I made on last year's taxes or are they going to say we don't need the apartment because at one point, I was making decent money in 2014, a year they asked for but that year I quit my job to go back to school. I didn't work in 2015, but borrowed money from my IRA. I then got a part-time job in 2016 to help me pay for supplies, books, etc. I try not to touch my dwindling IRA, but I have dipped into it in order to pay for school. Are they going to dump that money on top of my family's income?

The management company asked about my grant money/scholarships. In order to be honest, I put it down; I read they can't calculate it as income, but is it that the management company can't calculate it as income and HPD can calculate it?

They asked me how much money I had in my wallet and in my checking account at that moment. Is that income? And why would they even ask if they weren't planning to add that to my income if it comes from a source already listed? Why even ask?

For instance, if I made $6000 a year and I had $50 dollars in my pocket, it means that I went to the bank and withdrew $50 dollars from the $6000 I made at some point in the year. I didn't make $6050.

I've been waiting for about 6 wks now for HPD approval. I'm assuming they're taking forever because my building is not fully completed. They won't add that $50 on top of your income but i believe they add a certain % of any savings you have.

I wish you all the best.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
I was told city approval takes about 5 days.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyskeptical View Post

A few years ago I was under consideration for an 80/20 apartment. IIRC if you are clearly under distribution age, they don't really care about retirement plans (I submitted my intel but the coordinator barely glanced at it). For monies withdrawn from an IRA, IIRC, I believe they will not count loans but will count distributions/withdrawals you took, if those are added to your tax returns for the most recent filed year (IIRC, every development I ever applied to, worked off of your most recent completed tax returns and that fiscal year's AGI).

As for the cash on hand, they are simply looking for large discrepancies, cash deposits or wallet caches, in manner of fearing that you might be a drug dealer or similar I guess (lol). Scholarships/grants, I have no experience with as I had to pay-as-you-go via credit card for my master's, but I feel like they take into account that once your schooling ends it will be money you no longer have available to you - happy to defer to anyone else on the financial aid topic, though. Good luck!!

Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM

64 posts, read 84,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What kind of apartment? Low ? Middle income? Lottery?
It was middle income. NHOP in harlem.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
I've been waiting for about 6 wks now for HPD approval. I'm assuming they're taking forever because my building is not fully completed. They won't add that $50 on top of your income but i believe they add a certain % of any savings you have.

I wish you all the best.

I don't think the completion of the building has anything to do with HPD approval. In other words, if everything is okay with your application, it will be approved by HPD. If the building doesn't have a C of O at that point, you will have to wait for that. You might not be able to sign a lease, and you definitely would not be given keys. But you will be approved as ready to go. As far as I know.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM

274 posts, read 485,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I don't think the completion of the building has anything to do with HPD approval. In other words, if everything is okay with your application, it will be approved by HPD. If the building doesn't have a C of O at that point, you will have to wait for that. You might not be able to sign a lease, and you definitely would not be given keys. But you will be approved as ready to go. As far as I know.
I guess they're unfortunately taking their sweet a$$ time then... lol I'm a patient gal though so the wait continues.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:59 PM

260 posts, read 333,029 times
Does the management company call you once they get the approval from the city. It's just my daughter and I and my flie was sent last Wednesday. Should I hear back soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: