Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 09:31 AM

42 posts, read 48,205 times

Advertisements

lovelyjungle- ahh okay i misread that lol i like spectrum so far but yeah i only needed internet I have an android box to watch all my cable shows and movies lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM

43 posts, read 43,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itssha3 View Post
I'm so excited for you guys, my file is with HPD, and they said there is a hold w Copper, apparently, Copper needs to submit further documentation in order for HPD to move on with the process
Omg that sounds so frustrating and painful.
If this process had a face, I would punch it for you.
I hope it all works out soon!

Old 06-01-2018, 03:38 PM

56 posts, read 61,639 times
Lovely did you fix your outlets? I am glad you mentioned it on forum because I brought my charger with me to test it and mine didn't work either. I finally figured it out. There is a light switch that controls the outlets in the room. If you flick it, it should work.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:14 PM

129 posts, read 133,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channies View Post
Lovely did you fix your outlets? I am glad you mentioned it on forum because I brought my charger with me to test it and mine didn't work either. I finally figured it out. There is a light switch that controls the outlets in the room. If you flick it, it should work.
Nope they came when I wasn’t here and said they fixed it but I just checked and it’s still not fixed and the switch is on. Idk why it’s not working and I’m upset because it’s one of the outlets where I have to connect my tv too

Old 06-02-2018, 02:13 PM

60 posts, read 67,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulartist View Post
hey guys! so i'm typing this while sitting in my apartment! finally got internet! it's so crazy that so many of us are actually living here. we need a mixer or something. it still feels surreal. like it's been a long time coming and so much stress. how's everyone liking it so far?
Congrats!!! I'm also settled in. It's great! I'm down for a mixer in the lounge!

Old 06-02-2018, 03:11 PM

60 posts, read 67,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channies View Post
I hate that the outlets are like that lol. I have one in the living room raped down because it’ll turn off the TV and everything else I have plugged in against that wall.

Same with the Room switch so I manually have to turn the lamp on and off because it’ll turn off everything plugged into the surge protector plugged in -_-

Old 06-02-2018, 09:22 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze2018 View Post
Chama - tell them you are a part student, don't mention you plan to be a full-time student.
So it’s okay to be a part time student? Does it matter how old you are? I’m 65 and want to go back to school part time. I said I wasn’t a student on the application but put tbd in response to the question about future student status. Aside from that, what’s the logic behind that? As long as you meet the income requirements why does it matter if you go to school or not??

Old 06-03-2018, 11:10 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,187 times
I wouldn't mention school, especially if you're just taking courses. You're just going to complicate your application, and there's no logical reason why someone who meets the income requirements can't also go to school too. I assume you're still working (you said you were 65) or that you're drawing Social Security and it's paying you within the income requirements? If you have retirement accounts, those don't count in the asset cap, which is very low. But if you're drawing on those accounts, I imagine those payments would count as income. Do yourself a favor and Google Marketing Guidelines HPD, and download the Handbook. Make sure you're looking at the October 2016 version. You'll learn a lot. For now, just read the section(s) on income. Good luck. It is OK to be a part-time student, but unless you're going for a degree, have taken out a loan, etc., I would let it alone. Age doesn't affect any of this, other than that because of assets and income, you might be disqualified on those grounds. To have the same asset cap for, say, 25-year-olds and 65-year-olds is just one of the many ways the process works against older people. I don't believe it's intentional discrimination, it just works that way, like so much else in the lottery process that favors one demographic over another. Eventually, someone with a lot of time and patience, will challenge this legally.

Last edited by Moving415; 06-03-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
I wouldn't mention school, especially if you're just taking courses. You're just going to complicate your application, and there's no logical reason why someone who meets the income requirements can't also go to school too. I assume you're still working (you said you were 65) or that you're drawing Social Security and it's paying you within the income requirements? If you have retirement accounts, those don't count in the asset cap, which is very low. But if you're drawing on the account, I imagine that would count as income. Do yourself a favor and Google Marketing Guidelines HPD, and you'll learn a lot. For now, just read the section(s) on income. Good luck.
Thanks very helpful. Yes, I’m retired and get social security. Also have very small private pension but otherwise am well within the income guidelines. Thanks again!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,187 times
If the pension and the SS add up to fill the requirements of the income band, you're in good shape. Congrats! If you have other, say, brokerage and savings accounts, they must be under the neighborhood of $55,000 (or so, don't have the exact figure handy). That's a ridiculously low cap for people who have been working for 40 years, but ... best of luck. And again, bona fide retirement accounts (any type of IRA--Roth or Traditional, 401ks) are excluded from the cap. Some of the marketing agents are ignorant on this point, so I'm emphasizing it. Let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery