Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:36 AM

61 posts, read 73,445 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So I just applied to my first lottery on the new housing connect website and I was struggling on how to update my income.

With covid as I am sure most of us experienced, my job temporarily closed and I was receiving unemployment from March- Mid July. I returned back to work Mid July and I am now receiving my salary from work. I have figured out my annual income on paper based on the separate incomes but I am not sure how to input this into the housing connect website. Because for the unemployment it calculates it for the whole year which ultimately creates a higher annual income.

Has anybody come into this issue? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 10:44 AM

86 posts, read 75,752 times
Even though i manually typed in my calculated salary. The site opted to use my 2019 W-2 instead, which is slightly higher since i did a few days of OT.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:48 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
I cross-posted with beefpatty. I haven't applied for anything via the new site yet, so beefpatty probably knows more than I do.

Covid has complicated everything!

Where are you in the process?

Are you just updating your application? If so, choose an income number that is safely within one of the brackets. It's not cheating because later you will need to prove it.

The reason I say this is, maybe you won't be called for six months. At that time, you will have to supply your six most recent paystubs. Who knows what your income will be then?

But you are supposed to update your application and then apply. Maybe the rules are different for the new NYC Housing Connect, I don't know.

If you applied already, what did you put down as income?

Old 08-19-2020, 10:16 PM

29 posts, read 28,071 times
This is request for proof for household income
Keep W2 evey month is actually need. 6 months W2 is required.
That is the rule,don't not break or cheat

Unemployment Payment history from NYS Department of Labor Online System (http://labor.ny.gov/unemploymentassistance.shtm)

Old 08-20-2020, 12:19 PM

61 posts, read 73,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I cross-posted with beefpatty. I haven't applied for anything via the new site yet, so beefpatty probably knows more than I do.

Covid has complicated everything!

Where are you in the process?

Are you just updating your application? If so, choose an income number that is safely within one of the brackets. It's not cheating because later you will need to prove it.

The reason I say this is, maybe you won't be called for six months. At that time, you will have to supply your six most recent paystubs. Who knows what your income will be then?

But you are supposed to update your application and then apply. Maybe the rules are different for the new NYC Housing Connect, I don't know.

If you applied already, what did you put down as income?

I was updating my information to apply to one of the new lotteries. With both my work income and unemployment it shows that I am making 2k more. But I agree with you regardless I'll bring my documents to support if I got called (Fingers crossed). I'm just being extra anal because with this lottery you have one chance

Hopefully this new site is better!

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:59 PM

515 posts, read 525,426 times
Hey QTpie274

I just want you to be aware that what will matter most if you get called back is your CURRENT salary at the time of that interview.

Since you are no longer receiving unemployment they WILL NOT be allowed to use that income to project the following year's income if you are indeed back at your job and receiving your regular salary.

My advice is to calculate your salary now moving forward with your job only because unless you have a termination date in place and plan on going back on unemployment then that's the only reason why that income will need to be considered.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 9,356 times
I simply calculated how much I would receive in total this year from unemployment. Make sure after you put in that number, you select “yearly” for frequency. The cool thing about the new website, is that you can always update things if they should change.

Hope this was helpful! Took me a while to figure it out. :-)

Old 08-20-2020, 06:16 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
I Haven't yet site this up. The new site sounds like it will be alot more complicated for people who freelance. Any one else freelance and work gigs that vary month to month and income year to year.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 PM

86 posts, read 75,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I Haven't yet site this up. The new site sounds like it will be alot more complicated for people who freelance. Any one else freelance and work gigs that vary month to month and income year to year.
The new site actually helps those with changing income. With the old site when you submit your application, your income can be outdated by the time the management agency gets to it. With the new site, you can update your income prior to your application being touched.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:44 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefpatty View Post
The new site actually helps those with changing income. With the old site when you submit your application, your income can be outdated by the time the management agency gets to it. With the new site, you can update your income prior to your application being touched.
I would just apply to everything and guess my income. Then they contact you if you aren't in the income range based upon you application but you can appeal if you turned out to be.
My career has busy times so once I got called in in the beginning of the year and they said I wouldn't make enough and was declined. Even though as the year went on, I reached my busy season and ended up being exactly in the range. As well as the 2 years prior I was in the range. No matter how they do it, freelances get screwed. Then need set rules how they deal with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: