Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:51 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

To me, the question is, when was the building ready for occupancy? I'm assuming it's a new building. When did it get its C of O?

I guess I'm asking if you could have been moved in earlier. If so, do you have a case now that you should have been processed under the old rules?

If the building wasn't ready earlier, then the fact that the agent took its time with you is of no consequence, because you would have had to submit updated documents anyway and you would have fallen under the new guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:06 AM

272 posts, read 534,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
To me, the question is, when was the building ready for occupancy? I'm assuming it's a new building. When did it get its C of O?

I guess I'm asking if you could have been moved in earlier. If so, do you have a case now that you should have been processed under the old rules?

If the building wasn't ready earlier, then the fact that the agent took its time with you is of no consequence, because you would have had to submit updated documents anyway and you would have fallen under the new guidelines.
When I went to see the apartment 3 weeks ago there were about 15 occupied apartments. The building wasn't totally finished but the apartments I saw were ready for occupancy and people were living in the building.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Can you move some money into an IRA or other retirement account to get below the limit? This would only work if you're fairly close though.

The new guidelines are dated October 2016, and I don't know exactly when they took effect.

But I do feel for you. It's lousy if they dragged their feet long enough for you to not qualify any longer!

Old 11-06-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Can you move some money into an IRA or other retirement account to get below the limit? This would only work if you're fairly close though.

The new guidelines are dated October 2016, and I don't know exactly when they took effect.

But I do feel for you. It's lousy if they dragged their feet long enough for you to not qualify any longer!

Nah, I have too much over the limit and I'm disabled so I can't contribute to the IRA(S). So you can see the situation really stinks. My assets have to last me the rest of my life.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Also they told me the new rules took effect October 31st. They submitted my application on nov 1st or 2nd.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Wow, that's really awful. I can't think of any other way around it. I hate to be paranoid, but if it were me, I would wonder if they knew about the rule change for assets ahead of time, and they held off processing me until they knew I would be disqualified.

But that doesn't help you either, unless you can demonstrate that they processed you more slowly than other people, and you suffered for that. Are there any advocates for the disabled you can speak with?

Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's really awful. I can't think of any other way around it. I hate to be paranoid, but if it were me, I would wonder if they knew about the rule change for assets ahead of time, and they held off processing me until they knew I would be disqualified.

But that doesn't help you either, unless you can demonstrate that they processed you more slowly than other people, and you suffered for that. Are there any advocates for the disabled you can speak with?
Yeah I am paranoid and I'm looking into all of it. It's not right. I don't want to say too much in a public forum. I thought someone else may be going through the same thing so I reached out here.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,187 times
I feel terrible that his happened to you. I don't understand why you can't move money into an IRA, which could help for future lotteries, but then I don't know your finances or situation. I would still appeal -- always worth a try. Moving your assets into an IRA is probably too late a strategy for this property, but for future lotteries? I think getting in touch with an advocate is a good idea -- try someone on your community board? -- perhaps someone who could make an argument on your behalf as to why you need to move into a building like this, which might have more of the facilities you need, and that you were qualified at the time you applied. Let us know what happens. It's not likely anyone will figure out who you are -- you didn't even mention the development, and I'm sure not the first in your situation.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:04 AM

16 posts, read 60,215 times
I just got assigned log number 9,614 for location: 525 W 52nd Street APTS Manhattan Clinton as of 11/7/2016. I have no community preference and I'm not sure if this is a good log number because most of my log numbers are less than 20,000s. Still no response from the other log numbers below 20,000s, don't think I'll get selected! But I'll keep trying I guess!

Old 11-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica7413 View Post
I just got assigned log number 9,614 for location: 525 W 52nd Street APTS Manhattan Clinton as of 11/7/2016. I have no community preference and I'm not sure if this is a good log number because most of my log numbers are less than 20,000s. Still no response from the other log numbers below 20,000s, don't think I'll get selected! But I'll keep trying I guess!
That's a good log number. They are going to give about 40% to people w/o preference. You could have a shot. Find the thread for that building and check out what people are saying. If there isn't a thread then start one. Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2016, 01:46 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,187 times
That is not a good log number if you don't have community preference. Without community preference, you really need a log number below 500, and even with a number in those low ranks, you'll be called months after all the preference groups march through. I think it's a good idea to apply to lotteries everywhere, but only get emotionally invested in those in your CB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery