Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 03:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,619,964 times

Advertisements

Mitchell Lama is a different program than the 80/20 housing being discussed in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,863,681 times
Multiple people very very VERY far along in the housing process lottery in the CB preference got their slots stolen from them recently so homeless "families" can get those spots. gross. Homeless people in LUXURY housing lmfao.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Enjoy your bedbugs, people paying 3500 dollars for a ONE BEDROOM!

Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
They can't reject someone based on credit score alone, they need to have another reason listed in the handbook.

Doesn't matter what you credit score is these days. It's going to be a need-based system. Hey people renting those expensive apartments? You sniff that funky smell? HEY! It's your new homeless neighbors living in 4A! Perhaps you will become BFF's in the Yoga Room :/
Why would they smell bad? They now have an apartment complete with shower.

Honestly if you have a job you should not care about this. Simply move to the outer boroughs or the suburbs.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:47 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,621,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why would they smell bad? They now have an apartment complete with shower.
That's the hope, but consider that anyone off the street can get a shower/shave/hot meal at either a city shelter or non-profit yet some don't bother to do so is concerning. These are the truly mentally ill who may not even really be able to function in an apartment without extensive outpatient care. I don't know if they're going to be part of this program.

Quote:
Honestly if you have a job you should not care about this. Simply move to the outer boroughs or the suburbs.
Things don't happen in a bubble. I want what's best for the homeless as much as the next guy but consider that once word spreads that showing up at Port Authority gets you a ticket to a luxury Manhattan apartment you'll have an unfathomable wave of newly minted "homeless" showing up and the problem will be far worse than before. This will drain city coffers used to fund other things like schools, subways, NYPD, and even other anti-poverty programs. I support housing the homeless over shelters but putting people up on 5th ave is over the top.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:59 PM

444 posts, read 389,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Mitchell Lama is a different program than the 80/20 housing being discussed in this thread.
I'm aware, but since housing lotteries are given to ML buildings also I figured I would throw it out there.

Also the OP specifically mentioned Mitchell Lama in the original post...hoping the new guidelines apply to BOTH 80/20 and ML buildings.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:08 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,365,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Multiple people very very VERY far along in the housing process lottery in the CB preference got their slots stolen from them recently so homeless "families" can get those spots. gross. Homeless people in LUXURY housing lmfao.
If it was never theirs, it can't be stolen from them.

The government giveth arbitrarily and the government can taketh away in the same manner.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:12 PM

You are very correct about that. But now when I see a homeless person begging instead of giving them change I want to spit in their face. What does that mean?

Old 12-10-2016, 06:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,256,067 times
Homeless people meaning people who live in a shelter and work. They just currently don't have have their own apt.
You have to fit the income bracket to get in any of the apartments, whether 80/20, Mitchell llama, Low income housing(LAMP).
They aren't just picking up the man sleeping on the subway bench and bringing him to an apartment and saying here you go sir its all yours.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,256,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not think this is a good thing. All low/moderately income people are not created equal. Why would any person pay market rate to live in a building where the standards of obtaining an apartment are so low? Where I live, you must make a certain salary and have good credit. No exceptions! It really makes a difference. No loud music, unsupervised brats running around and people hanging out. It really makes a difference.
Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery