Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 13,243 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to start of by saying doing my countless research and reading other peoples posts, I am one of the lucky ones. I received a very low lottery number, disqualifed, appealed, got overturned and still made it to the final round.

I have been planning since day 1 on snagging a one bedroom apartment. I was assigned by management a 1 bedroom apartment. I would be living by myself, but have alot of friends and hoped for more space to entertain, start a family etc.

I would like to speak with management in hopes of exchanging my studio for a one bedroom. What are solid reasons I can provide to win my case?
Or I should be more than grateful that I am lottery winner?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
If you qualify for the income range of the one bedrooms, you can ask if one is still available. If your income falls in those brackets and a one bedroom is available, you might be able to get it. Just ask. There's no need to give reasons or go into elaborate explanations, either you qualify for a one bedroom or you don't, one is available or it isn't. What development is it? Maybe someone else on the forum has experience with the developer.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:29 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,841,918 times
Just a side comment... it's amazing how many people I read about on here who get disqualified, appeal, and win their appeal. The people reviewing applications are too often notoriously terrible. You should consider yourself lucky that after you won your appeal there was still space for you. So many people win their appeal but are out of luck because they have already filled the apartments by the time the appeal is won.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
just a side comment... It's amazing how many people i read about on here who get disqualified, appeal, and win their appeal. The people reviewing applications are too often notoriously terrible. You should consider yourself lucky that after you won your appeal there was still space for you. So many people win their appeal but are out of luck because they have already filled the apartments by the time the appeal is won.
+1

Old 10-08-2016, 12:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Take what you are given and be over the moon about it or get your own 1 bedroom in the building and pay market rent. D*amn people are so entitled. Its an apt for YOU to live in not for you to entertain and have others over. You need more space then go ahead and ask them for some rent money so you can afford a bigger apt. I sincerely wish someone else had won this apartment that would have try graditute.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:02 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
This is what the welfare state in NYC breeds.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:11 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
take what you are given and be over the moon about it or get your own 1 bedroom in the building and pay market rent. D*amn people are so entitled. Its an apt for you to live in not for you to entertain and have others over. You need more space then go ahead and ask them for some rent money so you can afford a bigger apt. I sincerely wish someone else had won this apartment that would have try graditute.
+1.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:27 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
take what you are given and be over the moon about it or get your own 1 bedroom in the building and pay market rent. D*amn people are so entitled. Its an apt for you to live in not for you to entertain and have others over. You need more space then go ahead and ask them for some rent money so you can afford a bigger apt. I sincerely wish someone else had won this apartment that would have try graditute.
+1

Old 10-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is what the welfare state in NYC breeds.
& what does this mean exactly?

Old 10-08-2016, 03:36 PM

I brought up this point because a man before me on my appointment really wanted the studio and unfortunately would be placed on the waiting list. I feel as if there is more 1 bedrooms than studios available, why can I give up my spot for that man and exchange?

Its more so the housing lottery system is so meticulous from the 9 months I experienced and kind of unfair.

Im moving from a Co op in UWS to this building as i previously mentioned, i know how rare it is to win and i am still grateful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery