Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM

98 posts, read 196,596 times

Advertisements

It has now come down to this:

Bigger lot and smaller sq ft of the house at builder 1 vs. bigger sq ft of the house but a lot smaller lot at Builder 2. Terribly confused. Both floor plans are decent and end total pricing is very similar as well and both are in the same community.

What holds more value at resale ? The one thing we have realized is only 1 storey homes have bigger family room and most 2 storey homes have typically smaller family rooms. We cannot afford the mansions that have 2 storey homes with a massive family room of course. So it helps that Builder 2 has a slightly bigger family room and even bigger bedrooms on the top floors but does it really matter over having a big backyard?

All pros & cons welcome in helping us make a final decision.

roughly:

builder 1 - 2979 sq ft on 13,300 sq ft lot (.3 acres)
builder 2 - 3230 sq ft on 8,000 sq ft lot (.18 acres)

Many Thanks

Last edited by bghouston; 05-02-2014 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
How much do you need the bigger yard? Do you ever plan to add on?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
Do you have kids? If so, a bigger yard is more important when they are young. Id there room for a playlet or pool? Once the kids are teenagers, they mostly stay inside or they go to meet up with their friends who have pools, etc. You will spend time in the family room year round whereas many times of the year it will be too hot to spend much time outside.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghouston View Post
It has now come down to this:

Bigger lot and smaller sq ft of the house at builder 1 vs. bigger sq ft of the house but a lot smaller lot at Builder 2. Terribly confused. Both floor plans are decent and end total pricing is very similar as well and both are in the same community.

What holds more value at resale ? The one thing we have realized is only 1 storey homes have bigger family room and most 2 storey homes have typically smaller family rooms. We cannot afford the mansions that have 2 storey homes with a massive family room of course. So it helps that Builder 2 has a slightly bigger family room and even bigger bedrooms on the top floors but does it really matter over having a big backyard?

All pros & cons welcome in helping us make a final decision.

Many Thanks
Bigger house sq footage always = higher value as houses are generally value by $/sq as the main comparable if same neighborhood.

The rest is really personal preference. Realistically how many times will you be spending in the back yard? Unless you planning to build a pool, backyard size should not be a deciding factor imo.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Does the home with the smaller yard have enough yard? Will it prevent you from installing a pool or anything like that?

BTW, even though my home is two stories, I prefer a single story home.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How much do you need the bigger yard? Do you ever plan to add on?

I was planning on adding a badminton court for now, but it has enough space for a pool as well if someone wants to put one (not sure if HOA will create any issues though). We do not have kids yet but plans maybe for this year maybe. There will be a good sized extended covered patio. as well

This big lot has no neighbors behind. I was more thinking along the line of re-sale value and the potential that buyers will see when buying a house. Do you think I can command a better resale value (not even in terms of money but actually being able to find a buyer right away) with that bigger backyard?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Does the home with the smaller yard have enough yard? Will it prevent you from installing a pool or anything like that?

BTW, even though my home is two stories, I prefer a single story home.

Yep , the bigger house with smaller yard is too small for a pool installation.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
How big of a difference is it between sf of the houses & lots?

Is it like 2500sf on 1/2 acres vs 3500sf on 1/8 acre?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
We have a small 1-story house on a huge lot. It's big enough for a pool & house-add on.

But, if I had the opportunity to buy a larger house on a smaller lot, I would prefer to have a larger 1-story house than the huge lot. I just wouldn't want a postage stamp sized lot.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,771,273 times
Yard size for some plays a very important role in building a home. Having the right size yard for entertaining, kids, pool, gardening, etc can be what makes home. Also consider the bigger yard if you plan to have dog(s) as they need room to run.

The bigger house will have its return for sure but there are those looking for that right yard to close the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston