Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:36 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times

Advertisements

quote:
Why don't more people who are playing the affordable housing lotteries put their names on Mitchell Lama waiting lists?

Some of us prefer to rent. Home ownership is a total farce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 AM

481 posts, read 427,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Why don't more people who are playing the affordable housing lotteries put their names on Mitchell Lama waiting lists?

Care to elaborate?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 AM

64 posts, read 176,825 times
I don't see how mitchell lama home ownership is a total farce, unless you're looking to gain equity and/or make a profit off your purchase at a later date. If that's the case than maybe co-op ownership isn't for you.

If you're looking to make a long term home somewhere in the city, plant your roots, and stick around for a long time, a co-op in general is the way to go... and a Mitchell Lama co-op is as good as gold.

I think now is a better time than ever to start adding yourself to waiting lists, whether they are buildings with perpetually open lists, or the buildings that have been opening their lists via lottery the past few years. As many as you can. The reason being is that a lot of these buildings were built in the 1960s and have a lot of original tenants. A lot of Mitchell Lamas are NORCs with these original residents unfortunately passing away. They're looking for the "next generation" to come in. That's why, since 2012 or so, we have seen a large number of highly desirable buildings open up their wait lists. I never thought East Midtown or York Hill would open up in a million years; now someone I know at York Hill says that older/original residents are passing away literally every month, they're preparing for a ton of vacancies, and expect to cycle through their external 1 bed wait list in 5 years. I think this is happening in a lot of buildings. Look how fast the Penn South list has moved. I moved up almost 200 spots in 9 months on the studio list! If you're familiar with buildings in the program who have closed lists - it's a long shot and a gamble - but it wouldn't hurt to write to their management companies and request to be added to the wait list and/or ask to see if they anticipate the wait list being opened. They just opened Lincoln Amsterdam lottery up (for 4 bedroom apartments though) and I bet in 2017 we'll see some buildings whos list have been closed for a long time do a new lottery. Some developments are huge and stocked with original residents who are passing away, not leaving the apartment to a successor. Nows the time to take advantage! Get on now, make sure you stay in touch with the management company, put it out of your head for a while and one day you'll get that phone call. 5-6 years flies by!

I would much rather apply for and pay the app fee for a handful of mitchell lamas and wait a few years than deal with the 80/20 buildings, but that's just me!

Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
quote:

There are tons of Mitchell Lama rental buildings. As a matter of fact, many more rental buildings than co ops.

HPD - Find Housing - Mitchell Lama

Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Ownership may be a farce at today's prices, but renting is even worse. If you bought an apartment in Manhattan at the peak in 2007, you're probably way ahead at this point. I bought back in the '90s and it was the smartest move I ever made. It's the only reason I can still stay in the city.

Quote:
quote:

Old 10-22-2016, 08:56 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There are tons of Mitchell Lama rental buildings. As a matter of fact, many more rental buildings than co ops.

HPD - Find Housing - Mitchell Lama

I would STRONGLY recommend the ML co-op over ML rental. The plan of every ML landlord is to take his buildings private ASAP. Rents are quickly raised to market and the bargain rent is no longer a bargain.
A ML coop offers tremendous stability and if the cooperators decide to go public, then they all have a huge potential windfall because THEY own the market valued co-op.
The can $ell or stay.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:47 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,874 times
Not owning enough land is not the problem and the NYC Dep't of Housing Preservation & Development has Urban Renewal Areas that they are currently developing. An example of this is Willet's Point Urban Renewal Area which was approved by the City Council in 2013 and work on the project is just starting now. As per Wikipedia, "Willets Point is currently undergoing a US$4 billion redevelopment project to construct retail and residential buildings in the area...." They have also amended URA's such as Arverne and Edgemere along with others in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Mitchell-Lama much like other federal housing "projects" only worked when there were large tracts of land easily (and somewhat cheaply) available for development or redevelopment. That is not the case for NYC today, and besides neither the city nor state own enough land for such a project.

One of the main tools that produced both Mitchell-Lama and "project" housing was urban renewal/slum clearance schemes. Both relied heavily upon eminent domain and were responsible for many of the sites where ML and "projects" sit today.

Urban renewal got a very nasty name in the day (famous African American writer James Baldwin called it "negro removal"), because many saw the application of "blighted" as a way to clear out poor but otherwise stable and functioning communities (of color or otherwise), to build new housing.

Developers having seen what happens when getting into bed with NYS or NYC likely wouldn't fall for the exact same ML scheme again without some built in protections in their favor.

As originally designed ML projects were free to come out from under subsidized rents/co-op ownership after 20 years (usually by paying off the underlying mortgages). Politicians then didn't worry about the consequences but things hit the fan one by one places like Rupert Towers (built on the site of a former brewery), paid off their financing and left the program. This turning into market rate housing enraged some sections of local and state government and community "activists". So now all are attempting in various ways to change the rules during the middle of game. Things such as forcing ML units that come out of the scheme to go under RS laws and such.

If you look at what ML did or does, the 80/20 schemes coupled with rezoning pretty much acts as an replacement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitche...ousing_Program

Only thing is the state isn't stepping in and condemning/taking land from private owners. Rather working with them to provide some measure of affordable housing.

Last edited by fyrisle; 12-05-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery