Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,256,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Except that you're wrong.

Of course people have other bills that's why I noted disposable income post rent. All other expenses are miniscule and can be managed compared to rent in NYC.

If you're making 35K, then you pay the FICA of 6.2% in tax and that's pretty much it. A person making 50K, will have an effective tax rate closer to 20%. Furthermore, you're probably getting free medical care and the person making 50K has to actually pay some type of premium.

If you were making 50K, there's no way you'd have 25K of disposable income you fool. That must be the dumbest comment I've heard in a while. What are you going to tell me? That they should live with 10 roommates and pay $500 in rent while eating ramen, stealing their neighbors wifi, and reading books in the library for entertainment?

I would say that "comfortable" in NYC comes for single people making 60K+. I'm not even going to talk about couples with children. A 3-4 person family with an 80/20 apartment and 60K in income has it better than most NY families making up to $150K. You better believe it.

Yes, a person making 35K with an 80/20 apartment has it better than most single people earning the median income. This isn't even debatable.

Wow you are angry tonight, perhaps put on your coat and step outside and take a breathe.

I make 25k and I have some disposable income. So If I'd make double that at 50k I'd have easily have extra. Maybe not 25k your right... but a good 20k.
No I don't live with roommates, I pay for my wifi, eat great food, and enjoy entertainment here. Although I do use the library. You can rent books and movies for free its wonderful!
People b*tch and moan how hard this city is. YES its expensive but you still can live a good life that many don't get to on a low salary.
Also You don't get free medical care if you make 35k a year either. You pay just like those who make 50k.

People need to get over what they don't have and appreciate what they do have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 07:34 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,365,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Wow you are angry tonight, perhaps put on your coat and step outside and take a breathe.

I make 25k and I have some disposable income. So If I'd make double that at 50k I'd have easily have extra. Maybe not 25k your right... but a good 20k.
No I don't live with roommates, I pay for my wifi, eat great food, and enjoy entertainment here. Although I do use the library. You can rent books and movies for free its wonderful!
People b*tch and moan how hard this city is. YES its expensive but you still can live a good life that many don't get to on a low salary.
Also You don't get free medical care if you make 35k a year either. You pay just like those who make 50k.

People need to get over what they don't have and appreciate what they do have!
You're correct. This is one of the few topics that really sets me off because the program is so perverse.

You know why some developers wanted to create "poor doors"? It was not because their market rate residents didn't want to deal with those who won in a lottery. Most market rate residents don't know they're living in 80/20's.

Imagine you're a market rate resident who has no idea that they're living in an 80/20 development.You get to know some of your neighbors and are in an elevator chatting it up. You come to find out that you pay $3K for a 1 bedroom while someone you just talked to in the elevator pays $1500 for a 3 bedroom. Not only would word travel through the building pretty quick but some of these people would absolutely blow their gasket. It would not only create tension within the building but with management.

You can argue that this is petty but if there's one universal situation that everyone dislikes, it's unfairness (or a sense of it). That's the reason for the "poor doors" and not the garbage narrative that the media pushes.

Getting to your 25K, how much disposable income can you have? Is your rent $500 with roommates? If so, how sustainable is that? You never plan to get in a relationship and have children? How sustainable is your lifestyle? Many things are sustainable in the short-medium term but that doesn't make it a long term solution.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
You're correct. This is one of the few topics that really sets me off because the program is so perverse.

You know why some developers wanted to create "poor doors"? It was not because their market rate residents didn't want to deal with those who won in a lottery. Most market rate residents don't know they're living in 80/20's.

Imagine you're a market rate resident who has no idea that they're living in an 80/20 development.You get to know some of your neighbors and are in an elevator chatting it up. You come to find out that you pay $3K for a 1 bedroom while someone you just talked to in the elevator pays $1500 for a 3 bedroom. Not only would word travel through the building pretty quick but some of these people would absolutely blow their gasket. It would not only create tension within the building but with management.

You can argue that this is petty but if there's one universal situation that everyone dislikes, it's unfairness (or a sense of it). That's the reason for the "poor doors" and not the garbage narrative that the media pushes.

Getting to your 25K, how much disposable income can you have? Is your rent $500 with roommates? If so, how sustainable is that? You never plan to get in a relationship and have children? How sustainable is your lifestyle? Many things are sustainable in the short-medium term but that doesn't make it a long term solution.
Well they can't create poor doors, so those people will have to get over elevator conversations.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I am totally chary though because if a new mayor comes alone he could totally nix the program and then everyone in these 80/20's could wind up getting screwed. That would SUCK. Get in now while you can and then deal with it later I guess? And realize these apartments are not forever apartments. Politics could change in a matter of a year or so and we'd be screwed.
These 80/20s and other forms of affordable housing also involve state and federal tax credits, so a new mayor cannot just nix them. Plus because of the tax credits the developers get, any attempt to nix them would hit the buildings management hard with taxes. If Giuliani and Bloomberg couldn't get get rid of affordable housing (it expanded under Bloomberg) that lets you know that NO major NYC is going to elect will even try.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 AM

555 posts, read 619,113 times
Quote:
I feel as though when you hit the 20 year mark you should move out and give it to the next in need. I wish leases would state this. I actually think 10 years is more fair. Affordable housing is suppose to help you get your life together. You pay less rent so you are able to better yourself. And then a time should come you move out and give the place to the next in need. These apts don't belong to the individual in them. I know if I won a place, I wouldn't stay there for ever. I'd so what I had to do and pass it along.
i disagree, unless you envision a NYC where everyone must make 100k and pay market rate rents.

Look NYC is a city that needs low level workers and these workers need to live somewhere.

I wouldn't want a NYC only for rich people.

Some of the rents on these 80/20 units aren't even that cheap. they actually eat up a large portion of one's income. People living there aren't going to magically save 50k per year, they are still going to have to scrape by. You are basically saying these people need to double or triple their income in 10 years or leave NYC? how realistic is that?. that's not the purpose of 80/20 housing, I dont think its short term, if that were the case why even have it to begin with? How many people are going to realistically go from paying $1,200 or so for a 1 bedroom to being able to pay 3000-3500 in 10 years?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I lived in an 80/20 building as a market rate tenant. I shared a 1 bedroom paying $2600.
I knew people in the building and met a few who I'm sure where of the 20%. I wasn't mad about it even though my income as a single person put me in the bracket to get an apt there as a 20%. You can't live life so bitter thinking I should have this or that and why do they get this etc. I was happy I was in a nice building while I lived there even though it meant paying a lot to share a 1 bedroom.

AND stop asking questions that I already answered. Calm down and read what has been written.
I said I don't live with roommates now. I have my own apt and no its not $500.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
i disagree, unless you envision a NYC where everyone must make 100k and pay market rate rents.

Look NYC is a city that needs low level workers and these workers need to live somewhere.

Some of the rents on these 80/20 units aren't even that cheap. they actually eat up a large portion of one's income. People living there aren't going to magically save 50k per year, they are still going to have to scrape by. You are basically saying these people need to double or triple their income in 10 years or leave NYC? how realistic is that?. that's not the purpose of 80/20 housing, I dont think its short term, if that were the case why even have it to begin with? How many people are going to realistically go from paying $1,200 or so for a 1 bedroom to being able to pay 3000-3500 in 10 years?
I never said that. However you can't expect to be living off someone else. People become so entitled over these apts and act like they are theirs. Like how many threads we get about people being moved from a 3 bedrooms to a 1 bedroom cause their kids are grown and left and they kick and scream how unfair it is they have to give up "their" apt they had for 25 years.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:07 AM

555 posts, read 619,113 times
Quote:
I never said that. However you can't expect to be living off someone else. People become so entitled over these apts and act like they are theirs. Like how many threads we get about people being moved from a 3 bedrooms to a 1 bedroom cause their kids are grown and left and they kick and scream how unfair it is they have to give up "their" apt they had for 25 years.
as long as someone is putting in an honest 40 hour work week i have no problem with it.

Fact is a very small percentage of jobs pay enough to allow someone to afford $3,000 rent. So I don't buy this idea that everyone just needs to work harder or get better jobs as if there are really enough high paying jobs for everyone here. Millions of highly educated people who are willing to work would not be able to afford market rate rents in NYC.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
as long as someone is putting in an honest 40 hour work week i have no problem with it.

Fact is a very small percentage of jobs pay enough to allow someone to afford $3,000 rent. So I don't buy this idea that everyone just needs to work harder or get better jobs as if there are really enough high paying jobs for everyone here. Millions of highly educated people who are willing to work would not be able to afford market rate rents in NYC.
Well thats you fault for feeling you need to pay $3000 for rent. I rent in the Bronx for about $1100.
There are plenty of places to live less in nyc than $3000 so go live where u can afford. .

Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,365,442 times
Quote:

Quote:

You don't see the irony regarding the bolded sentence and your previous post?
You do realize that there's a huge middle class in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: