Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 11:51 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,361,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well they can't create poor doors, so those people will have to get over elevator conversations.
I agree with you. Although, landlords will find a way to accommodate their market rate tenants. There are always ways around the law. Especially, for those with connections and money to throw around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I lived in an 80/20 building as a market rate tenant. I shared a 1 bedroom paying $2600.
I knew people in the building and met a few who I'm sure where of the 20%. I wasn't mad about it even though my income as a single person put me in the bracket to get an apt there as a 20%. You can't live life so bitter thinking I should have this or that and why do they get this etc. I was happy I was in a nice building while I lived there even though it meant paying a lot to share a 1 bedroom.

AND stop asking questions that I already answered. Calm down and read what has been written.
I said I don't live with roommates now. I have my own apt and no its not $500.

You may not have been mad because you're not well off and snobby. Fact is, those that are well off, tend to be a little snobby. They don't live in expensive buildings just for the hell of it.

It's not that the market rate tenants would be bitter. It's a question of fairness. It's natural human reaction.

Why are you staying in your low paying job? The fact is your banking on an 80/20 to bail you out or one of the other myriad of NYC programs.

Why are so many adults working in McDonald's type jobs? Because NYC has made it possible to survive off of these jobs. The easiest thing to do is not to change and if things are going "OK", most humans will not change for the better. We're all guilty of that to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,245,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Why are so many adults working in McDonald's type jobs? Because NYC has made it possible to survive off of these jobs. The easiest thing to do is not to change and if things are going "OK", most humans will not change for the better. We're all guilty of that to some extent.
No, I am not banking on an affordable apt. I am just fine where I'm at. I of course throw my name in a hat like others. Why not? You are so wrapped up in other people lives that you forget you have one of your own. Work on getting what you want instead of assuming things about others.
I've been working at my job I have for over 20 years because it brings me happiness and it helps others. Life not all about money or yourself. I was brought up working since I was 10, I know how to take care of myself and do it well on not that much. Stop b*tching and moaning when people get the things you want.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No, I am not banking on an affordable apt. I am just fine where I'm at. I of course throw my name in a hat like others. Why not? You are so wrapped up in other people lives that you forget you have one of your own. Work on getting what you want instead of assuming things about others.
I've been working at my job I have for over 20 years because it brings me happiness and it helps others. Life not all about money or yourself. I was brought up working since I was 10, I know how to take care of myself and do it well on not that much. Stop b*tching and moaning when people get the things you want.
I'm arguing against a certain government policy. It's pretty standard. I've argued against other government policies on here that have nothing to do with this. If a government policy is unfair and irrational then it's wrong. Whether that benefits low income, middle income, minorities, or whites. I've railed against all tyopes of policies on City Data lol.

Your argument doesn't make sense. You've been working at a job for over 20 years and make 25K in NYC? I might not be a genius but something doesn't add up.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm arguing against a certain government policy. It's pretty standard. I've argued against other government policies on here that have nothing to do with this. If a government policy is unfair and irrational then it's wrong. Whether that benefits low income, middle income, minorities, or whites. I've railed against all tyopes of policies on City Data lol.

Your argument doesn't make sense. You've been working at a job for over 20 years and make 25K in NYC? I might not be a genius but something doesn't add up.
Yes MANY careers pay this in NYC.
Jobs that often are the most rewarding and helping others don't pay much.
It is what it is.
And again stop worrying about other people and what they make. Worry about yourself so you can afford to live in a market rate high rise that you are so jealous of others living in for cheaply.
I'm not taking a dime from the government and paying my own rent so why are you so concerned with what I make.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 96,238 times
Started as a simple question and received many good answers. Then it deteriorated. Why so much nastiness and abusive comments?
That is not helpful. If you have nothing helpful to say, why even reply?

Old 11-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrenter2006 View Post
Started as a simple question and received many good answers. Then it deteriorated. Why so much nastiness and abusive comments?
That is not helpful. If you have nothing helpful to say, why even reply?
Your question was basically this. "I've abused the 80/20 program and I was just wondering if the city can stop my abuse?" Frankly, I find your question abusive.

Why reply?
1. It's a forum which survives on hitting the reply button.
2. This program is perverse.
3. This program perpetuates government corruption in this great city.

I can go on and on and on.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Your question was basically this. "I've abused the 80/20 program and I was just wondering if the city can stop my abuse?" Frankly, I find your question abusive.

Why reply?
1. It's a forum which survives on hitting the reply button.
2. This program is perverse.
3. This program perpetuates government corruption in this great city.

I can go on and on and on.
We finally agree on something

Old 11-20-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
We finally agree on something
Nice.
I agree with you a bunch on other topics as well.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:17 PM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
It would make more sense if rent went up and down in accordance with income, which is what I believe is the case in Mitchell Lama buildings.

No, it is not.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,453,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrenter2006 View Post
I have done many searches and I can not find the answer to this question. I live in an 80-20 apt for many years now. Every year we submit tax returns and bank statements. My income has risen quite a lot in the past almost-20 years. So far I have been left alone. I need to know if there is a maximum amount I can make and still stay in my apartment. Much thanks in advance.
No, you cannot be evicted. You only need to qualify when you initially move in. They may try to get you out at some point because if too many people start making too much money, they won't be able to get their tax credits. If that ever happens, if the money they are offering for the buyout is good (think $50,000 or more), take it and run!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: